The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Jon wrote:
...Also, what work needs to be done to the Tamiya 1/350 scale anchors to bring it up to satisfaction? Any body have some WIP pics?

Hi Jon, Here's a set of anchors sized for modern aircraft carriers available in 1/350. When assembled, the shank can swivel freely. These may be helpful to you.

Link: http://shpws.me/OR67

:thumbs_up_1: Oh man, this is great! Got to put my order in for 4 sets. BigE,America, Kitty Hawk and maybe Indy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am 

I started this back in page 7 of this thread and had kept updating it. Moving it forward and will update this here now:

Listed all of Enterprises' overhauls and then list the modifications that are noticeable from EXTERIOR ONLY. Any updates or corrections are much appreciated and will be updated here. This is meant as a helpful guide, not an absolute record from official US Navy records.

Launched: September 24, 1960
Commissioned: November 25, 1961
Shakedown: February 1962

First Overhaul/refit (November 1964 to June 22, 1965)
1) Mast was raised ten (10) feet
2) Second yardarm was installed on the mast

Second Overhaul/refit (June 1966 to September 1966)
1) The two Mark 25 launchers for Sea Sparrows were added. They were placed where the Terrier launchers were intended.
2) Waist catapult bridle catcher removed.

The Infamous Fire (January 14, 1969) with damage repaired by March 1969

Third Overhaul/refit (August 1969 to January 1971)
- NO External Modifications?

Redesignated CVN-65 on June 30, 1975

Forth Overhaul/refit (January 15, 1979 to March 1982) Complex Overhaul - THE BIG ONE Tamiya's 1/350 model is for the end of this overhaul.
1) Beehive ECM equipment housing was removed.
2) Billboard style SPS-32 and SPS-33 radars were removed from the island
3) Starboard bow sponson added.
4) Port bow sponson added.
5) The port Mark 24 launchers that were added in the second overhaul was replaced by a Mark 29.
6) The starboard Mark 24 was replaced by a Mark 29 launcher but moved forward to a newly created sponson added near the bow. The old location of the Mark 24 remained empty.
7) Radar guidance detectors for the Mark 29s were added to the island at the forward starboard side and the aft port side. To protect these radars from exhaust from the flight deck, conical shields were placed around the three that hung over the flight deck. Shields also provide protection from the radiation for the flight deck crew. The forth was on the starboard side only and did not have the shield.
8 ) The aft port sponson was extended further aft and wrapped slightly around to the fantail.
9) Three (3) Mark 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapon Systems were added. One was added to the forward port sponson mentioned in number 4 above. A second was added to the starboard side of the island. The third was added to the extended aft port sponson mentioned in number 8 above.
10) Automatic landing control radar, AN/SPN-41 was added on the aft starboard side of the flight deck? Also see next entry. (need to confirm)
11) Automatic landing control radar, AN/SPN-41 was added to the fantail, at the flight path centerline? Also see above entry. (need to confirm)
12) Box like life rafts replaced with new raft holders and canister style life rafts? (need to confirm)
13) AN/SPS-48 air search radar was added just forward of the mast on top of the island.
14) AN/SPS-49 radar was added just aft of the mast on top of the island.
15) SPN-43 radar was attached to the main mast on the aft side, just above the AN/SPS-49.
16) SPS-55 replaced the SPS-10/58 (aka AN/SPS-67 - digital version of the SPS-10/58)
17) AN/SPS-12 was removed
18) Number 65 on the port and starboard side of the island was moved up and outward to where the billboard radar had previously been located. The starboard one was moved aft a bit as well.
19) The "Big E" lettering was added on the aft billboard on the island. (but also noted as being added in the Spring of 1987??)
20) Framework with ladder was added off the top of the pri-fly deck. It is located at the forward port side of the island.
21) Flight deck operations camera platform and enclosure added.
22) A hinge-down style stern dock installed.

