The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:30 pm 
Doughnuts22 wrote:
Hi All, I am trying to track down the markings for all the CVW 11 ....

Doughnuts, what did you end up doing with the decals? I am in the exact same situation.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:02 pm 

Does anyone know about whatever happened to the often promised but never delivered Dragon 1/700 USS Enterprise (CVAN 65)?

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 pm 

No Luck Bill.

I had done some simple searching and the original plan was for a Cyber-Hobby release 2 years ago.
The usual folks, Freetime, ScaleHobbyist, HL, have no pre-order anymore.
The SK, HK and Japan stores I frequent do not have it listed for pre-order either now.

However, Dragon USA does show it, but check that Date!

1/700 U.S.S. Enterprise CVN-65 1969
Your Price: $59.95
Pre-Order
Est Arrival: April 2017
Item Code: CHC-7130

modelshipdepot:
Cyber-Hobby Ships 1/700 USS Enterprise CVN65 Aircraft Carrier Kit
"COMING SOON"
CHC-7130 $57.59 $71.99

Internet hobbies :
Cyber-Hobby Ships 1/700 USS Enterprise CVN65 Aircraft Carrier Kit
$57.59 $71.99 SKU: CHC-7130

BUT the Cyber-Hobby web site does not show it at all.

Christmas is coming. Maybe they will try to release it for a legit pre-order then.

Enjoy the fact that you have it bracketed with your Revell 1/720 and Academy 1/600.

Jim.

Tim, do you have any news on the kit?

Thanks.

Last edited by Nino on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:35 pm 

Regarding the Academy 1/600 "New Tool" USS Enterprise CVN-65...

As far as I can tell the so-called Academy "New Tool" 1/600 Enterprise CVN-65 is the same basic mold as Kangnam's except the decal sheet is rearranged, the Ships stand is different and the last Sprue has been re-engineered and there is no Sea King Helo or E2 Hawkeye on the Academy sprue.

Kangnam Sprue C: Image

Academy Sprue C: Image

The Academy aircraft look exactly like the Kangnam mold but fortunately there is NO FLASH! Maybe the mold has been been cleaned up since the 1990's when it was supposedly either a Kangnam or Arii/MicroAce mold.

Scalemates is not clear on the History/Comparison of the Arii, Kangnam, and Academy releases.

Additional: The Kangnam kit hull looks the same as the Academy. The hull has the same separate Bow piece to add. There are indentations for 4 Props to be mounted on Kangnam as well as Academy. The mold marks/imperfections are exactly the same too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm 

Anyone have a diagram or know which flight deck hose reels are for fueling, fire fighting etc. I've try searching all over but can't find anything that tells me which ones are which and there location? And if the Tamiya 1/350 model has the correct # of reels?

Post subject: USS Enterprise
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 am 

Hello to every one its been a long time. I have been given The USS Enterprise aircraft carrier for my 70th and I am looking forward to the build but (there always is a but!!) i am unsure how to proceed. On page 6 of the instructions step 2 it say says to use part b2 if you want to have the aircraft elevators in the own position later in the build. My problem is that part b9 appears on the plan to have the center bit cut out but it is quite a thick bit of plastic so can anyone tell me do I cut out the center piece or not. The same would apply for bits b 11/13.
Any help would be more than appreciated.
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:40 am 

Dai H,

Your question is on the Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 kit. (Based on the parts ID.)

Those instructions are giving you 2 options for the Hanger doors, Closed: Use B9-B11-B13 or Open: Use B8-B10-B12, based on if the Elevator is Up or Down.

(You can vary the Hanger doors. Some elevators up maybe one down. It's your model.)

An email is on the way to you with additional details. Hope it helps.
I included a few links in the email to show how other modelers handled the Open/Closed Hanger doors.

Nino

P.S. Forgot to mention, you don't need to use these parts if you are making a Hanger deck. The B8 part will ad some depth to the hanger wall though. I mentioned in the email that if you use B8 you would need to cut away some plastic on B8,10,12 to see all the way inside the hanger.

