The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm 

DennisJP wrote:
Section of the stern and bow not to far apart and the midships section of the ship 4 miles away from bow and stern,

They posted a correction that the bow & stern are about a quarter of a mile away from the main section of hull.

Also, Sean pointed me to this interesting text about the Wildcat we've seen:

Quote:
VF-2 F4F-3 "F-5"March 8 2018 at 3:17 PM
Brandon S. Wood (Login BuNo02100)
HyperScale Forums

Sorry for this wall of text, but the F4F-3 found this week (along with the other aircraft) is one of my primary areas of research, or at least an off-shoot of it. I mainly work with Marine Aviation records for the early war years with a focus on F4F operations, but the overlap often allows me to indulge. Hopefully some of what I am posting will help others in the future as they try to unravel some of the questions they may have about the aircraft recently discovered. The information I have gathered over the years from the various archives in the D.C. area help supplement the seminal work by John B. Lundstrom covering naval fighter activities for the first six months of WW2.

For fans of early-war US naval aviation, the news of the discovery of the wreck of the U.S.S. Lexington (CV-2) was some of the most exciting news since the discovery of the U.S.S. Yorktown (CV-5) almost 20 years earlier. Not only had the remains of the carrier been located, but no less than 11 of her aircraft were found as well. The crystal clear images that soon started flooding our computer monitors and overwhelming many of us was almost too good to be true. Unlike aircraft aboard the three American carriers that took part in the Battle of Midway a month later, the aircraft aboard Lexington during the Battle of the Coral Sea were not as well documented. Photographic evidence was scarce, consisting primarily of long distance shots or poorly lit and exposed photographs that provided little in the way of detail. Due to this, historians, artists, modelers and enthusiasts were forced to rely on their own judgement and often faulty research when it came to depicting how aircraft from Lexington’s Air Group appeared during the desperate battle.

Part of the confusion as to how the aircraft appeared stems from the change in markings that were occurring at that time. Regulations related to markings are taken as gospel by some as to how an aircraft appeared at a specific moment in time, while others understand that is not always the case. Photos taken shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor and early war photos of aircraft assigned to Lexington clearly demonstrate how her aircraft appeared the first few months prior to Coral Sea. The issue has been further confused by public relations photo shoots that occurred after the battle. One of the more well-known photos is that of Lt(j.g) John Leppla and John Liska, ARM2c from VS-2. This pilot/radio-gunner duo were credited with shooting down 5 enemy aircraft during the Battle of the Coral Sea and the need for photos of heroes to help boost the morale of the public has caused many scale modelers to incorrectly depict their aircraft for over 75 years. Posed with an SBD-3 repainted to look like their assigned aircraft, it carried a full side code (2-S-12), kill markings and the squadron insignia.

So, about that F4F-3. Photos of this aircraft literally took my breath away. Prior to their posting on the internet, I was somewhat sure of how most of the aircraft aboard Lexington were supposed to look. A short movie clip that is often included in documentaries, but wrongly attributed and not associated with the Battle of the Coral Sea shows VB-2’s SBD-3s with black side codes. I really hope we get a glimpse at a VB-2 SBD-3. Photos of VS-2 SBDs have been around for a while and indicate they carried white side codes, same thing for VT-2 and their TBDs. The removal of the squadron number was also a given, and not surprising since these three squadrons had been active participants in the combat zone and that had been one of the first markings associated with the pre-war regulations to go for security reasons. But that F4F-3, I would have never have imagined it was still carrying the markings of VF-3.

The fact that Lt Noel A. M. Gayler had been transferred to VF-2 before the battle has little to no bearing on the fact that the aircraft he was assigned while with VF-3, most likely for a public relations photo opportunity was the one found on the sea floor. It would not have "followed" him over to VF-2. Aviators flew what aircraft was available, not the one assigned to them in the squadron files for organizational purposes. Attempting to state that Gayler flew this aircraft on every mission in which his record was displayed on the fuselage is irresponsible at best. We may never know if he actually ever flew this specific aircraft, but he very well may have. The only thing that we can state, at this time, is that his name and record was applied to this aircraft. I understand the desire to tie a specific aircraft to a specific aviator, I attempt it all the time in my own research and work. But that has demonstrated to me time and time again that very few navy or Marine aviators flew the same or their assigned aircraft on a regular basis in the early part of the war which is my primary subject area. Stating that Gayler flew this specific aircraft on the missions he had recorded on the fuselage of “F-5” clouds the historical record and will result in errors by others at a later date, regardless of their discipline, be it scale modeling or illustrator.

