The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm still alive
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:31 am 

vds242 wrote:
katana wrote:
Been away a while, but I'm back now.
It's only a short time ago I found the way back to my Yamato model and very recently to the ship model forum.
Which is good.
I discovered here some posts that refered to my earlier YAMATO RIGGING project.
Which convinced me to ask you the following question on this forum:
Are there still people who are interested to see the rest of the 2017 rigging project ?

Gentlemen ,
have a nice day,
katana

Hi Katana!
I find it very interesting to see your rigging. Because this is a big question which is often "not so important" for many Modeller.
But especially in case of the Yamato Class the rigging is very unique and imho far more complex than on other Battleships.
Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris.
I will start again the rigging sessions. But first I need to recover my personal YAMATO files and translate them all.
It will take some time to get on real cruising speed. Hope to start in a couple of months.
And once started, the full Yamato rigging will be published on this forum. Keep an eye open....
Have a nice day,
KATANA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:28 pm 
I received a response from the Yamato Museum regarding my anchor chain question:

Thank you for your inquiry to Yamato Museum. We checked the picture that you mentioned. There is one possibility to explain your inquiry. Sometimes, the anchor chains stored in chain locker in combat, to avoid damage and the splinter. Maybe the anchor chains of Battle ship Yamato were stored in chain locker during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go.

Sincerely,
Takeshi KUBO
Yamato Museum/Kure maritime museum
Phone +81-823-25-30745-20 Takaramachi Kure City, Hiroshima prefecture, JAPAN
Zip 737-0029

Although this is a possible explanation as to what happened to the anchor chains, I find it unlikely. If this was the procedure in preparing for combat, why weren’t the anchor chains on Yamato and Musashi placed in the chain lockers during Operation Sho-Go at Leyte. They are present on both ships and secured.

The more telling aspect of the Yamato Museum’s response to the question is that they looked at the evidence and acknowledged the fact that the anchor chains were indeed missing during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go. Whether the anchor chains were removed from the ship or stored in the chain lockers, the fact remains that they were not on deck during the operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:45 am 

@Katana
Nice to hear that you will be back with the rigging.
I think it isn´t a problem if you need much time, because at the end it is important to get the best result!
You´re Welcome!

@WBF
Very interesting and nice that you have got a fast response from the Yamato Museum! So we can say it is now a fact that the anchor chains are missing.
Now the question is why? (Your first question here in the Yamato/Musashi Thread!)

It is funny that I couldn´t sleep well last night because I had to think constantly about the reason! :lol_1:

Now my „theory“ (which is similar to yours!).

On December 31st 1944 the Chief of the Shipbuilding Division of the Kure Navy Yard got a Report from the Technical Navy Department about improvemts of future Battleship Designs. It was the result of investigations in the loss of the Musashi.

So it was clear in case of the Yamato that one of the biggest weak points is the nearly unprotected Bow area. (Musashi got ~8 torpedo hits in her bow section which were fatal in case of her buoyancy)
In case of the Musashi the port Anchor was dropped after the last attack to correct her list to port. But with no effect.....

I have searched for the weight of the anchor chains of the Yamato Class, but could only find some weight description for the Bismarck Class and the Iowa Class.

The complete weight of her two bow anchor chains are ~82 tons for the Bismarck Class.
For the Iowa Class it is ~ 136 tons.

I believe that the anchor chains of the Yamato Class are similar to the Iowa Class.

So the Yamato can save ~136 tons for buoyancy in her bow section by removing both chains.

But make it sense to keep the anchors, because the mission was to beach the Yamato!? They could save another 30 tons.....but on the other hand, 30 tons are nothing when Yamato got a torpedo hit.

I am of your opinion that the anchors are still in place, because you can see on the most famous photo that the starboard anchor „interrupt“ the bow wave from the point of view.

At the end we will probably never know why the anchor chains were removed.

I haven´t built as much models as you, but since 1981 I have collected books and magazines about the Yamato Class. So I´m currently have a collection of ~50 books/magazines about them.

As you are a member of the FB group, can you please give me your full name (via FB messenger or per PM) so that I can refer to you when I include the „anchor chain“ fact in the next PDF?

