The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Thanks! I am taking many looks on your great model as reference!

In the second picture - are you sure that it is splinter mats on the railing on the 1.1? On 0.50 platform for sure, but the 1.1 looks solid for me..

Meng also got many things wrong, fore 5inch platforms were way off when compared... i rebuilt those from plasticard. And would probably rebuild them all...

Owner of PetrOs Modellbau
Ebay
Shop
Shapeways

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 am 

Sorry, that is what I meant indeed. The railings with splinter matting is only on the .50 platform, the 1.1" has splinter shields.

Thanks for the compliment! Don't use my model too much for reference though, as there are still plenty of things incorrect. :)
The Warship Pictorial book only became available when construction was about finished, hence I only figured out some stuff when it was too late to change things on the model. Like for example the height of those aft 1.1" and .50 platforms (they both sit too low), or also the 20mm gallery on the lower starboard side of the funnel which sits too high. But you won't have the latter on your model, as it was only installed when the 8" guns were removed.

When you redo the 5inch platform splinter shields, note that in between each gun the splinter shield goes a little higher, in a triangular shape, to meet the shields perpendicular to them in between the guns. Another detail Trumpeter and I missed... :)

Cheers,

Marijn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Thanks, great!

I try to look at both WP33, WP12, your build, and all photos I could find, keeping in mind the date of photo in relation to mods.
How did you do the degaussing cables? Eduard PE looks nice, but is a bit off in form at the bow..

Owner of PetrOs Modellbau
Ebay
Shop
Shapeways

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:05 am 

I also bought the Eduard set. They incorporate the double and quadruple character of the degaussing cables, but to my eye they look too flat. The PE is also pretty thick, and I felt it might be hard to sit really tight against the hull, and it might end up looking too heavy. I also wanted to incorporate the sagging sections visible on photo's at Coral Sea, so I had to use something else anyway.

Ideally, I would have used styrene rod. But there is none available that is thin enough, and I failed to stretch sprue with sufficiently consistent diameter for such lengths.
So instead, I used nylon fishing wire, I believe 0,14mm diameter. I glued it with Tamiya thin cement (green cap). This doesn't dissolve the nylon, but it did dissolve the kit plastic enough to stick the nylon wire to the hull. The bond is not super strong, but as long as you don't handle to model on it too much it suffices.
Below each boat stowage (hull pockets, and sides of funnel and bridge), there are rows of metal cleats protecting the degaussing cables. I added these with very thin plastic strip.

Where did you spot how the cables run at the bows? I have never found that information and just took my best guess... I believe I got the rest of them pretty correct though.

Cheers,

Marijn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42