The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 pm 

any more drawings or computer images of the ship?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 am 
They have already been testing the new cats with the Naval version of the JSF as well as an F-18SH and I'am pleased to of read that everything went well and they are shipping the parts to Newport News to be installed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:07 pm 

Slightly off-topic, but it is interesting to note that the RN has requested long-lead items for the EMALS for their QE/POW carriers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 pm 

EMALS = ?
And please USA, name one the new carriers a USS Franklin Pierce ! None remembers him anymore, Im reading the Biography of Franklin Pierce by Roy Franklin:Franklin Pierce, Young Hickory of the Granite Hills, amazing persona !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 pm 

Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System, i.e. the new non-steam catapult.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:47 pm 

new cat system it works! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLsg_viWW0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 am 
Heard they might slow down construction due to the 1 trillion dollars in budget cuts to the DOD. Anyone heard about it? Is it just a proposal?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:33 am 

I believe that's only being considered for the Kennedy - Ford will keep to the as-planned 5-year schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:38 pm 

Wow, reading all of this shows how little I know about these new carriers. So, with this in mind, I'm about ready to start designing USS Enterprise CVN-81. Going to make it in 1/350. Probably by the time I finish it there will already be a kit out.

On a side note, I am working on a future military story, and one of the Nimitz class carriers is renamed. I am thinking USS George Bush is going to become USS Lexington. I might also do a series of Ford class carriers with classic names. I think after Enterprise I will build CVN-82 as USS Hornet.

Ryon Olson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm 

carr wrote:
Timmy C wrote:
And truly, was not the Nautilus and its nuclear plant developed concurrently with success?

I may well be wrong, here, but my vague recollection is that the Navy operated full scale nuclear plants on land for some time prior to Nautilus so, no, they were not developed concurrently.

Correct.

The Navy, via the Department of Energy and Naval Reactors Program, builds and operates reactor prototypes at (now) two different facilities: Idaho National Engineering Laboratory in eastern Idaho and the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in West Milton, NY (Albany region, Upstate). These facilities are used to test reactor and fuel core designs and also to train sailors seeking to qualify for reactor operations. A third reactor prototype site once operated in Windsor, CT, but was decommissioned and dismantled in the early 2000s.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm 
Sorry to tell you all this but I just read on the USS Ford websight that the next ship in the class CVN-79 is the John F. Kennedy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm 

We had a discussion on that when it was first announced; every few months there's a discussion (well,more like raging criticism) on naming ships after politicians.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
We had a discussion on that when it was first announced; every few months there's a discussion (well,more like raging criticism) on naming ships after politicians.

What a can of worms. On the other hand, we haven't had this discussion in a while. :heh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:37 am 
As long as it takes to build a Carrier now a day's. Most of us might be dead already before we see a new Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet, Saratoga.
I believe the next ship after Kennedy though will be Enterprise. Got to keep the petitions in the Congress's ears though. I don't think budget cuts will affect the Carrier program to much because they take so long to make that what ever the number we went to a major war with is how many we would fight with because the war would be over before we could build any more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 pm 

She's looking good! :thumbs_up_1:
http://gizmodo.com/5944380/aboard-the-l ... f-tomorrow

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:10 pm 
Yes, launches next June 2013. Excited for some reason to see her and her design. Yes, for me a little early to rename a carrier Kennedy. I still remember CV-67 and she is not even scrapped yet. I'm sure they did it for Senator Edward Kennedy. Would like to see though another Yorktown and Lexington as carriers but sorry to say don't think I will live that long at current construction pace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 pm 

DennisJP wrote:
As long as it takes to build a Carrier now a day's. Most of us might be dead already before we see a new Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet, Saratoga.

The new US aircraft carriers might no longer be given legacy names. The latest amphibious assault ship that was commissioned on October 20, 2012, is USS America, LHA 6. Ships in the LHD class given the names of famous CV's include the Wasp (LHD 1), Essex (LHD 2), Kearsarge (LHD 3), and Bon Homme Richard (LHD 6). But let us hope that the powers that be shall transfer the Enterprise name to another CVN.

GR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm 

G-Rider wrote:
DennisJP wrote:

The new US aircraft carriers might no longer be given legacy names. The latest amphibious assault ship that was commissioned on October 20, 2012, is USS America, LHA 6. Ships in the LHD class given the names of famous CV's include the Wasp (LHD 1), Essex (LHD 2), Kearsarge (LHD 3), and Bon Homme Richard (LHD 6). But let us hope that the powers that be shall transfer the Enterprise name to another CVN.

GR

Well, those who were hoping for CVN-80 to be named "Enterprise" have their wish.

The Secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus, made the announcement on Dec 1, 2012 during the "inactivation"ceremony for CVN-65:
http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts ... -lives-on/

"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name, "Enterprise"!" ;)

I'm a new member and a first time poster, but I saw that this hasn't been mentioned in this forum.

RPH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm 

Welcome!

That great piece of news did actually get posted on this forum, but in the Main section and not in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm 

Image she has her island. looks like a rock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next