The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:23 am 

Trying to find out what the piece of deck equipment is called carrying the two red tanks https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn65-68/113.htm

Can anyone enlighten me?

In the Shipyard:
USS Iwo Jima
USS Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am 

Not much info available for the early CV Equipment, but I think this is an early Twin Agent Unit foam firefighting tractor.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm 

Admhawk wrote:
Not much info available for the early CV Equipment, but I think this is an early Twin Agent Unit foam firefighting tractor.

Thanks Darren. That has helped in finding further information.

The vehicle is called a Twin Ball Fire Fighting Unit (TBFFU). Found a report (minus usable pictures) detailing how this was evaluated at Yankee Station in 1967 aboard CVA-62 (as well as a couple of other carriers). Looks like there is a hose reel behind the PKP tank.

I am researching for a CVAN-65 (1968) build in the future. Aiming to get deck equipment as accurate as possible., so looks like the TBFFU is part of that.

In the Shipyard:
USS Iwo Jima
USS Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:03 am 

I still have the CVN 65 50 YRS available . now totalled to 1250 images Now included are 2 DVD is one ...
how much longer I don't know as I am dealing with cancer health issues and may shut everything down next year.
$28.00 usd

be quick .
email me at stillmo@shaw.ca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:20 pm 

Hope you overcome your cancer Ray. Post more of BigE this coming weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:15 pm 
Hi All
Returning to this great hobby after may years absent.
I decided to go all in and get underway (pardon the pun) with the Tamiya Enterprise.
After reading many inspirational build logs (such as DWD) I'd like to attempt to put a hanger deck into my ship.
My question is, could anyone recommend the thickness of styrene need for the deck and bulkheads. I'm thinking I'd need a reasonable thickness for the deck to prevent sagging.
Appreciate any advice

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:44 pm 

glue some cross braces to support the hanger floor if the model is 1/350 scale then use .040"(1mm) sheet styrene for the hanger floor & bulkheads. don't glue the hanger floor to the cross braces but to the inside of the hull as gluing to the cross braces might cause the floor to cup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 am 

KG1968 wrote:
Hi All
Returning to this great hobby after may years absent.
I decided to go all in and get underway (pardon the pun) with the Tamiya Enterprise.
After reading many inspirational build logs (such as DWD) I'd like to attempt to put a hanger deck into my ship.
My question is, could anyone recommend the thickness of styrene need for the deck and bulkheads. I'm thinking I'd need a reasonable thickness for the deck to prevent sagging.
Appreciate any advice

Ken

Chances are good it will still bend over time. Just when you do make some bracing underneath it, make sure you brace it 2 directions, diamond pattern of some sort. I had smaller flat parts, with some "one way" plastic on it, and it did bend (did not fix it to my ship in the next few days) but i believe, if you brace it somehow, and not wait too long to fix it to your ship, it might stay flat forever.

Last edited by silvershadow on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 am 

that is why I said not to glue the deck to the braces but to the hull sides itself as I think the glue causes the sheet to bend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm 

DavidP wrote:
that is why I said not to glue the deck to the braces but to the hull sides itself as I think the glue causes the sheet to bend.

Image Image Image Image Image Be careful putting the deck in. I screw up the first time. Had to start a new deck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:52 am 

Good day you good people out there. Does anyone have a record on how many tractors / forklifts and so on are usually on a modern carrier?
I mean, yes we can buy a lot of these items.. and make the deck & hangar fully packed, but I always keep wondering, is this too much or was there more in real life?
Would be great if there is a list of vehicles one can have as a guide when building a carrier like this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36