To further confuse the issue, we know that the F4F-3 that was marked as “F-5” and assigned to VF-3 during February 1942 was lost 4 March 1942 as it was being ferried over to VF-42. I know that it has been posted that it is BuNo 4009, which carried the side code “F-5” for a while, but it is not the F4F-3 marked “F-5” sitting on the bottom of the Coral Sea today. Until we know whether photos of the vertical stab and rudder were taken, we may never know the exact Bureau Number of this aircraft, only a range based upon the official navy loss list, aircraft history cards, and characteristics of the aircraft itself. Further adding to the possible confusion is that the induvial aircraft number (5) appears to be applied over then fresh paint covering up its previous number.

So why does an aircraft assigned to VF-2 carry markings from VF-3? Time and necessity. When the war started, VF-2 was still flying the Brewster F2A-3, the only navy squadron still saddled with the type. In order to replace the F2As with F4F-3s as quickly as possible and provide a reserve for the other squadrons, the Marine Corps fighter squadrons were stripped of their F4F-3s and VF-2 was put ashore in Hawaii to train on the new type after they arrived. While they were ashore, VF-3 took their place (and glory) when Lexington was in the South Pacific. When Lexington returned to Pearl Harbor, VF-2 resumed its place in the Lexington Air Group but several events occurred before they made their way to the Coral Sea.

When VF-2 was assigned F4F-3s, they received the F4F-3A model. Equipped with a Pratt and Whitney R-1830-90 engine and single stage supercharger, these aircraft had been ordered by Greece but taken over by the navy when that country was overrun by Nazi Germany in 1941. Lacking the higher altitude performance of the F4F-3s equipped with the R-1830-76/86 with two-stage superchargers, it was considered inferior to the standard F4F-3. When VF-3 returned to Hawaii in April, they turned in their F4F-3s and received new F4F-4s. The F4F-3s previously assigned to VF-3 were then transferred to VMF-212 which was preparing to deploy to the South Pacific and was still flying F2A-3s. Just two/three days after receiving the F4F-3s from VF-3 though, VMF-212 was ordered to swap with VF-2 so the navy squadron would have the better aircraft.

Assigned to VMF-212 for only a few days, there was not enough time to repaint the markings on the aircraft. With the need to get underway, the few days VF-2 had after receiving the F4F-3s from VMF-212 resulted in at least one F4F-3 still wearing its VF-3 markings. Were all of them still carrying these markings, I can not say and proposing it would only be a guess, albeit a good one. For those that are interested, VMF-212 took several F4F-3As to the South Pacific (New Caledonia and Efate to be exact) still wearing VF-2 markings. How’s that for confusion?

I am looking forward, as are many of you to more photos and if the BuNo of “F-5” can be verified, we can then start matching up its actual war record. Good times my friends.
Respectfully,
Brandon S. Wood

(Posted in case the Hyperscale forums get zapped by tappatalk)

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 am 

The Petrel just posted pictures of the main hull body. They show the quad 1.1's aft of the funnel and the splinter shielding is round, not squared. Timmy can you import these here. I can post a link but don't know how to do that. Let's hope the bridge is still intact.

