The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 50  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 pm 

James, I think everyone can understand your emotional connection with the history of that ship after seeing the pics it and aircraft after 76 years. Have you thought about contacting some of the folks that have posted on Petrels Facebook page. A couple seem to be very knowledgeable about the Lex's Devastators and their aircrew. Just a thought

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm 

Followed up on your idea and look what I found in the comments:

Mark Horan Ummm ... Joe Taylor was VT-5 ... VT-2 T-1, assuming the CO got his bird, was Lt.Cdr. James Henry Brett, USNA28, Duncan F. Hallock, AOM2c, and Albert D. Hensley, ARM1c.

This is his plane when he was on the Lex. Thank you so much.

James

Attachments:
File comment: This was my Dads' plane when he was on the Lex
Dads plane.jpg
Dads plane.jpg [ 228.15 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 am 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/iyk6YQN.png

Trying to post a pic of the 1.1 gun sponson. Hope this link works.

Just bumping this up so that I can give credit to Paul G. Allen and his crew of the research vessel Petrel for allowing me to share this picture that is in the link.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:49 am 

While I have heard some disparaging remarks about the man (anyone famous has detractors) I find his interest in history and willingness to share it (seriously, if you haven't been to his airplane and armor museum before it's well worth the visit) very beneficial to society.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 pm 

Yeah Tracy, no one can go through life without making an enemy or two regardless of the amount of money we make. I said I would give credit for the picture as that was all that they asked of me. Just sorry that it took me a couple of days longer than it should have to do it. But, that is the least I can do and I am just happy because I really thought that I would never get a reply or a pic of that area of the ship in return.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 pm 

lvsquarerigger wrote:
The thing for me is they have quite a few tbds and it's possible my dad flew in one of them. I don't know for sure as the copy of his service record only says torpedo squadron two and later unit six when he was on Sara. Does anyone know of a listing of air crew and planes?
Does anyone in your family have his log book? The usual practice was to log the time in a specific aircraft by bureau number. That number can then be used to correlate to the "T" number on the side of the aircraft. (We always called it the "nose number" since it was on the nose of most navy aircraft at the time I flew them.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm 

Dick J wrote:
lvsquarerigger wrote:
The thing for me is they have quite a few tbds and it's possible my dad flew in one of them. I don't know for sure as the copy of his service record only says torpedo squadron two and later unit six when he was on Sara. Does anyone know of a listing of air crew and planes?
Does anyone in your family have his log book? The usual practice was to log the time in a specific aircraft by bureau number. That number can then be used to correlate to the "T" number on the side of the aircraft. (We always called it the "nose number" since it was on the nose of most navy aircraft at the time I flew them.)

The only thing I have of his is his Purple Heart.I just recently came by a truncated service record, with his serial #, from a cousin who was going through the papers of one of my aunts and found letters that had been sent to her notifying of my dads death, twice, once as presumed dead, and the second confirmed. She also had a listing of his duty stations but they are kind of greek to me as they didn't assign them to ships but to squadrons. The best I can figure is he was assigned to the Saratoga after the battle of Midway and finished there. If you wish I could PM them to you but right now I'm waiting word from the man on the Petrel page who was commenting on the different aircraft and listed the crew of T-1 and my dad was the gunner he listed. So for now it's exciting but still slow.

James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 pm 

Just saw today that the discovery of the Lady Lex' resting place made the cover of the March 16 issue of Stars and Stripes (U.S. Edition). Cover features a photo looking into the barrel of a 5" gun.

DK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:19 am 
Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Jon C Ryckert wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/iyk6YQN.png

Trying to post a pic of the 1.1 gun sponson. Hope this link works.

Just bumping this up so that I can give credit to Paul G. Allen and his crew of the research vessel Petrel for allowing me to share this picture that is in the link.

Thank you for this photo. It is totally with out a doubt to me the Lex was in 2 tone measure 12 just like Yorktown. If you compare the photos of Yorktown found by Ballard and this one and the stern sub photo of Lex you will see the paint on yorktowns upper works is the same as this one. Both ships have been under the water Yorktown deeper for about the same amount of time. So water changes to the paint would bee the same.
There is a photo in Warship Pictorial 33 about the Lex that shows her during the time her 8 inch guns were getting removed and it shows the 2 tone cammo measure 12 on her like Yorktowns. Some of the pictures there also do not but during that time there was sensoring of photos especially released to the public. They would block out the radars and I think some of the pictures were altered because in the pictures of the ship now on the ocean floor you can see the paint job, Navy Blue from waterline to Hangar deck and ocean Gray (1942) which looks like haze gray or weathered sky blue from hangar deck up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 am 

I respectfully disagree, Dennis. Looking at the hi-res version of this photo, I think it's pretty clear she was overall 5N Navy Blue. The photo in Wipers book that you refer to seem to show - to me - the hull being repainted into one overall color, out of the Ms 12 she had been in.