Example of no B9 or B8 showing open hanger: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/atta ... jpg.89138/
Example of B8 part: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... uen/28.jpg
(Another example of B8 is at the bottom of this post.)
Example of hanger door closed like part B9:

Example of B9:

Attachments:
example of hanger door closed.jpg
example of hanger door closed.jpg [ 26.48 KiB | Viewed 13498 times ]
part b8 showing pat of hanger deck.jpg
part b8 showing pat of hanger deck.jpg [ 49.46 KiB | Viewed 13498 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm 

Hey all,

I have Rays excellent CD for the Enterprise final cruise, but what I can't determine is the catwalks. Tamiya on the 1/350 kit have them all solid with solid 'guardrails' all the way around the ship. From looking at Rays CD, I can see that on the port side the large majority have proper guardrails rather than the solid looking wall that Tamiya represent. But what I want to know is if I should replace the catwalk in total, or if this was solid around the refueling reels and a pierced planking style around the rest of the ship. Can any one assist? I hope I have explained it well enough that it makes some sense. I am in two minds if I just lave the plastic catwalk and add a guard rail or replace the whole thing.

I appreciate any assistance/information anyone can provide me.

Regards

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:01 pm 

I served aboard for 24 months for the 1996 cruise and the yard period afterward in 1997. Most of the catwalks were perforated with small holes. Some sections near the refueling stations were perforated and some solid. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and difference may be a function of repair or worn out plating. I frankly would not replace the decking, a lot of effort for out of scale holes. In scale effect the catwalks look solid. The elevators are a different matter and the open grid was noticeable at distance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the information Charles, it comes as a reinforcement to my decision not to replace them, I just don’t have enough of the right kind of catwalk during this deployment, but I have removed all of the side walls to replace with thinner plastic sheet and rails as required. This also allows me to do a little work on the hose reels and maybe some small amount of pipe work, but mostly it allows me to modify the catwalks, as it seems from what I can see, that the kit is simpler than those used in her last cruise.
Anyway thanks again for the advice. I’ll post photos of my work shortly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:16 pm 

I don't know if this is the right section, but does anyone know if the Nichimo 1/500 Enterprise can reasonaby pass for 1964? I like the diversity of the airwngs that year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:20 pm 

Hi Cynthia,

It looks like it has the correct Island so if it is not accurate for that time period, it could probably be made to be accurate for that time period with a minimal amount of work. Details like the mast and sponsons. I also like that period for the various flavors of aircraft in the air wing.

Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:34 am 

Can anyone tell me how wide the boot stripe is? Seems odd but I’m having the hardest time finding a reference. Dry dock pics have been at odd angles so not sure scaling it works well. Tried searching here and across the forum with no luck. Thanks in advance for the help. Chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 am 

The Nimitz and enterprise hulls are almost the same. You can use the Nimitz as a reference.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-vie ... ?zoom=true

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:09 am 

Admhawk wrote:
The Nimitz and enterprise hulls are almost the same. You can use the Nimitz as a reference.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-vie ... ?zoom=true

Excellent, thank you!
Dang that’s a big stripe. 11mm in 350 scale. Way bigger than the 4mm on the Tamiya kit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:18 am 

Something I've noticed is that boot stripes change over time. Back in the 60's they were thinner. Not sure if the navy's standard has changed, or if it's solely due to increasing tonnage after each refit/upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 am 

KG1968 wrote:
Hi All
Returning to this great hobby after may years absent.
I decided to go all in and get underway (pardon the pun) with the Tamiya Enterprise.
After reading many inspirational build logs (such as DWD) I'd like to attempt to put a hanger deck into my ship.
My question is, could anyone recommend the thickness of styrene need for the deck and bulkheads. I'm thinking I'd need a reasonable thickness for the deck to prevent sagging.
Appreciate any advice

Ken

I used 0.080” for my deck and 0.030” for the bulkheads. I picked up Tom Pope’s plans for the hangar bay and they were well worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:45 am 

Does anyone have a good overhead picture of the flight deck at night? I am setting up my plan for lighting my carrier and am finding limited night shots. Would like to have some good references before I start drilling holes and figuring out the lighting overall. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:13 pm 

It's not Enterprise, but here is the lighting diagram for CVN-71. I imagine Enterprise is at least somewhat similar.

Attachments:
largest-warship-theodore-roosevelt.jpg
largest-warship-theodore-roosevelt.jpg [ 326.7 KiB | Viewed 5079 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm 

gjholmes77 I would agree. This should work well for my needs. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next