September 1985
1) Text "USS Enterprise CVN-65" painted on the front of the island was painted there for the "Peace in the Pacific" ceremony on September 2, 1985 for the 40th anniversary of the end of WWII. (thank you Ned Wilson)

Dry-dock at Hunters Point, San Francisco (September 1986 till Spring 1987)
1) CIWS mounts were upgraded and internal ammo supply to an external ammo storage.
2) The forward port CIWS sponson was doubled in size by length. The other 2 mounts had large cradle structures added.
3) Chaff launchers were added at various points around the ship, with the platforms to support them.
4) The Large "BIG E" on the back of the island was first painted on in the spring of 1987 right after being towed back to Alameda from the dry-docking but before work-ups began.

Operation "Praying Mantis" (April to July 1988)
1) The "Hormuz Highway patrol" graphic over Elevator 3 was painted on as were the sinking ship markings on the island. (thank you Ned Wilson)

Winter of 1988/1989
1) camera enclosure was updated. (thank you Ned Wilson)

World Cruise (September 1989 to March 1990)
1) world criuse painting over elevator #1.
2) Bert Kinsey photographed the ship for his detail and scale book in the summer of 1990. (thank you Ned Wilson)

Fifth Overhaul/refit (March 1990 to September 23, 1994) the Refueling and Complex Overhaul started in October 12, 1990. Additional updates through 1995.
1) Port aft CIWS platform enlarged to provide maintenance access out of the weather for the CIWS.
2) Structure outboard to the island on the starboard side was enlarged to provide maintenance access out of the weather for the CIWS.
3) New approach radar replaced the previous aft flight deck mounted approach radar. Old one was a cube on a frame stand, new one is ball shaped on a solid enclosure .
4) Starboard side of island, near the top, SLQ-32 countermeasure radar replaced a yet to be identified previous radar (AN/ULQ-6?). Same item was replaced on the Port side forward of the Fresnel Landing system.
5) Weather SATCOM dome added to port side, just off catapalt four.
6) Between new weather SATCOM dome mentioned in number 5 above and catwalk, the INMARSAT antenna was added.
7) Aft of island, just below the "Big E", two minor structures added to mount two SPN-46. These are Aircraft Approach Radars. This structure was replaced in 1995 with a much sturdier and easier to access structure in roughly the same spot.
8 ) Boat dollies (original) and older style boats were removed and not replaced.

Sixth Overhaul/refit (1995)
1) Challenge Athena SATCOM dome and platform added just forward and outboard of the LSO platform. Dome was a ball shape on a short pipe. Platform was mounted just forward of the LSO platform, but the angle of the deck put the SATCOM dome beside the LOS platform. It was rarely photographed as it was only on the ship from 1995 till 1997 before being moved aft of the LSO platform. Was added to many warships after Desert Storm as it was found that large amounts of digital imagery had to be transmitted to commanders at sea. Initially tested as Athena I in 1992 with the USS George Washington. Athena II, provides a T-1 transmit/receive link. That was first tested in 1994 on the USS George Washington.
2) White SHF (or X Band) SATCOM domes added forward and aft of the island at the billboard location. They were set up in a stadium style seating arrangement, front to back with the one closest to the island being tallest. These provide rain resilience and remote location coverage to provide data/internet link for the ship.
3) Aft island platforms that housed the two SPN-46 Aircraft Approach Radars were replaced with a much sturdier easier access structure. This structure was higher than the previous one and thus resulted in the "Big E" marking being moved to the port and made smaller.

Seventh Overhaul/refit (April 1996 to June 1996)
1) Old hinge-down style stern dock installed in 1982 was removed.
2) New Fantail fixed port call boarding platform. Only part of this platform was built to what is seen today. It was later strengthened and enlarged in mid 1997.
3) New boat dollies added and four new 50 foot utility boats and three 40 foot personnel boats.
4) New storage rack for gasoline installed along with a jettisonable locker on sponson number 10, which is the aft most sponson on the port side.
5) For you hanger detailers, a gymnasium was added at to hanger bay one in the forward port side.
6) Challenge Athena SATCOM dome was changed to a large pill shaped dome.

