The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:30 pm 

Thanks for the info Timmy. I did not know that. Actually had not heard of the company till I saw kits listed on HLJ's site... Learn something new everyday... But, now I wonder if the Microace kit is the same as the Kangnam kit I have...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 pm 

Good news The dragon kit is coming out soon. Got one on the way from freetime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:28 pm 

Good day
can some one confirm that enterprise at point in time had a studio mock up shuttle craft on her deck. I seem to remember a photo of this.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:59 am 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Good news The dragon kit is coming out soon. Got one on the way from freetime

Mine has been on pre-order with Freetime since Sept 2015. Unless something has finally broken loose on the Dragon front, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Dragon's 1/700 Enterprise has been coming next month for a couple of years now.

We can hope though...............

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 am 

Mark,
I sure you are right. Just for those who want to add a cool factor to your enterprise. Federation Models (Google Website) sells Star Trek parts and Kits (plastic and aftermarket items). They have the shuttle craft in 1/1000 and 1/650, 1/500 scales different version from the 60's to movies. As I said I remember see a mock-up on the deck to celebrate the shows anniversary. An with this year being the 50th it might make your build very individualized and unique.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:02 pm 

I have two main questions if you wouldn't mind taking the time.

1. Deck tie-downs, are they plumbed into a water system? It's a question that has just cropped up elsewhere, to me they were just anchor points for chaining aircraft and equipment down but to another chap they were sprinklers for washing the deck down. Are there sprinkler heads under the tie-downs?

2. Deck edge hose reels. I thought that there were different hoses for different purposes including washing down the flightdeck. In my mind there are three types colour coded according to use, fueling, fire-fighting and deck washing. Is this the case and how are they colored?

Thanks in advance for any help folks,
Jock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:47 am 

Hey Jockster,

I have a link for a site to visit that should help answer some of your questions. Try this one https://arffports.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/aircraftcarrier/. I had another pdf file in regards, but it's too large to download here. If you would like it, let me know and I can email it to your or something. If you do a google search for "Aircraft Carrier Flight and Hangar Deck Fire Protection" you should be able to find a whole bunch more stuff and probably the pdf itself.

If you read through the article you will find photos that show the AFFF (Aqueous Film-Forming Foam) deck system does in fact have ports in the tie downs. I don't believe every tie down has them, but it looks like a good majority do. Also, there are deck-edge nozzles as well that deliver the AFFF from the sides of the deck. As far as the hoses, there are different hoses and those are color coordinated around the ship. The bigger hose reel stations you see around the catwalks are for fuel which are purple color coded. Some are used to fuel the aircraft and I believe some others are used for "off loading" fuel when an aircraft returns when they do not want fuel to remain in its tanks, especially when stowed below deck. The green color is used for the AFFF, Red is used for CO2 and PKP (Purple-K-Powder) which are also used for firefighting, and black is for Steam, which they use in the event of a steam catapult fire. If you study aircraft carrier deck photos you will start seeing the different colors painted on the deck edge rails and will see them labeled.....provided the pictures are close up and clear.

Hopefully that helps to answer some of your questions.

Currently building:
Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 USS Enterprise 2001
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=120496

http://modelshipgallery.com/gallery/use ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:57 pm 
Hello Doug, my apologies for the delay in replying, I actually replied last night but it seems to have gone walkabout!

What an excellent reply, I've been researching for my big E for years and never found your link. I've also never seen that Forrestal footage before either, Tragic!

I'll pass this information on to some shipmodelers on this side of the pond and also down under. On behalf of myself and them, thank you.

I have one more question, does anyone know what happened to the Carrier Builders Net? There was an awesome build of the Tamiya Enterprise that I saw somewhere, I thought it was here but after 31 pages I guess not so it must have been on there. I'm building my Enterprise to a similar level of detail and could use the inspiration.

Thanks and regards,
Kev/Jockster

Just found the nospam question, that explains what happened to last nights reply. I don't remember doing this when I asked my original question, when did this start?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm 
I think that I just answered my own question above, I wasn't logged in! :cool_2: :doh_1:

And thank you DaveP, I've been trying to get on CBN for a week with no joy, wonder why it works now. No matter, just glad that I can. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:50 pm 

Nope, CBN still not working, I get the main page but when I tap on any of the site buttons I'm getting the same 'cannot connect' message that I was getting before, this is why I was wondering if the site had shut down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:45 am 
I just got a message canceling my order of the 1/700 Enterprise from Hobby Search.

Thank you for shopping at HOBBY SEARCH.

The cancellation of the following items has been completed.

[Cancel]
Order No. : 14-****-***
Item name : U.S. Navy Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Enterprise CVN-65 (1969) (Plastic model)
Quantity : 1
Store code : 10267479

We are very sorry to inform you of this news.
The manufacturer had unfortunately cancelled the production of
the above mentioned products from your order.

