The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:08 pm 

I'd like to add a few additional comments and a mea culpa or two for my recent criticisms of the Very Fire detail set for the 1/350 Merit International HMS Ark Royal. Some of the "missing" parts (e.g., the port and starboard railings for the wrap-around stern catwalk) were actually in the kit, just not identified or illustrated in the assembly instructions. In any case, their assembly and installation were quite difficult and required way too much CA glue. And at least two of the four loudspeakers have been placed (according to the badly faded instructions) at the top of the funnel on either side of the centerline facing forward and slightly to port and starboard. There are still quite a few small photoetch parts whose identity and positioning are still a mystery. Also, the kit includes about 90 or so tiny resin cylinders that the instructions label as "life jackets", but I have no idea where to place them on the ship. One set of parts I had to ignore were the wood decks for the enclosed forecastle and quarterdecks and the twin 4.5-in mounts; these would have required removal of the flight deck, which would have been too much trouble and would likely result in a ruined model. Besides, even if installed, those deck segments for the 4.5-in mounts may not have been accurate, and the two larger end deck segments would be very difficult to see through the hull openings. One other question I have for the Royal Navy aircraft carrier experts out there -- the Merit plastic kit includes a number of decal white lines for the flight deck, including some making a rectangular pattern around the three elevators. There is also a large central white line running the length of the flight deck. Were those white elevator markings actually present when the ship was sunk?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:14 pm 

Howdy all, I am starting on the 1/350 Merit, would like to portray her at sinking with HMS Legion rendering assistance.
I have questions regarding the bulkheads colors, in several images, the enclosed quarterdeck deck supports seem a very light color possibly white, in contrast with all the open side alcoves that seem to be the same grey as the outer upper hull.
Is there any guidance out there?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:32 am 

dhogue wrote:
Does anyone know when the Ark Royal got the port side Pom-Poms? I would think that she received them early in the war due to the importance of the ship

21st - 24th April 1941

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17