Eighth Overhaul/refit (Spring 1997 to Summer 1997)
1) Challenge Athena SATCOM dome, that large dome just aft of the LSO platform. Dome was before on the other side of the LSO platform.
2) Stern fixed boarding platform made symmetrical and strengthened. A second ladder and small platform were also added.
3) Motor Whale Boat and davit removed from Sponson 4 (portside amidships) and replaced by a slewing arm davit and two rigid hull inflatable boats
4) Aircraft Elevators 3 and 4 (starboard and port aft) have the open grid deck (unique to ENTERPRISE) removed and replaced with plate metal due to fatigue.

Ninth Overhaul/refit (1999 to 2000)
1) Remaining aircraft Elevators 1 and 2 (Starboard side) have the open grid deck removed and replaced with plate metal
2) Grey SHF SAT Comm domes added to Island (fore and aft).
3) Landing platform radar, a sat com like dome added to the starboard side of the platform at the fantail.

Tenth Overhaul/refit (January 7, 2002 to May 7, 2003) Extended Drydock Selected Restricted Availability
1) Unconfirmed (could be the 2004/2005 refit) - The pair of sat domes on the front and aft of the island changed styles from pill shaped to ball on stick shaped.

Eleventh Overhaul/refit (September 3, 2004 to October 13, 2005) Extended Selected Restricted Availability
1) RAM launcher replaced the CIWS on the port forward sponson.
2) RAM launcher added to an aft starboard side sponson with an extension platform.
3) The four island sat com domes replaced (two forward, two aft). Same location, different look, a ball on a thick pole versus the older pill shape.

Twelth and Final Overhaul/Refit (April 12, 2008 to April 17, 2010)
1) A skull with sunglasses was painted over the center of the islands wings of gold markings (noted in 2009 and 2010). Style of the wings of gold also changed since 2007 with the battle E painted below in a smaller letter.
2) The approach radar added in the 1990 - 1994 refit has hot rod style flame markings added to the base.
3) Possibly removed in 2011, but the Boat and Aircraft (B&A) Crane was removed prior to the final cruise. The crane needed extensive depot level maintenance and the Navy did not want to spend the money. Rather than lay it up, it was removed.

Last Cruise - 22nd and final deployment w/ CVW-1 (March 11, 2012 to ?)
1) Anchors were painted gold.

Inactivated December 1, 2012 and in process of being decommissioned.
Retirement was excellerated as Enterprise was by far the most expensive carrier in the Navy. The last reactor was defueled in December 2016. Was finally decommissioned on February3, 2017 and SOC.

Unknown dates things were added or modified:
1) When were the bomb jettison chutes added, the ones from the flight deck that clear the catwalks? (sometime after 1967 and before 1982)
2) Jet engine test stand added? (sometime before 1982)
3) When were the fight deck tie down points stopped being painted white?
4) When was the Tacan antenna added at the very top of the main mast?
5) When was the SLQ-17 electronic warfare antennas added? (sometime before 1990)
6) N/A - removed/answered
7) When were the two SMQ-10 weather satellite tracking antennas added? (I'm guessing 1979 fit)
8 ) Where the Mark 36 Chaff dispensers removed in the 1990 fit? Were they added in the 1979 fit?
9) When was the AN/SPS-67 radar added? (I’m guessing 1979 fit)
10) AN/SPS-12 2D air search radar for back up for the SCANFAR system. (added in the 1965 or or 1965 fit)
11) When was the front billboard "USS Enterprise CVN-65" lettering added? (looks like it was added in 1985 - see above)
12) Port side replenishment capability removed?
13) STREAM equipment added?
14) Sliding padeyes added to Elevator 2 and 3?
15) Fuel delivery systems replaced?
16) Overhead on Sponson 3 lowered for addition of avionic shops?
17) EA-6B avionics shops added to forward end of Bay 1?
18) When was the SHF SATCOM dome added to the fantail next to the approach radar? (Sometime after 2000)
19) Flight deck extension Next to the JBD for Cat 4 so the wingtip sidwinder could be armed just prior to launch.
20) External drain pipes or fuel pipes under elevator one were deleted around year 2001?
21) Hull stiffeners