To me, the most interesting thing about the photo you linked is the degaussing cable in the lower part of the photo. It seem to show where it angles up to the flight deck.
Attachment:
iyk6YQN.png
iyk6YQN.png [ 2.04 MiB | Viewed 3564 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am 

I took the photo, cropped and resized it to fit here on this forum, and overexposed it to see what is hiding in the darker areas. It seems the degaussing cables are a lot higher than what I have modeled and it does seem as if one of them does go up.

Attachments:
File comment: The same photo highly overexposed to see the details
iyk6YQNa.jpg
iyk6YQNa.jpg [ 175.48 KiB | Viewed 3549 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 am 

Still trying to figure that pic of the sponson out. Asked Petrel if they had any more pictures of this area and forward of it and they said they would try to check when they got some free time. I think what I am seeing is the starboard sponson because it appears to match the drawing from HNSA plans and those in Steve Wipers book. Do you thik it is possible that that section of cable came loose from the hull from one of the underwater explosions and that is were it landed when the bow section hit the seabed? I've been wrong before though.

Attachments:
starboard 20mm and AA gun platform, profile.jpg
starboard 20mm and AA gun platform, profile.jpg [ 59.83 KiB | Viewed 3536 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:09 pm 

lvsquarerigger wrote:
I took the photo, cropped and resized it to fit here on this forum, and overexposed it to see what is hiding in the darker areas. It seems the degaussing cables are a lot higher than what I have modeled and it does seem as if one of them does go up.

I think we need to be a bit cautious about reading too much into the present positions of the DG cables. Remember that these were wrapped around the hull and fastened to the outside. Yorktown's cables were broken loose by a near-miss bomb, so consider what happened to Lex's cables when the hull ripped into sections. Note that the after 5" gun photos show the cables from that part of the hull draped across the guns themselves. Also note that in the photo labeled "torpedo hole", where part of the side is bent upward, the cable in that area is draped across the bent section and drifts across the blister aft of the hit and then off toward the ocean floor. Looking closely at that shot, you can see where it had been attached along the hull before it was violently ripped off.

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Still trying to figure that pic of the sponson out. Asked Petrel if they had any more pictures of this area and forward of it and they said they would try to check when they got some free time. I think what I am seeing is the starboard sponson because it appears to match the drawing from HNSA plans and those in Steve Wipers book. Do you thik it is possible that that section of cable came loose from the hull from one of the underwater explosions and that is were it landed when the bow section hit the seabed? I've been wrong before though.
I have my suspicions about the shape of the sponson, but unfortunately, the video didn't pan downward to show it. They need to check for shots lower down where it fairs into the hull as well as moving forward.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm 

Here is the photo from Wiper's Lex book. You can see the demarcation between the 5S and 5O. It appears that the hull above line is being repainted into a darker color.
Attachment:
File comment: Lex at Pearl - from Warship Pictorial #33 for discussion purposes only
scan0007.jpg
scan0007.jpg [ 690.74 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]

Here is Yorktown on her way to Midway. You can clearly see the demarcation between the 5N and 5O. Something you don't see in the final photo of Lex underway.
Attachment:
File comment: Yorktown en route to Midway - from Warship Pictorial #44 for discussion purposes only
scan0008.jpg
scan0008.jpg [ 900.9 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]

Just my .02 cents.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:33 pm 

This is a photo of USS Portland and USS Lexington on 12/7/41. The crews had just been informed of the attack on Pearl. Portland is preparing her scout planes for launch. Does anyone know exactly what Lexington is doing in this pic?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:28 am 

I am working on a 1/96 scale plug [ used to make a fiberglass hull ] of CV-2 Lexington.I only make the hull so all the other what , were and when details are the builders head-ache .I am using the builders line drawings and a set of over all plans drawn by Mr Wedd .

I put the prop shaft locations on the hull so they will be there , just needing to be drilled out .To due that you need the angles from the base line [ down ] and from the center line [out ] .Both plans show the base line angle but not the , from the center line angle .Without that you can't position them accurately .Most will assume they ran strait but on CV-2 and CV-3 they fanned out .This is from the damage control manual .

As you can see they go out-word from the starting point .I found this in ' Warship International No 3,1978 " I had it enlarged to 1/96 and used it to lay the lines on the build table .

More to follow . :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 am 

Hey Richard - if this is intended to be the start of progress photos I'd suggest you create a post in the picture post section. We found that having the progress photos in these CASF threads inflated the size to very unwieldy numbers of pages that no one would read through. We start getting the same questions over and over again, which burns out the experts. Not meant as a criticism or a lack of interest at all, I look forward to seeing your "more to come!"

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:08 pm 

What color is the hanger on the Lexington pre-war? working on a 1/700 Trumpeter and back dating it, need to paint the elevator walls for the kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:12 pm 

Another quick color question was Pre-war gray and deck gray semi-gloss or flat color finish?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 pm 

Brian K. wrote:
What color is the hanger on the Lexington pre-war? working on a 1/700 Trumpeter and back dating it, need to paint the elevator walls for the kit.

The hangar bulkheads (walls) would be white. The hangar decks (floors) would be dark gray.

Brian K. wrote:
Another quick color question was Pre-war gray and deck gray semi-gloss or flat color finish?

For 700th scale, you are going to want a flat finish.

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 50  Next