https://www.facebook.com/rvpetrel/

James

Moderator Edit - here are the photos. All photos courtesy of RV Petrel's FB page. Comment in the photos come from the RV Petrel description of the photos.
Attachment:
File comment: These are the two quad guns just aft of the exhaust.
LexWreck01.jpg
LexWreck01.jpg [ 140.9 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the 3rd mount from aft going forward for the quad anti-aircraft guns. It is 1 deck up from the lower two.
LexWreck02.jpg
LexWreck02.jpg [ 113.77 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the quad anti aircraft gun mounted in front of the exhaust stacks.
LexWreck03.jpg
LexWreck03.jpg [ 176.22 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: another gun outboard of the exhaust stacks. 20mm?
LexWreck04.jpg
LexWreck04.jpg [ 186.93 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Some writing on the bulwarks outboard of the exhaust. There was a line of 20mm anti aircraft on this deck.
LexWreck05.jpg
LexWreck05.jpg [ 161.92 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: These were 20mm gun mounts outboard of the exhaust stacks
LexWreck06.jpg
LexWreck06.jpg [ 162.17 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the break in the hull just forward of frame 72. The ship just falls away into the seafloor from here forward.
LexWreck07.jpg
LexWreck07.jpg [ 158.93 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the port aft 5" gun just forward of the break in stern section of hull.
LexWreck08.jpg
LexWreck08.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Port side 20mm anti-aircraft guns. 1 deck below the flight deck. This is where we first came in to the main body of the ship.
LexWreck09.png
LexWreck09.png [ 799.11 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: These are the 5" guns on the starboard aft side of the ship. It has collapsed and the flight deck now sits vertically. You can see the wood decking that was on the flight deck.
LexWreck10.jpg
LexWreck10.jpg [ 125.25 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Torpedo damage around frame 72 on the port side (my comment: note the degassing cable).
LexWreck11.jpg
LexWreck11.jpg [ 142.83 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Last edited by MartinJQuinn on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added photos, corrected quad 4's to 1.1's

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:40 am 

James - I added the photos. These are incredible. As someone noted in the comment on Petrel's FB page, the paint on the shields for the 20mm outboard of the funnel has been stripped away from the heat - you can see the scorch marks on the shielding and the notes from the yard that were under the paint. Amazing.

I'm hoping that further images show the configuration of the island, especially the flag plot, and of the degaussing cable (or whatever is left of it).

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
James - I added the photos. These are incredible. As someone noted in the comment on Petrel's FB page, the paint on the shields for the 20mm outboard of the funnel has been stripped away from the heat - you can see the scorch marks on the shielding and the notes from the yard that were under the paint. Amazing.

I'm hoping that further images show the configuration of the island, especially the flag plot, and of the degaussing cable (or whatever is left of it).

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Previously to the publishing of the photos above (thanks!), 3D-printed round-end splinter shields were available in 1/700 and 1/350 scale for those that preferred them. They were based based on Pearl Harbor Navy Yard plans. Now that we know with certainty that the splinter shields were round-ended, I've integrated the splinter shield products with the existing Lexington island and funnel products in 1/700 scale and 1/350 scale.

The splinter shields also remain available as separate items.

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 Lexington Island 1942.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Lexington Island 1942.jpg [ 36.64 KiB | Viewed 2043 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Lexington CV-2 Funnel 1942.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Lexington CV-2 Funnel 1942.jpg [ 36.33 KiB | Viewed 2043 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:50 pm 

Great pictures. Are they from the so-called stern section or the main hull? Since the three 1.1" mounts just aft of the stack, and the 1.1" tub in front of the stack are shown, as well as one of the boat pocket 20MM platforms (well, 3/4 of it) and the 20MM to starboard of the stack are shown, I assume these photos are taken on the starboard side of the main hull section. (Answered own question by visiting Petrel Site (doh). Yes, most photos from starboard side of main body of hull.)
Looking at the sixth photo from the top of the group just posted, it looks to me like a rainbow of color. From the forward end of the bulwark (right side of pic) to the after side, it appears there is a progression from 5-N, to 5-D, to scorched paint, then to Zinc Chromate primer. Funny that the exterior color coat is gone, but the primer and the (presumably) grease pen markings survived. If the color coat was removed by heat / scorching, would have thought the primer would have been as well. I can't imagine they wouldn't have painted the color coat over the primer after the work was completed, but who knows? Certainly ship's force could have completed it at sea in order to get LEX out at the earliest time.
I'd say the grease pen markings were used by the fabricators to mark the parts as they produced and primed them prior to LEX's arrival so they could be hoisted aboard and assembled in the shortest time.
Wow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 am 

Should there not also be a 5-0 between the 5-D and 5-N?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 am 

Jon -
I was calling out what appeared to be the range of colors. Actually this bulwark was installed at PHNY and would only have been primer and 5-N I would think.
John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 am 

Thanks John, you're right, my mistake. I see that they posted this morning five pictures of the bow section. Wish they would post a pic that shows what the supporting structure under the forward 1.1 mg looks like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm 

Is it just me or is the flight deck side of the splinter shield (picture #2 from above) higher than the outboard side? See where it is folded down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Is it just me or is the flight deck side of the splinter shield (picture #2 from above) higher than the outboard side? See where it is folded down.
It does look like the splinter screen moves up almost to the flightdeck level as the screen ducks under the overhanging side of the ship.
Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Wish they would post a pic that shows what the supporting structure under the forward 1.1 mg looks like.
Me too!!

