The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:00 pm 
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the wooden deck on this kit and do you think it was worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 pm 

What modifications are needed to build Cowpens, CVL-25, Aug. 1944, and Belleau Wood, CVL-24, Aug.1944 from Independance, CVL-22 ? Thanks.
Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:39 pm 

Not having seen the kits, it might be good to wait for just a little longer. Dragon announced a Princeton kit, and I would guess that this would be a better starting point than an early '43 Indy. I am guessing that Princeton will be in her "as lost" config, which is closer (and more adaptable) to the '44 config for the others. At the very least, you would have the two kits to compare to your target ship to see which better fits your needs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:30 pm 

I have a Revell 1/700 CVL-22 (kit #05026) that I'd like to build. Since it's a bit simplistic, could you tell me if there are aftermarket PE sets for it? I've just started building ships and I'm a bit lost, I'd really appreciate some pointers..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

FBMinis wrote:
I have a Revell 1/700 CVL-22 (kit #05026) that I'd like to build. Since it's a bit simplistic, could you tell me if there are aftermarket PE sets for it? I've just started building ships and I'm a bit lost, I'd really appreciate some pointers..

Gold Medal Models makes a PE set designed to fit the 1/700 CVL kits. The set is 700-24.

I thought Tom's Modelworks made a set as well, but I can't find it in their on-line catalog.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 pm 

That GMM set is very tempting and I found it at L'Arsenal (France)... :)

Thank you :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 am 

Hi everyone, first post so bear with me.... I have experience of building aircraft but this is my first foray into ships having received the Dragon 1/350 independence CVL-22 kit as an early Birthday gift 2 weeks ago.

The kit as you are aware comes with 2 possible variations; Early 1943 shakedown assembly and Mid-Late 1943/Early 1944 war cruise assembly (This is of course pre the 1944 Measure 33 scheme, with extra catapult). I want to build independence circa September/October 1943 as she would have looked during the attacks on Marcus Island and Wake Island, however sources conflict as to what paint scheme she had at this time.

I have read kit reviews and other information on the ship that states her war cruise colours were Measure 21 and the kit itself comes with paint details for this scheme.

But.... http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochu ... olours.htm and http://www.shipcamouflage.com/usn_cvl.htm
seem to indicate that Independence never carried Measure 21!!

This simple problem has me tearing out what is left of my hair so all help appreciated!!! I notice that there is also confusion and disagreement over the colours of USS Arizona at the time of the Pearl Harbor attacks sos suspect that this confusion is typical of early 40s US War Ships, that were constantly in for repair, re-fit and repainting (Am i correct in this assumption?).

If some one can confirm this for me, you will make me an extremely happy man!! Also just for my personal information on the ship's background, if she ever did carry Measure 21, at what point in time after shakedown was this re-painting done?

Thanks in advance

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:14 am 

The Shipcamouflage site needs to be updated... (Bad webmaster!)
She was in Measure 14 for shakedown, Measure 21 after that; roughly July. You can see remnants of the lighter Ocean Gray in this photo.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:31 pm 

Tracy - I thank you greatly! And so the fun begins. :cool_1:

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 pm 

I hope you enjoy it! I helped design the kit, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:28 pm 
Another question for Tracy. Im doing the mods on the Indy to bring her to the late war configuration. Looking at the drawing and photos, there appears to be a discrepancy at the stern. When the rear 20mm tubs were removed, according to the drawings, the end of the hull sides were cut back at an angle between the hanger deck and the underside of the flight deck. But in one of the photos, it appears that the port side was left with the original 2 circular cutouts (my description) that originally blended in with the 20mm gun tubs. Do you have any better photos or documents that would confirm this?
And please dont tell me Dragon is preparing another kit with these mods already done. Arrg!

Thanks in advance,
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:26 pm 

Joe12345678 wrote:
And please dont tell me Dragon is preparing another kit with these mods already done. Arrg!

I'll quite happily tell you that as of this time they're not... CVL Princeton is next.

With regards to the fillets you're right, the port and starboard side are different. The starboard side is close to what you see in the CVL -26 1950 Booklet of General plans here, but the port side was different because of a structure in place... best stern view I know of is this similar set up on CVL-29:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/022902a.jpg
I was never able to find many shots of the CVLs from the port rear corner....

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:37 pm 

Tracy,
Is that the LSO platform visible on that photo you just provided the link to?

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 pm 

Yes, the windscreen is down.. you see that from time to time. Apparently early ones were manual whereas later ones were automatic... came across mention of that in text recently. What the gear for that looked like I have no idea....

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm 

Some questions regarding Dragon's 1/350 USS Independence:

1. I'm looking for a close-up photo / photos of the YE homing antenna. In the Dragon kit it's a solid plastic part, most photos give the impression that it's an antenna only comprising of rods but the shape (reflector-type) and the photo below hint at wiring inside.

2. I'm also looking for some pics of the SG search-radar antenna. This is a solid antenna but Dragon's part may be somewhat simplified. To be fair; the thing is tiny in 1/350 so I'm not really sure if I can indeed improve on it, but hey! having ambition isn't bad, is it?
This is a pic of an early example:

And the one on USS Sterrett:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... n40932.jpg

3. What does the kit still miss? It certainly looks that it's a very well executed kit but it looks to me some railings etc. need to be supplied by the modeler? For example, the bow section has railings on the box-art and identifyable on photos. Was that welded pipe or (what it looks like to my eye) chains between the poles?
The box-art also shows railings on top of the beam extensions on the sides. Looking at the pics on NavSource and Sqn/Sign "CVL's in Action" I'm not sure, one way or the other.

4. What color were the canvas windshields on railings? Did they match the Sea Blue in new state? The same question applies to the color of the canvas fire retardants over the ready ammo clips of the 40mm Bofors gun tubs.

5. I'm at a loss what the color of the flight deck stripes were, white or yellow? I personally would think white, looking at different photo's but am not sure.

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Best regards,
Erik.

Last edited by Timmy C on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The history.navy.mil site doesn't allow use of [img] tags for their pictures, so I've removed the tags.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:46 pm 

Well, here's an SG-3

Attachment:
SG-3 Antenna.jpg
SG-3 Antenna.jpg [ 38.7 KiB | Viewed 2215 times ]

Have you looked at WEM's WW2 USN Radar fret?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm 

SG-3 wasn't used during the war. YE antenna drawings exist in the AOTS Intrepid book at least and possibly others.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:39 pm 

Ok, heres an off-the -wall question for you all. Ive been using the original drawings for the measure 32-33-8a camo from, I believe, NavSource for my build. They are labeled Photo # 80-G-170023 and 170024. The copies I have are useful, but does anyone have, or know where to get, copies that are clear enough to read all the designer notes? Im aware that the actual colors other than the 5-U white were not specified, but my curiosity has got the best of me, and Id just like to read all the fine print. Might be some nuggets in there.

Thanks for all the help so far, gents. Im just about done with the camo and ready to start the final assembly. If I can figure out how, Ill post a pic or two in here.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm 

The design sheets were drawn over ships' plans, so the notes you see might be from that. The actual design sheets themselves were fairly large; the ones I've handled could be three feet long or longer (You can see one on the table here with my laptop for scale), but the 80-Gs I've seen were all 8x10 max, so they were considerably shrunk down. If you can wait a few months you might drop Sean Hert a line.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm 

If its any help, here's Cowpens island.

Attachment:
CVL 25 Island.jpg
CVL 25 Island.jpg [ 110 KiB | Viewed 2162 times ]

Attachment:
CVL 25 Flt Deck.jpg
CVL 25 Flt Deck.jpg [ 44.75 KiB | Viewed 2162 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next