Had it on pre-order for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 pm 

Woooooow! That sucks! To have many people waiting and adding their hard earned money for this. Glad I can't build in 1/700 any more. Hope you got your money back!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:20 pm 

That's such a shame, I don't do much in the way of 1/700 but I knew many that wanted one. All that work that Rob put into the CAD drawings too! I wonder why they canceled, it would have been a good seller!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 pm 

I asked Dragon about it on Twitter, and they say it's still on pre-order and to keep checking the Cyber-Hobby.com and/or Dragon USA sites. Certainly Cyber-Hobby's page for it indicates it was added not too long ago on July 7, 2016, along with a price of $388 HKD, or $50 USD. So there's some hope yet, and maybe Hobby Search's just jumping the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:15 am 

Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:43 pm 

Hey gang, perhaps one of you can share some insight into this....

In looking at circa 1960's photos of various carriers (Enterprise included) the recovery area ("landing strip") section of the flight deck appears to be a darker shade than the rest of the flight deck. The elevators also look like they might be a tad darker as well.

So, I have two questions

1. (the more important one for my current build) When did Enterprise cease the "two-tone" flight deck color scheme? It's definitely there for the 1967 deployment and I think it's there for the 1969 deployment as well but most of the photos are post fire for 1969 and the damage obscures the detail. I'm working the 1969 WESTPAC deployment for Enterprise and want to try and make it as accurate as I can.

2. Why does the flight deck have this appearance? Did the recovery area get an extra thick coating of non-skid? Did they use a different material?

Thanks in advance!!

Bob Delaney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:07 pm 

I think I can help you with why the elevators look to have a different shade to them...

CVN-65's elevator top surface was not solid. They did not have the non-skid surface. From the time she was commissioned till the mid to late 90's, the elevators were just the main structure of the elevator, with the top surface being the cross beams with metal grating. I'd say the difference in color was due to the metal taking the paint different from the non-skid surface of the flight deck... Here are some pics form navsource.org to see the elevators... You can see more at navsource.org...

Hope this helps

Thomas

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/0265csa.jpg

1976-77
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/0265bw.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm 

If you go earlier in this thread I outline the changes to the elevators. As built the elevators had an open grid surface the reduce the chance the elevators would be ripped off the ship in a nuclear attack. Enterprise was the only carrier to have this configuration. From December 1995 to December 1997, my time onboard, the gratings had non-skid applied. Due to metal fatigue the grating was replaced by plate. The first two elevators were done in a shipyard period in 1997 and the other two done in 1999.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:53 pm 

I wondered about the grids on the elevators and whether or not refraction played into it.

Here's a picture of Enterprise from the early 60's that clearly shows the darker shade in the recovery area but at the angle the photo was taken at not so much on the elevators.

That's an interesting photo the gentleman submitted that showed the Phantom from VF-102. The Kinzey book lists VF-102 deployed aboard Enterprise for her first two deployments (62 and 63) when she was on the east coast. I wonder if this shot was of that particular aircraft on a cross-deck exercise with another carrier? I've seen lots of shots of Enterprise in her pre 90's days with what looks to be grids on the elevators. In fact, I was just looking at the photos I took in October '97 and the shots I have from the crow's nest clearly show grids on elevator 1 and not on elevators 3 and 4 (I didn't get a pic of elevator 2, apparently). Anyway, maybe the darkening is ultimately related to the grids.

The second picture is from a poster that shows the same phenomena that I see (darkening down the recovery area and on the areas) so at least someone else out there sees the same thing I see and I'm not crazy - my mother had me tested :big_grin: It's always good to have a sanity check!!.

Bob

Attachments:
026593a.jpg
026593a.jpg [ 195.73 KiB | Viewed 7608 times ]
uss-enterprise-cvan-65-ag-06p.jpg
uss-enterprise-cvan-65-ag-06p.jpg [ 107.65 KiB | Viewed 7608 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 pm 

Bob, I think what you are seeing is fresh paint. Paint and Non skid fade very quickly in the ocean environment and the jets landing blacken the white and yellow deck markings.

Along with the fading, rust seeps up and turns the deck a tan color. There are many photos that show a patchwork deck because of this.

In an effort to keep the landing strip markings visible, that section would be painted more frequently than the rest of the deck.

In more recent times, painting of the flight deck nonskid is against regs due to degradation of the effectiveness, but Captains still do it sometimes to make the the ship look cleaner.

An example of a patchwork flight deck.
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... 682046.jpg

You can see the landing strip here is darker, however, if you look along the edges of the rest of the deck, you can see where it is also dark.
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images ... clough.jpg

Here is a huge contrast, however, notice how the dark area spreads out from the landing strip where is isn't faded as much.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ea_(CVA-43)_refueling_USS_Porterfield_(DD-682)_1960.jpg
And here 3 years later, a close up showing a much fresher coating that isn't faded.
http://www.usscoralsea.net/images/RA-3B ... ea_(CVA-43)_1963.jpeg

HTH's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 40  Next