But one thing I find interesting is in the flightdeck shots. The angled fore-and-aft planking from the removed flywheel catapult is visible, indicating that all we are seeing is the deck to starboard of the centerline. Lex had no cats when lost. So are we seeing a flightdeck stripe just outboard of the fore-and-aft planking?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 am 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Wish they would post a pic that shows what the supporting structure under the forward 1.1 mg looks like.
Me too!!

But one thing I find interesting is in the flightdeck shots. The angled fore-and-aft planking from the removed flywheel catapult is visible, indicating that all we are seeing is the deck to starboard of the centerline. Lex had no cats when lost. So are we seeing a flightdeck stripe just outboard of the fore-and-aft planking?[/quote]

I messaged them on Facebook and asked if they had any pictures of that supporting structure. I got up this morning and there was a reply and a picture of the structure. It is just as the Pearl Harbor early 1941 plans show. They said that they would add it to the bow section pics if it was not already done. If not, if it is ok, I will post it here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:42 am 

Jeff Sharp wrote:

Jeff -
I assume you are referring to the picture of the single 1.1" in the tear drop shaped tub immediately behind the stack.
I would lean towards "no". While it might make sense to limit the depression angle over the flight deck (FD) for the 1.1"s, would expect that (if that's the purpose of the higher side) would carry around to beyond dead astern to protect other areas / gun mounts dead astern of the pictured mount. Same for the flight deck mounted twin 1'1" mounts in the picture above. Aside from that, while it first looks as though the bulwark appears to have a vertical step in the top edge at which point the folded-inward section starts, I don't think that's what the picture shows. What I see when I look closely at the folded section is not a step but rather a continuous piece of of STS 10# with a sharp crease at the aftmost end, but the plate is not cut or severed - it is fully connected at the top of the curved section aft. In other words, all of the vertical bulwark plates are the same height. You can see what I believe is the connecting piece under the light colored port face of the bulwark which is folded inward to starboard. That connecting piece is darker in color. It looks as though the STS has been put into a bending brake and a sharp crease has resulted right at what initially appears to be a step up in the plating. I would say that something with a fairly sharp edge fell against the bulwark, dishing it inward to starboard, but not cutting or otherwise separating the two halves. Looking from the top of the splinter shield and downwards, the top edge looks like a ' Z__' in the area where the inward fold starts at its aft end..
John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 pm 

Hi John,
Yes, that is the one I'm talking about. I'll have to look at it on a bigger screen to see what you are seeing. Thx

**After taking another look at it with a larger screen, I see exactly what you mean now.**
Thanks again.

Last edited by Jeff Sharp on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:03 pm 

just got a message from Jon and he forwarded the pic he got from RVPetrel. He sent it on messenger and when I checked in I also saw replies from Petrel to my earlier post.

Hi James. I just posted the photos of the quad guns that are visible. There is nothing of the bridge left and the deck just falls away just forward of where the stacks were.

So we are still left with nothing definitive but it seems the guesses and lucky pics here and there are what we have to live with. Still, it's more than what we had before so there is some progress even if it's only a little.

James

PS to Jon: Tried to respond on Messenger but couldn't get it to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:31 pm 

RV Petrel gave me the ok to post the picture of the supporting structure for the forward 1.1 mg. My problem now is that I forgot how to resize the image in Photoshop Elements 13 so they can fit in my post. I have tried everything but it is always too big for posting. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jon C Ryckert on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm 

lvsquarerigger wrote:
So we are still left with nothing definitive but it seems the guesses and lucky pics here and there are what we have to live with. Still, it's more than what we had before so there is some progress even if it's only a little.
James

