The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:20 pm 

I watched that Magic Factory video for the 1/700 scale Gerald Ford carrier model.
I'm sure it's a nice kit and all. But I'll pass on buying it. 1/700 scale is too small for my eyesight.
I even passed on buying the 3D Wild 1/350 scale Ford carrier as that is too expensive for me to buy.
Since there's nobody else coming out with a 1/350 plastic Gerald Ford carrier kit, I decided to make my own by heavily converting a TAMIYA Enterprise carrier kit. It's not going to be an exact copy of the Ford class, but I'd rather think of it as a future what if "Flight II" version circa timeframe of 2045 or so.
I even scratch built a more stealthy island superstructure for my carrier. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:05 pm 

I got the kits I pre-ordered from Squadron yesterday and started building. This kit... is really nice. I built up all the sponsons, the hangar, and the lower portion of the island over a 3-hour build party session last night. Good fit, sturdy parts with well-placed sprue connection points... a real joy, the kind of assembly that makes you want to just keep going. Had to stop myself to keep some parts accessible for easier painting and just a tiny bit of cleanup. My praise may all change once I start affixing the sponsons to the hull (kept them off last night - in part to facilitate some detail painting, but mostly to keep using the kit's snug hull and deck packaging for just a little bit longer) - but it's been great so far so I doubt they'll drop the ball at that critical point.

Agreed, the deck detail is heavy-handed, and at first glance inside the box I was thinking this kit looked very toy-like, but no - assembly is most definitely that of a true model. I may let the paint flow a bit thick on the flight deck to tone it down a bit... and once the decals are on over the scribed marking it ought to look a bit better.

Personally I find the Ford to be a pug-ugly ship and I figured I'd build it grudgingly just for its place in my carrier collection, but this kit has really got me having fun. Well done, Magic Factory.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:21 am 

Finished! The Magic Factory kit is a superb build. Highly recommended. But be aware, if you plan to add railings, you'll need a lot of them! Sure didn't seem like it at first glance.
Attachment:
Ford Overhead.JPG
Ford Overhead.JPG [ 698.26 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]

Attachment:
Ford Port.JPG
Ford Port.JPG [ 775.51 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]

Attachment:
Fore Starboard Fore.JPG
Fore Starboard Fore.JPG [ 1003.65 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]

- Sean F.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7