The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:28 pm 

What ship are you doing?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:29 pm 

I´m starting CV-10 Yorktown, as she appeared in June/July 1945, with Airgroup 88 onboard...

:cool_2: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:23 pm 

I don't really have any good interior shots of Yorktown. But I can give you some descriptions of interior spaces. I'll be writing about one aspect that is true for all of the carriers in a couple days.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:02 am 

grim reaper wrote:
Ok guys, I have a question; I'm stumped I've looked a books pics and I have yet to find pics of where the 20mm ready service lockers are placed, my guess would be where the mounts are located but no evidence that shows this any help is welcomed. Chad

Finally dug up the picture I have on this. This is ESSEX November 1944 following a Kamikaze hit. The ammo cans are visible on the bulkhead inboard of the catwalk. Normally these would be covered with a fabric "flash guard" meant to provide some measure of protection from fire; you can see these in the interiors of quad 40mm tubs as well.

By the way, 15 men died in this kamikaze hit and 44 others were wounded. That's probably blood you see on the deck at the base of the guns.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: Hangar Space Info
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:04 pm 

OK, been meaning to do this for a while.

One of the things that was reported early on with the Essex class was that night time operations in the hangar were highly disrupted by the need to darken the hangar whenever a door was opened. One of the solutions was the creation of what were initially called "Light Labrynths" around doorways to the outside. I've also seen them referred to as Light lockers. These were light sheet-metal covers over the inclined ladders leading up to doorways from the main (aka hangar) deck. The documentation I have on them indicates they were to be manufactured by the ship's force so they could have appeared at any time (as opposed to upon a major overhaul). If you want you can read the original I OCR'd and posted here.

CV-16 Lexington and CV-17 Bunker Hill got them first as they were test ships for the concept. All of the other ships should have got them starting July 1943 or so.

I have some pictures of them, here's one of CV-13 Franklin's damaged after the Kamikaze attack of October, 1944 (this was the one just aft of the #2 elevator that lead up to where the ship's launch was kept.

This is the top of one further aft on the port side as well as a slightly different shot.

This would be farther back on the port side.

There were very few open platforms on the inside bulkheads of these ships as compared to, say, the Yorktown class. There were some, and a lot in the overheads, but not to the doors out to the decks.

-Barbara Tuchman

Last edited by Tracy White on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:39 pm 

Tracy,

I wonder why they'd enclose the ENTIRE ladderwell? Modern warships use temporary canvas covered panels that fold out of the way during the day (as I'm sure you know). I wonder if it took a while for them to figure out how to do it more easily, or if the wide open expanses of the hangar deck made this necessary?

-Devin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:46 pm 

Well, these were just for the inclined ladders on the inside of the hangar bay. My guess was that they were still experimenting; hence the 20' black deck around the opening.

By the way, there were two at the forward limit of the hangar bay, just outboard the aft end of the #1 Elevator. I can see that. Just not clear enough to know anything other than that they were there. I have no idea what this structure look slike so if anyone could suggest a book that they know has a picture of this area I'd appreciate it!

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:44 pm 

Thankyou for the pictures of the Paravane chain openings Tracy. Do you happen to know if the chains made it up to the deck? Have you ever seen a picture of the chains at the bottom of the bow and how they enter the hull?

Again can't thankyou enough for your answers to mine and everyone elses questions. They have been a ton of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:09 pm 

James Noblin wrote:
Thankyou for the pictures of the Paravane chain openings Tracy. Do you happen to know if the chains made it up to the deck? Have you ever seen a picture of the chains at the bottom of the bow and how they enter the hull?

I don't know how but hte chains would have to get up to the deck somehow as that's where the paravanes were stored. I've seen a picture of the chains sort of ... taken from CV-10 Yorktown looking down into water that was so clear you could see all the way down to the bottom of the hull! Not an incredibly useful perspective however. Typically those chains didn't enter the hull on the bottom but passed through a hole in a special protrusion.

Hmmm I just came across a drawin in the AOTS Intrepid book that also has that same hole... I'll have to look into this some more.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:19 am 

So, let´s see... What do I have to change/add to my CV-10 Yorktown, if I want to build it as an (almost) exact replica of how she appeared in 1945 ???

Ok, I´ll need perforated catwalks (PE), flight deck foundations...and what more ???
Thanks...
:cool_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:53 pm 

I'll have to get back to you when I have a chance to write that much ;)
You have the CV-10 kit and not the CV-13?

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:59 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
I'll have to get back to you when I have a chance to write that much ;)
You have the CV-10 kit and not the CV-13?

Write that much ???? :eyes_spinning:
Yes, I do have CV-10... Why, are they much different ???

:cool_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:04 pm 

Lots of little details. For one, remove the starboard hangar cat. It has to be replaced with a sponson/platform though and it'll take me a while to find some references for you.

For two, Trumpeter errored on Franklin when they had the builder put the Mk 51 directors next to the added quad 40's... in most cases they were added to the catwalks ABOVE the guns and not next to them. I presume this error is the same for Yorktown but I have less photos of her so I'll have to look through those and double check.

Mk 51s for the added starboard quads are missing too... they're up on the island next to the 20mm platforms.

Just a lot of little stuff like that.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:16 pm 

I have no problem with extra work :big_grin:
My first intention was to point the omissions and errors from these models , so that anybody who wishes to produce an even greater model, won´t miss a thing... :smallsmile:

Pics will be great... :woo_hoo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:35 pm 

jmchaica wrote:
My first intention was to point the omissions and errors from these models , so that anybody who wishes to produce an even greater model, won´t miss a thing... :smallsmile:

That's my intent too, but in book form so that it can't get hacked or taken off line ;)

I do have pictures of Yorktown that are not on Navsource but the agreement I have precludes me from redistributing them; I'll be able to license them for a book but that's it. If I can use them to see what might be the same as Franklin I can help you there though. Franklin and Yorktown went through overhaul at the same yeard only a month or two appart so a lot of the updates are exactly the same.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
... I'll be able to license them for a book but that's it...

If you´re about to write/publish a book on Essex class carriers, I´ll be one of the first to buy it, for sure... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
I think that for such an important class of vessels, so little was written...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm 

You see some on individual ships but nothing like a walkaround for all of them.

But there are TONS of details to track and make sure are accurate. Radars alone are giving me fits and I'm about to send a check off to Ron to pay for some scans that will hopefully answer some questions. It's fun, but it's a lot of work!

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm 

Well, I´ve started myself a little collection of photos, but I´m sure it doesn´t get near to what you should have... Well, I guess thats the reason we spend time hanging around here, trying to get as much info as possible. Good luck with your book !!! :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 pm 

Decided to take a ride to the local hobby shop at lunch today (always dangerous to my wallet!) and saw they have the new 1/700 Trumpeter Yorktown and Franklin in stock, for $28.79. Being that I have the 350th Trumpeter Yorktown and the 700th Dragon Essex and Randolph, I didn't bite (but I did by wingy thing decals!). I'm curious to see how they stack up against the Dragon kits...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: 1/350 Trumpeter Kits
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:00 pm 
Can somebody please tell me the differences between the 1/350 Trumpeter Franklin and Yorktown kits, esp. in terms of the aircraft included?

Many thanks,

Ross

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 132  Next