The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
I have this version by Aoshima in 1/700: http://static.hlj.com/images/aos/aos01018_0.jpg WEM makes this PE set: https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM ... 6yU-zVXmYM Is this this PE set appropriate for this version of Arc Royal? I also intend on using 3DModelParts weapons upgrade set: http://www.3dmodelparts.com/1-700-ark-r ... apons-set/ . :wave_1:

That set is 1/700 scale. The Merit kit is 1/350 scale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:46 am 

I'm not discussing the Merit kit. My question concerned the 1/700 Aoshima kit and White Ensign PE. Didn't mean to confuse you - is there another thread just for 1/700 Arc Royals?? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:29 pm 

In David Hobb's British Aircraft Carriers book, it's described that Ark Royal has funny arrangement for the 3 lifts where each only serviced one deck. Now there's only 2 hanger decks but 3 lifts so don't know how this 'each' can be allocated. It also describes how one lift is used to move aircraft from lower hanger to upper hanger and another used to move aircraft from upper hanger to the flight deck. Now there are 3 lifts obviously visible on flightdeck - is this only a procedural rather than structural? (unless of course, out of the 3 lifts, only some can go down to the lower hanger?) It's not obvious to me why this arrangement if some of the lifts can operate all the way from lower hanger to flight deck..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:32 am 

Each of ARK ROYAL's three lifts had two platforms in the same lift shaft; one would travel between lower hangar and upper hangar, the other between upper hangar and flight deck. This meant that only one hole in the decks would be open at any given time, hydraulic rams could drive the lift directly for the shorter travel rather than a more complicated arrangement of wires and pulleys.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:51 am 

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense now! In retrospect this is what 'one lift servicing each deck' means..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:05 am 

I noticed amongst some of the photos from Telford (http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... &Itemid=55) Tetra Model Works is bring out a PE set for Merit's 1/350 HMS Ark Royal priced at GBP134. Look for pic #79. Cannot find any mention of it on Tetra's website though but there is listed 1/350 Royal Navy Fleet Aircraft Set 1(Swordfish, Fulmar MK1, Blackburn Skus) for Merit http://www.tetramodel.co.kr/index.php/s ... for-merit/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:31 pm 

:woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:52 pm 
Hello, Gentlemen!

I'm approaching the end of my Merit International 1/350 build of HMS Ark Royal, and have a rather simple (and possibly naive) question about the liferafts. The painting instructions in the kit state that the centers should be tan and the oval rims "tire black", but virtually all the photos I've seen of the ship seem to show gray liferafts, at least for the rims. Would these be the same color as the adjacent hull? What about the "tan" centers -- also incorrect? Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Bob Apfelzweig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 am 

apfelzra wrote:
Hello, Gentlemen!

I'm approaching the end of my Merit International 1/350 build of HMS Ark Royal, and have a rather simple (and possibly naive) question about the liferafts. The painting instructions in the kit state that the centers should be tan and the oval rims "tire black", but virtually all the photos I've seen of the ship seem to show gray liferafts, at least for the rims. Would these be the same color as the adjacent hull? What about the "tan" centers -- also incorrect? Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Bob Apfelzweig

I am back from holidays and only saw this now. I did not see any photos with a different shade either. Besides they are easy to paint over if they are wrong. I am feeling a little let down now with the new photo etch kits coming out for this kit. I feel some replacement parts are just overkill and totally not necessary but I would like to fix up the island structure and cranes. Incidentally I have darkened my flight deck since I presented it here as I felt it was not quite right. I did not glue the parts on leaving it easy to paint over if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 am 

hello !

something new concerning paint scheme at time of sinking ? (medium or dark grey ?)

and does someone know the main features to correct to do a 1941 ship starting with merit 1939 (1/350) model ?

thank you !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:16 am 

Building the Merit Ark Royal with the Tetra kit. Which comes with the update parts for a 1941 fit consisting of deck sheilding for her guns.
Can anyone tell me the colours inside the open areas of the ship. Were the ceilings painted white with grey walls and a deck colour? I know the aft open area had white painted walls and girders.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

Trumpeter's 1/700 Ark Royal has been released - photos of kit sprues and instructions on Hobby Search: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10489819

No hangar deck or posable elevators, and waterline only.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 am 

David Gatt wrote:
Building the Merit Ark Royal with the Tetra kit. Which comes with the update parts for a 1941 fit consisting of deck sheilding for her guns.
Can anyone tell me the colours inside the open areas of the ship. Were the ceilings painted white with grey walls and a deck colour? I know the aft open area had white painted walls and girders.
Thanks.