Best Wishes
Christian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:37 am 

Question from someone with PitRoad 1/700 Yamato 1945 Final version-As sunk.

What type of changes would I have to make to backdate her to Leyte Gulf? Is there a lot to do?

I have attached below a comparison pic of Fujimi vs Pitroad kits. Do these make sense to look at to higlight differences, mainly AA suit? (1944 in middle, 1945 up and down)

Attachments:
1944 vs 1945.jpeg
1944 vs 1945.jpeg [ 366.31 KiB | Viewed 35927 times ]

Post subject: New 1/200 Yamato
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:45 am 
Just got the new MRC Gallery Model kit. Comments cross posted from review section. Just got the kit, so this is just some initial impressions and a few little bits assembled so far. Its big. Really big. And has a ga-jillion parts. It is the Yamato in its final 1945 configuration, though appears that earlier and/or Musashi may be coming, or if one is willing to do some research, build some of the earlier configurations with what is in the kit. (I'm going to go a bit further and back date it to the December of 1941 configuration) The hull is in two halves with substantial reenforcement already in place. The main deck is in two parts, the wooden fore and mid deck, and separate concrete aft section. There is a mass of photo-etch, as one might expect (especially for the price, locally just under US$1,000) That isn't as awful as one might expect, having gotten the Trumpeter USS Iowa plus the Pontos photo-etch set (very highly recommended) for nearly as much. The build looks like it will be very straight forward and appears to well match the new edition Anatomy of the Ship by Skulski and Draminski. However, this is not a quick shake and bake easy kit to assemble. Over and above the shear mass of parts, the fit of some of the part will need a little attention. Nothing awful (so far) but be prepared to have some thinned filler to get some of the little gaps that will come up. Test fitting and a little extra attention to mating surfaces will also be needed. Nothing a modeler with any experience can't handle (so far).

Post subject: Re: New 1/200 Yamato
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:16 am 

sagallacci wrote:
Just got the new MRC Gallery Model kit. Comments cross posted from review section. Just got the kit, so this is just some initial impressions and a few little bits assembled so far. Its big. Really big. And has a ga-jillion parts. It is the Yamato in its final 1945 configuration, though appears that earlier and/or Musashi may be coming, or if one is willing to do some research, build some of the earlier configurations with what is in the kit. (I'm going to go a bit further and back date it to the December of 1941 configuration) The hull is in two halves with substantial reenforcement already in place. The main deck is in two parts, the wooden fore and mid deck, and separate concrete aft section. There is a mass of photo-etch, as one might expect (especially for the price, locally just under US$1,000) That isn't as awful as one might expect, having gotten the Trumpeter USS Iowa plus the Pontos photo-etch set (very highly recommended) for nearly as much. The build looks like it will be very straight forward and appears to well match the new edition Anatomy of the Ship by Skulski and Draminski. However, this is not a quick shake and bake easy kit to assemble. Over and above the shear mass of parts, the fit of some of the part will need a little attention. Nothing awful (so far) but be prepared to have some thinned filler to get some of the little gaps that will come up. Test fitting and a little extra attention to mating surfaces will also be needed. Nothing a modeler with any experience can't handle (so far).

Hello!

It is good that you want to build the "Trumpeter" Yamato in her first configuration! Because this Kit has so many errors and inaccuracies (in case of her final configuration) that I still can´t believe it. I´m currently writing a PDF about the errors and inaccuracy. It is a work in progress and I have spent so much time in it, you won´t believe it!
Perhaps you want to become a member of our FB group, where you can download my PDF? Even if you want to build the first configuration, the PDF will be very helpful (IMHO).
But don´t forget, this is a work in progress! But I think it is now ready by 75 percent.
FB group: "Trumpeter 1:200 Battleship Yamato ONLY tips n tricks"

It is really strange that Trumpeter uses multiple sources for this Kit. It looks like a mixture of Skulski´s AotS 2017, Model Art No. 745, the 1/10 Yamato, Gakken No. 54, plus some "unreal" sources......

