The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:58 pm 

What was the colour of the deck crane vehicle on the Colossus class carriers in both WWII and the post-war period up to the 1950s?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:40 am 

Kazec wrote:
What was the colour of the deck crane vehicle on the Colossus class carriers in both WWII and the post-war period up to the 1950s?

Post-war mostly yellow, I don't know what that would have been in WW2.
Maarten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am 

I wonder if reds and blues came before a change to yellow?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142978726 ... otostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142978726 ... otostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142978726 ... 834088397/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:25 pm 

Specific for HMS Eagle 1955 maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Specific for HMS Eagle 1955 maybe?

I don't think so. There is some colour film on Glory 1952/53. Tractors appear to be red and blue (although one has a light bonnet). See especially at the 3 min 21 sec mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnpMc0Qap0M

Attachment:
Glory 1952 Korea c.jpg
Glory 1952 Korea c.jpg [ 164.69 KiB | Viewed 4440 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:08 am 

Ah, that video. The one that made me scratchbuild three Clarkats. It looks like they simply painted the clarkats in dark blue and use the 4 primary colors on the bonnets to get an easy visual difference between them. I decided to leave it at that and not paint the white horizontal stripe in 1/700. The red tractors appeared on british carriers in the mid 50s before standardizing in yellow like the rest of NATO later in the decade . All crash cranes on RN carriers before 1960 were painted in a dark blue ish grey.

Last edited by Pieter on Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:53 am 

Happy New Year 2023!

I have a quick question about the small boats carried by HMS GLory.

Based on historical photos, am i safe to say

Starboard: 1 32ft life cutter (or 30ft gig?) + 2 x 25ft Fast Motor Boat
Portside: at least 1 32ft lift cutter (or 30ft gig?)

Attachments:
hms-glory-at-vancouver-nov-1945.jpg
hms-glory-at-vancouver-nov-1945.jpg [ 142.92 KiB | Viewed 3942 times ]
hms-glory-at-malta.jpg
hms-glory-at-malta.jpg [ 420.11 KiB | Viewed 3942 times ]
R62-HMS-Glory-02.jpg
R62-HMS-Glory-02.jpg [ 429.48 KiB | Viewed 3942 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 am 

hj1985

To improve the accuracy of what you understand:

a. Port side close up: There is a 32ft pulling cutter below the flight deck. There is a covered fast motor boat on the flight deck. The length is unknown.
b. Starboard bow high angle shot: The boat below the flight deck and forward of the bridge superstructure is a 32ft motor cutter. There is an unidentifiable boat crutched down at flight deck level abaft the bridge: possible 32ft pulling cutter. I cannot identify the two fast motor boats below and aft of it.
c. Starboard bow sea level shot: As for b above except there is a 16ft fast motor dinghy crutched down on the sponson abaft the bridge superstructure instead of what was thought to be a possible 32ft pulling cutter: again, I cannot identify the two fast motor boats.

To be pedantic to the nth degree. The term "life cutter" is only used on the official drawings. The service term would have been "seaboat" though they did have a "lifesaving" function when employed to recover men fallen overboard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:40 am 

Does anyone know the depth of the flight deck to the waterline of the Colussus class?

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:46 am 
Load draught, deep draught or draught "as designed?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:55 am 

Charybdis wrote:
Does anyone know the depth of the flight deck to the waterline of the Colussus class?

The vertical distance from the keel to the top of the flight deck is 62ft 6in. The distance from the keel to the (design) waterline is 24ft 6.5in.
So that makes 37ft 11.5in from the waterline to the top of the flight deck. For modelling purposes let's call it 38 feet. :smallsmile:
Attachment:
NL-HaNA_4.MST_3210_deelopname03-1200px.jpg
NL-HaNA_4.MST_3210_deelopname03-1200px.jpg [ 240.13 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

To be complete: please note the flight deck is not entirely flat, but rounded off to the sides about 4 inches. The dimensions above are measured on the centerline of the ship.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:31 pm 

Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for.

What publication is that drawing from?

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Charybdis wrote:

The vertical distance from the keel to the top of the flight deck is 62ft 6in. The distance from the keel to the (design) waterline is 24ft 6.5in.
So that makes 37ft 11.5in from the waterline to the top of the flight deck. For modelling purposes let's call it 38 feet. :smallsmile:
Attachment:
NL-HaNA_4.MST_3210_deelopname03-1200px.jpg

To be complete: please note the flight deck is not entirely flat, but rounded off to the sides about 4 inches. The dimensions above are measured on the centerline of the ship.

