The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:39 am 

Question: technically one could build Hasegawa's 1942 Shoho kit as the Zuiho in 1942 configuration, right?

As I said above, as I was looking at my unbuilt Shoho kit, it has all decals for a 1944 Zuiho as well, though of course the 1944 version has a different flight deck.

I am taking it Zuiho was pretty much identical to her sister in late 1941 or early 1942, though I am not sure if additional AA or other fittings were added when she sortied with Admiral Kondo's invasion force during the Battle of Midway in June 1942.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:22 pm 

AFAIK, they are identical at that time, aside from flight deck markings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:28 am 
A quick question: would the hullform of Shoho be similar to the Tone Class cruisers? There is 54ft difference in length in favour of the carrier, while the cruiser may be 4ft wider. In view of there being no 1/350 Shoho, would a Tamiya 1/350 Tone or Chikuma hull form a decent (but expensive) starting point for a 1/350 build?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm 

Guest wrote:
A quick question: would the hullform of Shoho be similar to the Tone Class cruisers? There is 54ft difference in length in favour of the carrier, while the cruiser may be 4ft wider. In view of there being no 1/350 Shoho, would a Tamiya 1/350 Tone or Chikuma hull form a decent (but expensive) starting point for a 1/350 build?

Wow. Aren't we ambitious? But if you're willing to spend to make a scratchbuilt of either a 1/350 Zuiho or Shoho, all the power to you.

Have you thought about getting unused spare parts of other 1/350 kits, such as a 1/350 Akagi flight deck which you can taper down, at our forum's buy and sell section?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:59 pm 
Yes, ambitious! I guess I'm just fascinated by hulls. I have taken some plans of this class and drawn into 1/350 scale - but I remember one source suggesting as war neared hullshapes became similar for the fast oilers/light carriers and planned cruisers... The hardest bit of the scratch will be interpreting the lines of the hull to get a reasonable shape with plank-on-frame plastic construction, so if the Tamiya hull is close it will save many, many hours.

Thank you for suggesting the buy and sell section.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 pm 

It's a very interesting observation, one I've noticed myself. I think you'll find that the rise in Tone's forecastle as it approaches the bow is much more significant that the Shohos. The Shoho stern may be a little fuller as well. Still, an interestin project to contemplate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm 
Plus if your gonna do one a Zuiho in 1944 would be allot more fun I would think. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:17 am 
As a quick bump to the thread, I've started to get a skeleton of a 1/350 Shoho cut out and assembled.. About to order a 1/700 version as a study guide (perhaps Zuiho too, very cool paint job and more fun I agree). It *kind of* looks like the unassembled 1/350 Chikuma pieces still unbuilt in the box.

Recently discovered a great 1/700 build of Soryu where exactly the same Tone-hull-swapping we have been discussing has occurred:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

As Tone is 620ft, Shoho 674 or so, and Soryu 745 there may be some cutting required on a 1/700 conversion. It's a point of contention that full hull versions of Kaga, Soryu, Shoho and Ryujo have yet to be released in 1/700 or 1/350 scale. Perhaps they are too obscure subjects?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am 

Fujimi to release a new mold of the Zuiho, slated for December, 2014. Hasegawa's current mold of this carrier dates to 1999 or so. Fujimi release will be circa 1944.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:43 pm 

Thx for the heads-up. I'm curious as to what they think will improve on the Hasegawa kit. Probably not the flight deck planking..............., not that the raised lines of the Hasegawa flight deck are such a joy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 pm 

Anyone know any details as yet about the new Fujimi 1/700 Shoho kit?

(Actually, has anyone got anything to say about the slightly less new Zuiho kit also?)

Attachments:
Fujimi Shoho.jpg
Fujimi Shoho.jpg [ 96.92 KiB | Viewed 6749 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:29 pm 

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment. Hopefully, someone else can. (Moderator, please combine with regular Shoho CASF. Thx.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:06 pm 

Does anybody know if Flyhawk replacement deck for Shoho works only with Hasegawa kit (as designed) or is good also for the newer and better Fujimi kit?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 am 

Flyhawk typically designs for the specific kit, so, it's unlikely to fit. But, you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

Available kits and gallery entries now posted on page 1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 pm 

I was a little discouraged by the flight deck situation, but I'm back at it. I'll figure something out for the flight deck.

Going through all the PE I now have and figuring it out. I have two questions:

1) "sea stairs" - I'm not sure what the right term is for these, but they are the stairs that comes down the side of the ship with a small ramp at sea level for someone boarding via a boat. Anyway, what happens to them when the ship is underway? Are they completely taken in, or just raised up to the level of the deck where the top of the stairs are, or what?

2) "flight deck wings" - again, not sure what the right term is for these, but they are the wing like things sticking out to each side at the back of the flight deck. I have two options on finishing them - there are two solid pieces of PE that sit on top of the assembly, one deeper than the other, and it says optional. I have no idea what the difference between the two are. I'd like any guidance about those.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm 

The "Sea Stairs" can be either a rope and wood affair that can be rolled up and stored on deck or in a nearby locker or it will be metal and/or wood and steel device that is hinged at the upper (deck) end. The steel version may be raised to deck level and secured if transiting short distances in calm seas, otherwise it will be raised aboard and stored somewhere out of the way, usually on the main deck area.

Paul O'Reilly (retired nasal radiator!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:23 am 

Those ladders are known as accommodation ladders, and were made primarily of wood in the IJN. They were collapsible, in that the stanchions and chain rails folded down and inward. In the Shohos, there were two sets forward and aft. The forward set was stored on the walkways above, the aft set stored on the stern boat deck.

Those landing light arrays or outriggers carried landing lights on the trailing edge to help guide pilots into the landing path. Which PE set?

Attachments:
Shoho, 12-20-41 aft handling station.jpg
Shoho, 12-20-41 aft handling station.jpg [ 75.78 KiB | Viewed 3614 times ]
Shoho_12-20-41_bow_crop.jpg
Shoho_12-20-41_bow_crop.jpg [ 85.45 KiB | Viewed 3614 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:30 am 

Thanks guys.

Dan, it's the Hasegawa hyper detail set. Looking at the kit there are actually three decals of different sizes with the red and white strips. I didn't go figure out whether there are three PE sizes yet, the instructions say there are two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm 

Apparently, the leading edge/portion of that array has a solid surface, and one set of strips goes on top.

I'm guessing that one width applies to the PE version; the other to the kit plastic version. (image courtesy of Hobbysearch Japan).

Attachments:
10546949a3.jpg
10546949a3.jpg [ 194.05 KiB | Viewed 3592 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next