The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am 

stripe at least 11 November 1929. This is one of the earliest known photos of Saratoga with her distinctive funnel stripe. http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020210.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/03.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm 

Don Grasmick wrote:
Greeting my friends, I have a tech question on the pre-war 1936 Saratoga. I have the Warship pictorial #11 (Lex class) but its not being specific enough in answering two questions for me. I was humbly hoping you all could help.

1. What year was the vertical black stripe painted on Sara? I'm doing her in 36' guise and cannot seem to find the answer.

Hey Don,
Sara received her funnel Stripe between April 20-May 3, 1929, after the carrier's return from Fleet Problem IX, when she was taken over command by Capt. Horne while at Long Beach, CA. By your time frame of '36 the vertical was her 'sight-sake' i.d., and she had lost her forward and aft turret top Stripes by mid-'36. Also, if You're thinking about that time frame, She was carrying her first 'E' painted on the funnel Stripe by late '36 that the carrier received in July. And she was carrying the two single pedestals .50-calibers MGs on the Number 2 turret platform by '36, but still retained the single pedestal twin-.50s on the No.3 aft turret.
Good Luck and HTH,
Michael,VA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18