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:52 am 

Charybdis wrote:
Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for.

What publication is that drawing from?

That is from a clipping of one of the 44 plans (3190-3233) of HNLMS Karel Doorman (ex HMS Venerable) in the Dutch National Archives. In this case the Docking Plan, nr. 3210:
https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/onderzoeken/archief/4.MST/invnr/%401~1.2~1.2.20~3190-3233

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:29 pm 

I opened the box when this kit (series of kits) first came out and got bogged down with some still-unanswered questions about the armament.

But now I have decided to build one straight out of the box and deal with the questionable details for the next build. I'm finding the kit to be pretty exciting, and realizing the wartime Admiralty camouflage as applied to this class, will really make it look unique. I'm sure Tom's PE set will be a great addition to the next build.

But before I get too deep into it though, what about an LSO platform? I can't find many photos of the port quarter, and none close-up, but it seems there was no dedicated LSO platform. Does that even make sense?

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:47 am 

I 3D printed my LSO platform. I've got a couple pictures of the Bonnie's LSO Platform that I've dug up. I'll post them when I can find them!

Here's one view:

Attachments:
Bonnie Saluting Guns Closed Up.JPG
Bonnie Saluting Guns Closed Up.JPG [ 125.48 KiB | Viewed 3647 times ]

ICBM Address: 44:78N 063:63W

Ex RCN, HMC Ships Gatineau, Athabaskan, Charlottetown, St. John's, Montreal, Charlottetown, Summerside, Montreal.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:20 am 

Rick_H wrote:
I opened the box when this kit (series of kits) first came out and got bogged down with some still-unanswered questions about the armament.

But now I have decided to build one straight out of the box and deal with the questionable details for the next build. I'm finding the kit to be pretty exciting, and realizing the wartime Admiralty camouflage as applied to this class, will really make it look unique. I'm sure Tom's PE set will be a great addition to the next build.

But before I get too deep into it though, what about an LSO platform? I can't find many photos of the port quarter, and none close-up, but it seems there was no dedicated LSO platform. Does that even make sense?

Well, I believe that the original Colossus/Majestic class ships didn't have a separate LSO platform whatsoever. Neither did the Essex class, did they?

But when the ships got modified one after another with an angle deck, then also the LSO platforms were introduced. Karel Doorman (from which I'm best informed about) certainly got an LSO platform in its 1955 modification.

So in my view: when you build one of the kits in their 'wartime' configuration, then there wouldn't be a separate LSO platform.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:23 pm 

Here's the picture I found, and the printed version I made with the 'wind break' arms in the raised position.

I'll note that I have not seen many photos of Bonnie with the legs raised, nor with anyone manning the position during flight ops. I think with the DLPS Landing light system, there was a reduced need for it maybe?

Attachments:
LSO Platform.jpg
LSO Platform.jpg [ 126.88 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]
LSO Platform 3D file.JPG
LSO Platform 3D file.JPG [ 61.48 KiB | Viewed 3621 times ]

ICBM Address: 44:78N 063:63W

Ex RCN, HMC Ships Gatineau, Athabaskan, Charlottetown, St. John's, Montreal, Charlottetown, Summerside, Montreal.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:18 pm 

Rick_H wrote:

Rick, I missed which kit you are referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:44 am 

Darren,
I am referring in general to the IHP straight deck Colossus class. I think the answers above reassure me that there wasn't a dedicated LSO platform before the angle deck modifications. I think my first build will be Venerable, as deployed in 1945 for an absolutely out-of-the-box build,so I can use that interesting paint scheme with the white countershading.
Thanks,
Rick

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:11 pm 

Rick, A little late to the party, but here is what I've found.

I've included only the straight deck ships that had photos clear enough to identify the LSO platform.
There seems to be 2 main spots for the LSO. Port side near the stern, and Port side closer to midships similar to more modern designs.
The designs are very basic, with a net or tarp underneath to catch blow offs.
A folding wind break is shown on some, but not all.
Ocean's builders model had a midship platform. One photo shows a midship, and one an aft one.
Sydney has both an aft and mid platform at the same time.

Aft platforms.

Midship platforms.

Both.

HTH's!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next