I have seen a Pontos detail up kit that I believe they depicted wooden decks on the forecastle and quarterdeck as well as the gun mound decks. I am not sure where they got their information from.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 am 

I am just wondering if anyone here knows if the Blackburn Skuas and Fairey Fulmars had a camo pattern when on the Ark Royal at various times as depicted in the Merit kit and if so what pattern and paint scheme to go for? Is their instruction sheet accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:34 pm 

Sutho wrote:
I am just wondering if anyone here knows if the Blackburn Skuas and Fairey Fulmars had a camo pattern when on the Ark Royal at various times as depicted in the Merit kit and if so what pattern and paint scheme to go for? Is their instruction sheet accurate.

AR's Swordfish were camouflaged in the summer of 1939, but her Skuas were not camouflaged until after AR returned from the South Atlantic. During the Norwegian Campaign their camouflage went through a number of significant changes: the key one being the overpainting of the undersurface black and white IFF markings with sky blue (possibly a local mix of blue and white). The first Fulmar squadron replaced one of the Skua squadrons in October 1940. Early examples may also have had sky blue undersurfaces. Later examples were in standard Temperate Sea Scheme with Sky undersurfaces. National recognition markings also changed during this period; specifically in early June 1940 when fin flashes were introduced and a yellow concentric was added to the fuselage roundel. The size and shape of the fin flash varied by aircraft type and date.

Full details are given in my book Fleet Air Arm Camouflage and Markings Atlantic and Mediterranean Theatres 1937 - 1941 (ISBN 978-1-905414-08-6). Speculation in the book concerning the use of sky blue during the later part of the Norwegian campaign was confirmed when Casson's Skua L2896 was recovered in 2008 (see here: http://luftfartsmuseum.no/fly/project-b ... 6-green-a/)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 pm 

At the time of her loss, I would guess that HMS Ark Royal was painted 507c (very weathered with lots of 507a/b showing through). This seems to be consistent with the picture of Ark Royal with HMS Legion just prior to sinking. HMS Legion is camouflaged with a 507c superstructure and a 507a/b hull with the hull being quite dark the superstructure much lighter. The superstructure of HMS Legion is closer to the color of Ark Royal than is the hull of HMS Legion. Additionally, a 507c camouflage would consistent with service in the Med. Am I correct? Thanks so much, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

I've finally got round to building my Aoshima 1/700 Ark Royal. After speaking with Jamie Duff, I've elected to paint her Dark Grey (507A) overall with a Bronze Grey flight deck. It's too late to change now, as the flight deck is ready for decals! Now I'm guessing this means the paint job is wrong for the time of her sinking but what time period would that be correct for? That will determine whether I use Fulmar's or Skua's for one thing. Also, I've seen someone model Ark Royal with radar on her HACS, is this correct and if so, when were they fitted? Last question for now, would she have had railings around the main ship's boat platforms (where the large cranes were)?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am 

Mike W wrote:
I've finally got round to building my Aoshima 1/700 Ark Royal. After speaking with Jamie Duff, I've elected to paint her Dark Grey (507A) overall with a Bronze Grey flight deck. It's too late to change now, as the flight deck is ready for decals! Now I'm guessing this means the paint job is wrong for the time of her sinking but what time period would that be correct for? That will determine whether I use Fulmar's or Skua's for one thing. Also, I've seen someone model Ark Royal with radar on her HACS, is this correct and if so, when were they fitted? Last question for now, would she have had railings around the main ship's boat platforms (where the large cranes were)?

thanks
Mike

The information is quite new and has taken a lot of us by surprise regarding the colours. There are plenty of photos of the ship with dark hull and light upper paints with what appears to be 507A at the lower part of the hull and 507C at the top half. Even photos of it sinking depict this.

If you have elected to paint it entirely in 507A and if this is similar to his version of Home Fleet Grey which I believe he is changing somewhat then it may well be during Bismarck action that it wore this scheme as well as a small period of time after commissioning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 am 

"a small period of time after commissioning" is over 2yrs as she was commissioned in December 1938 & the Bismarck action was in May 1941.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am 

Sutho wrote:
The information is quite new and has taken a lot of us by surprise regarding the colours. There are plenty of photos of the ship with dark hull and light upper paints with what appears to be 507A at the lower part of the hull and 507C at the top half. Even photos of it sinking depict this.

If you have elected to paint it entirely in 507A and if this is similar to his version of Home Fleet Grey which I believe he is changing somewhat then it may well be during Bismarck action that it wore this scheme as well as a small period of time after commissioning.

It should be said that there has been considerable discussion of the colours seen in the photos of the sinking ship, and identification of two distinct colours has been disputed. I don't recall whether there was any satisfactory conclusion of the matter, so I'm not sticking my neck out other than to say that the single colour information shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next