The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:42 pm 

This is my first post so hopefully it comes out OK.

I am building a 1/720 collection of every carrier built since WWII. Of course the Midway's were a bit of a challenge since the only model out there of Midway is 1/800. I went with 1/720 to match up with all of the Itlaeri Kits. Of course I was done with around 9 Carriers when Trumpeter and Fujimi started the 1/700 Carriers.

I started with an ARII 1/800 Midway. I used Navsource.org to get a plan of Midway and worked with it on MS Paint to stretcht it to the right size for 1/720 scale. I took the kit and cut the ship up into segments and filled in the gaps with putty and pieces of extra kits that I have laying around.

I used the GMM PE set to detail the ships rails and radars and scratch built the updates to the island. I used the island from the 1/800 kit and it seems to looks OK.

The airwing is from Fujimi for the Hornets and Trumpeter for the Intruders, Hawkeyes and the COD. I had not completed the SH-3's when I took the photos but they are comming as well. I did the decals on my computer and printed them up.

I used Starfighter Decals Deck Markings for CVN-65 for the deck and weathered it with a cotton ball and black pastel chalk.

[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beaker76_2006/Midway/DSC00149.jpg[img][/img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beaker76_2006/Midway/DSC00158.jpghttp://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m ... C_3960.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:18 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:

Took the liberty to edit your post to get the images to show.

"We're all non-believers about most gods; atheists just go one god further."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:51 pm 
Thank you very much. Not sure what exactly I did wrong on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 pm 

:welcome: aboard Mark

:lol_spit_1:

Midway is one of my prefered carrier because the forms of the flying deck are alone.

Your Midway is looking very well with much aircrafts & mid dirty deck.
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 pm 

Image tags go like this:

[img]yourlink%20here[/img]

Or, you can just paste your link, then highlight it, then click the Img button once, and a [img]and[/img] will automatically be placed before and after the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:27 am 

Looks good mate! Love the aircraft on the deck, nice and crowded!

Ive only just figured how to post pics myself and yea it took me a while to figure it!

Great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 am 

Looks great, i am also building her along with her sister Coral Sea, which is going to take considerably more work. Trumpeters release of the aircraft sets has given my enthusiasm a boost. look forward to seeing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 am 

I have finnished the Coral Sea, 1970 ish and the F.D.R., 1964. There is more cutting that has to be done for those ships. I do love the Trumpeter Aircraft though! The Fujimi sets for Kittyhawk are also very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:19 pm 

I am doing Coral Sea as she was during Operation Prairie Fire on March 15 1986, also she will have USS America alongside her, plans at the moment are for:

1986 Operation Prairie Fire, USS Coral Sea and America

1988 Operation Praying Mantis, USS Enterprise

1989/90 Desert Shield/Storm, Uss Independence. Saratoga, Ranger, JFK and Roosevelt.

My order came in from my local shop yesterday, 24 boxes of Trumpeter aircraft, brings to a grand total of 40 sat on the shelf :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:46 pm 

Great job on the Midway! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

kidcurrie42 wrote:
1989/90 Desert Shield/Storm, Uss Independence. Saratoga, Ranger, JFK and Roosevelt

How do you plan to do JFK? Convert an America or Kitty Hawk kit?

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:18 pm 

I have used both America and Kittyhawk kits and plastic card, island is 90% finished, flightdeck has been reshaped and work has commenced on the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm 

I know what you mean on the aircraft. I have about 20 boxes of teh Skywave modern aircraft and about the same number of Fujimi kits for both modern and the F-4,F-8 kits as well. Then Trumpeter came out with theirs and I had to have those as well.

I have a Kennedy as well. In fact I am attempting to do photo's of her but my new camera is kicking my butt!

I did her using a 1/720 Italeri Kittyhawk and a monogram 1/800-ish kit of what they call Kittyhawk but is in fact, JFK! I used the island from the Monogram kit and cut the forward part of the angle off of both models and inserted the deck peice into the Italeri Kittyhawk to make JFK. I thought that I was done until I happened by the Kennedy at Mayport and the saw the stern area. Upon more photo inspection, I found that the stern sponsons that the Kittyhawks have are not on the Kennedy. More chopping and puttying and I was able to re-create the correct stern for JFK. Add CVW-1 for a 1974-ish look and there you have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:23 pm 

I know what you mean with the JFK stern, but i dont know what is easier, trying to get a JFK from the Italeri Kitty Hawk/Connie kit or trying to put right all the things that are wrong to get a decent Kitty Hawk or Connie, at least with the America it is with the exception of the funnell hight pretty accurate.
I hope santa brings me a decent camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:05 pm 

Hey GUYS or GIRLS need clear photos of FDR or any of the Midway class. Scrathbuilding a 1/350 FDR Nam era for a buddy's dad. Thank You! :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24 am 

It probably won't be completely useful for the Vietnam era but I took about 40-50 photos of the Midway model at the Pensacola Naval museum last week for my 1945 fit model and should get them posted in the next couple of weeks.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:17 pm 

Any photos will do Matt,Thanks :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:19 pm 
Anybody know how good the HP kit of FDR is?I think it's in 1958 fit.I've been thinking of getting that kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:08 pm 

tko24 wrote:
Anybody know how good the HP kit of FDR is?I think it's in 1958 fit.I've been thinking of getting that kit.

here is a link to the review section on the site, it wont let me direct link it for some reason. Just go to ship reviews in the top left menu, then 1/700 ships then HP models and its near the bottom.

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/reviews.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That page is in a frame. Next time right click and open the page in a new window, or in Firefox, click the show only this frame option. You will then see the true URL to link to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 pm 

tko24 wrote:
modeler Christoph Mentzel did a FDR in 1/700 scale. Just check out the modeler section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next