The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 pm 

Perhaps the lighter grey was hurriedly painted over the Home Fleet dark grey (leaving the lower hull in the darker colour as per HMS Legion in the photos) and it has weathered badly, revealing the Home Fleet scheme underneath?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:14 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Jack G wrote:
Thank you Ian for the wonderful photo.

In both that pic and the first IWM linked pic, I can see the darker colour being painted above the forward knuckle. That rules out shading.

So what we seem to have is an original lighter grey (507C?) being painted over with a darker grey (507A?) which is continually weathering off to reveal the lighter colour, and the ship's crew repainting nearer the waterline and island as they get the chance in the darker colour.

Can I confirm the darker grey on the lower hull is 507A? Any chance it could be 507B?

507A = 507B in colour and by this time enamel use had been ordered discontinued for about a year so it's highly unlikely to have been the 507B formulation of Home Fleet Grey.

Given how light the book topping and flight deck appear in this image, I'd still plump for 507C and 507A here.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 am 

Thank you James, that is what I will do on my 1/700 model and if all goes well, the 1/350. Modelling that level of weathering is going to be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:36 pm 

Hello guys!
I'm now building a model of HMS Ark Royal (the one by Merit in 1/350).
The questions are:
1. How can I improve this kit in order to achieve smth really close to what did she look like during the chase of Bismark?
2. Does anybody know, of what types of planes and of what squadrons (numbers, possibly) did Ark's airwing consist at that time (May 26, 1941)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm 

MagisterMan wrote:
smth

??

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:19 pm 

ARK's squadrons during the BISMARCK chase were 810, 818 and 820 (Swordfish) and 808 (Fulmar).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:11 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
MagisterMan wrote:
smth

??

Something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:22 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Something.

:thumbs_up_1: Thanks. Not hip to the lingo the cool kids use these days. :big_grin:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm 

New user one here, i want to build Ark Royal in a diorama at the time of her sinking in 1/700. I was thinking of HMS Legion alongside and the Ark Royal listing. There seems to be the Aoshima and Trumpeter models, which look to be nice models but waterline only and with the images i have seen would not work so well. However I’ve seen rumours of a new Trumpeter model that would be full hull. Is this just a rumour or has anyone heard if Trumpeter are doing this...
Ray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 pm 

rayb wrote:
New user one here, i want to build Ark Royal in a diorama at the time of her sinking in 1/700. I was thinking of HMS Legion alongside and the Ark Royal listing. There seems to be the Aoshima and Trumpeter models, which look to be nice models but waterline only and with the images i have seen would not work so well. However I’ve seen rumours of a new Trumpeter model that would be full hull. Is this just a rumour or has anyone heard if Trumpeter are doing this...
Ray

Not sure if Trumpeter is going to make a full hull, but I have the Trumpeter and Aoshima kits, I like the Trumpeter more. It’s quarterdeck and foredeck are open and the quarterdeck bulkheads are nice, so if you’re building the listing Ark Royal they are more visible. The list isn’t so severe that a full full is required.you can use sheet plastic strip and follow the hull line. The hull is showing in the photos isn’t curved too much. Unless of course you’re building her as she’s capsizing.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 am 

Can anyone tell me what the max Beam was for HMS Ark Royal at the water line ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 am 

Include here a clipping from the complete hull lines plan in the NMM Greenwich. Very frustrating, the figures aren't readable.
Attachment:
Ark Royal 1934 Hull lines.jpg
Ark Royal 1934 Hull lines.jpg [ 48.05 KiB | Viewed 4197 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:49 pm 

Richard OMalley wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the max Beam was for HMS Ark Royal at the water line ?

95 feet 9 inches - unconfirmed though.

This is the same as the original figure for the Illustrious class, and I have no better data to go by.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:00 pm 

List of available kits and gallery entries added to the first page

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm 

Does anyone know when the Ark Royal got the port side Pom-Poms? I would think that she received them early in the war due to the importance of the ship

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm 

dhogue wrote:
Does anyone know when the Ark Royal got the port side Pom-Poms? I would think that she received them early in the war due to the importance of the ship

I read somewhere it was May 1941, but the only place she could have got them in May was Gibraltar.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:25 pm 

There is a CAFO that lists the fitting of AA armament to RN ships, which includes Ark Royal's port pom-poms, but I can't now find my reference to it, but from memory I think it was May/June 1941. I've also not found a photo of a Skua and the port pom-poms, and 800 Squadron Skuas finally disembarked in April 1941.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 am 

Although only a secondary source, Kenneth Poolman Ark Royal (London: William Kimber, 1956) states "Just before Ark Royal sailed [for Operation Halberd, September 1941], her new port midships multiple pom-pom guns arrived on the dockside [in Gibraltar]. ... got them hoisted inboard and bolted down just in time." The book then says that the mountings (with extemporised crews) shot down two Italian torpedo-bombers in this operation.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am 

Thanks for the Pom Pom info. Anyone have an opinion whether or not the open compass platform would have corticene or painted deck?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 am 

Here's a photo that we may not have seen before:

The Royal Navy Nelson-class battleship HMS Rodney and the Revenge-class battleship HMS Royal Oak can bee seen tied up at anchor as viewed from the flat top flight deck of the fleet aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal in Portsmouth Dockyard on 23 November 1938 in Portsmouth (Photo by Reg Speller/Fox Photos/Hulton Archive/Getty Images). Copyright: 2016 Getty Images

Those who know Portsmouth will get a good feel of the setting of where she is, and shows her deck fairly close up. Nice to see the two legendary battleships in the background too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next