James -
Not sure what you mean by "nothing definitive" or little progress. I have seen several pictures that I think it is reasonable to say do confirm what the PHNY changes were - and that they are as documented in the drawing Steve Wiper published in WP-33. I have made my case about the drawing's authenticity elsewhere above, as has Steve Wiper. Even though we don't have the whole ship in pristine shape, those photo glimpses confirm what the drawing says. I saw no contradictions for that matter where something in a photo was different than the drawing. Therefore I think it is reasonable to infer that the other changes documented in the drawing were done as the drawing documents - even on the parts of the ship we have not yet seen, and may not ever see due to the massive destruction. The Flag Plot changes show up as partially complete in the PHNY photo posted a ways back with the barges in the foreground. In the same photo, the upper forward pair of twin 1.1" mounts show them arranged fore and aft as in the drawing, though not the shape of the forward end of the bulwark. Seeing the bulwarks for the after three 1.1" mounts certainly makes the case pretty strongly the shape (rounded end) is the same on the forward two pairs even without a photo (yet). Why would it be different? The picture of the bulwark on the 1.1" mount just aft of the stack has the same unique teardrop shape as the drawing does. How many bulwarks shaped like that have you seen? Not many I'd bet. Back to the Flag Plot changes, they are documented (including the rangefinder location on top) in the drawing. Finally, most of one of the 20MM swing-up platforms placed in some boat pockets shows in the ninth picture from the top above. And one key detail in the drawing and further clarified on page 70 of WP-33 is that the platforms are sectional, not one continuous unit. Each gun mount and splinter shield swings upward separately - probably due to the weight (each 20MM mount itself weighs ~1600 Lbs). The picture shows the platform is indeed split between each pair of 20MM mounts.
We may have gotten the most info we will ever get, but I think it brings us really close.

One thing I have wondered for some time is where did the idea of the 1.1" "cattle pens" shape come from. I have never seen a photo that clearly confirms the rectangular shape, nor any drawing. I think I know that answer based on a conversation I had by e-mail last week with someone I thought would know for sure. That answer was that there was no documentation upon which that shape was based. It was just an assumption - as many have made including me - that the quickest way to do the job was to use flat plates in a rectangular shape.
Tracy (not the person I e-mailed) has posted correspondence that shows the Yard had at least a week to ten days to work before LEX's arrival and they fabricated as much as possible in advance of the ship's actual arrival to expedite the work when she did arrive. (That's the Navy way.) The grease pen / paint markings which show in the pictures above on some of the newly installed components, are like the part numbers on a plastic model sprue to identify a specific part so that assembly would be as quick as possible. With plenty of lead time, the actual shape could be more like then-current USN standards (don''t the rounded bulwarks just look right?) rather than Civil War-era Gunboat iron plate chic.
Honestly, I think we have really got a lot of the puzzle filled in. Opposing points of view respected, but please make them with data.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 am 

John W. wrote:
One thing I have wondered for some time is where did the idea of the 1.1" "cattle pens" shape come from.
I probably contributed to that. Some years ago, someone on the Steelnavy site (I think it might have been John Sheridan) was claiming that each 1.1 was in it's own circular tub because all other 1.1's he had seen were that way. I think he even claimed that all of the shipyards would have pre-fabbed a number of those circular tubs just in case someone needed one. All I had available to refute that was the low-rez shot toward the bow as she was sinking. The only part of the bulwark actually visible in that shot was the inboard side of the upper bulwark, and it was straight not a circular tub. However, that perspective changed with the release of the high-rez version - after it had been pointed out to me. So based on the newly available evidence, I came around. As I recall, that ancient exchange predated the release of either of Steve's Lexington books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am 

Dick -
Thanks. I'm not diming anyone out. Based on the (incomplete) info at the time it seemed reasonable to me too. John did master and produce the 1/350 resin LEX, that's why I e-mailed him to ask what supported that particular choice. It looks as if he came around (heh, heh) to your point of view when he mastered the model.
At my request Steve Larsen produced the curved bulwarks as noted above (including the single teardrop shaped one) so the parts are available to change any model depending on it's state of build and the courage of the modeler to cut into an existing model if change is decided. I stopped my LEX build when the Flag Plot discussion began and so I am in good shape to move ahead with Steve's 3D printed parts. ( I am not affiliated with Steve in any way - just an end user of his craft.)
John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 am 

Sheridan hasn't been active in message boards since maybe 2003-2004, I think. I remember my first trip to NARA II in College park in 2005 and Don Montgomery was there by chance looking for the negative of that same photo to see if it was any "larger" than the print (i.e. was the print cropped at all?) for Steve. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next