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 am 

Got the hangar bay decals and carrier air wing 9 from Mark of Starfighter. Outstanding work! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm 

gtbred wrote:
Got the hangar bay decals and carrier air wing 9 from Mark of Starfighter. Outstanding work! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

gtbred,
"hanger bay decals"...Did I miss these Starfighter Decals? I looked but did not see them...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 pm 

Rob Jansen wrote:
gtbred wrote:

gtbred,
"hanger bay decals"...Did I miss these Starfighter Decals? I looked but did not see them...

Did you get your hangar bay decals?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm 

gtbred wrote:
Did you get your hangar bay decals?

gtbred,
Yes, I did, as always Mark was awesome!
Thank you so much for sharing!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 pm 

Just got more decals for my BigE from Starfighter Decals. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am 

gtbred wrote:
Just got more decals for my BigE from Starfighter Decals. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

:puppy_eyes: More?...there's...more?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm 

Rob Jansen wrote:
gtbred wrote:

:puppy_eyes: More?...there's...more?

Yes flight deck decals and deck tractors decals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:44 am 

Hello,

I'm planning to create a 3D printable model of the USS Enterprise CVN-65's 5-bladed screws (propellers) in 1/350 scale. These are also used on the Forrestal, Kitty Hawk, and Nimitz classes, at least from how they look. I've done some researches, and so far I only have the diameter, which is 22ft (please confirm if this is correct, because various sources quote the figure as 21ft, 22ft, and even 25ft, which is certainly not true). The last thing I need is the pitch, and I was unable to find it anywhere on the internet. I believe these kinds of screw characteristics can be obtained from sea trial and/or fuel consumption documents (which are quite easily found for some other USN ships), so if anyone here has a clue of where to get that pitch info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Aur

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 pm 

Hello to all!!! It has been a long while since I posted or asked a question here. Recently, I ran across a question as to whether or not 1/350 aircraft would be noticable out of scale on a 1/400 Revell Enterprise. If so, is anybody manufacturing a set of aircraft in this scale???

Cordially,
Lewis E. Matkin, Jr.
Ridge Manor, Florida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 am 

what time period for the carrier & what aircraft are you looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

You might find some goodies here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/snafu?s ... 00-500&s=0

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm 

I am looking for aircraft from her early service through 1971, any and all types.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 pm 

what aircraft came with the model?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WSAVP ... d=58666445
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DBSBX ... d=62047243
https://www.shapeways.com/product/JC89A ... d=56493925
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZBQT3 ... d=63328612
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XJ8EP ... d=64501111
https://www.shapeways.com/product/2KTW3 ... d=64375996
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GNXSA ... d=62261738
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ULP9H ... d=62268180
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6H85S ... d=63152972
https://www.shapeways.com/product/7KHJ6 ... d=59051143

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:47 pm 

David P, those will do nicely. Thank you, sir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:09 pm 

no problem. what aircraft came with the model?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 pm 

I built the kit in my younger days. I also have another in my stash to build. Looked at the instructions and the kit comes with A-4's, F-4's, F-8's, and HUP-3 Helo's....

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:19 pm 

1974-5 cwv 14 air wing including f14's, a7's, e2c's & sh3's.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 pm 

same aircraft that I had except I didn't have the ship. sold the aircraft except for the f8's(for my heller 1/400 Clemenceau aircraft carrier) to a member on this site or on steelnavy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next