Nearly every members of our FB group is waiting for the upcoming Basic Upgrde Set from Pontos (available end of June or in July)

But in the end it is possible to get a very accurate Yamato. And it is not as difficult as the "Nichimo Nightmare" :cool_2:

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:25 pm 

The important answers will come from the modeler who finishes one and post his build. As for accuracy, it's a crap shoot. If you look around on internet shops, the first round of kits sold out the first day with an introductory sale price. For the ones that want this, find room in your closet cuz it's a 4 foot long box. If anyone finds additional information on this, please post it here, so we all can stay informed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:53 am 

sagallacci wrote:
I just did a preliminary description/review in the review section. Good news. Its big, it looks like the Yamato, has a zillion parts and a lot of photo-etch, and with a bit of research, several configurations of the Yamato (and maybe the Musashi ?) can be worked up from it with what is in the box (and it would not be a stretch that alternate boxings with other versions are possible). However, there is some bad news. If you trust the new edition of Skulski and Draminski's "Anatomy of the Ship" there are a lot of details in the kit that don't match. They tend to be smallish things that can be sort of over looked, some shapes of parts, some port holes and vents were they might not belong, that short of thing. As for the kit, parts fit is mostly merely "okay" with some mating surfaces needing attention and some fit not being as tight as one might like, so a dash of thinned filler here and there may be called for.

Best sources are Skulski 2017, Model Art No. 745, Gakken No. 54 and the 1/10 Yamato in the Kure Museum!

Skulski did again a good job, but with more errors than in his first Edition in 1988. A lot of Scale informations are wrong. He changes things inside this 2017 Version.

And for the real Yamato Nerds, there are a lot of errors in this new Kit! I´m currently working on a "Inaccuracies PDF". And ech day I find new errors in the Kit. Sometimes really simple ones, like the Degausing Cable and the Scutter Pipes on the Hull are to small! Or too short bases for 4,5m Rangefinder.........

It is good to wait for an Upgrade Set (like Ponto)

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:15 pm 

vds242 wrote:
sagallacci wrote:
I just did a preliminary description/review in the review section. Good news. Its big, it looks like the Yamato, has a zillion parts and a lot of photo-etch, and with a bit of research, several configurations of the Yamato (and maybe the Musashi ?) can be worked up from it with what is in the box (and it would not be a stretch that alternate boxings with other versions are possible). However, there is some bad news. If you trust the new edition of Skulski and Draminski's "Anatomy of the Ship" there are a lot of details in the kit that don't match. They tend to be smallish things that can be sort of over looked, some shapes of parts, some port holes and vents were they might not belong, that short of thing. As for the kit, parts fit is mostly merely "okay" with some mating surfaces needing attention and some fit not being as tight as one might like, so a dash of thinned filler here and there may be called for.

Best sources are Skulski 2017, Model Art No. 745, Gakken No. 54 and the 1/10 Yamato in the Kure Museum!

Skulski did again a good job, but with more errors than in his first Edition in 1988. A lot of Scale informations are wrong. He changes things inside this 2017 Version.

And for the real Yamato Nerds, there are a lot of errors in this new Kit! I´m currently working on a "Inaccuracies PDF". And ech day I find new errors in the Kit. Sometimes really simple ones, like the Degausing Cable and the Scutter Pipes on the Hull are to small! Or too short bases for 4,5m Rangefinder.........

It is good to wait for an Upgrade Set (like Ponto)

Chris

You would think that this new kit would have all the inaccuracies corrected and additional PE Sheets would not be necessary. With the price of $650+ knowing that to correct issues will bring the total price to about $1000 will be too steep for some.

Sometimes I think that kit manufactures know their projects are inaccurate, but due to deadlines and cost, they just put them out on the market and consider it done.

I would wait and watch for builds online. The more information out there the better. Look at the bright side, who has a bench long enough to set this monster of a hull down to work on it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:38 pm 

baseballbrat wrote:
You would think that this new kit would have all the inaccuracies corrected and additional PE Sheets would not be necessary. With the price of $650+ knowing that to correct issues will bring the total price to about $1000 will be too steep for some.

Sometimes I think that kit manufactures know their projects are inaccurate, but due to deadlines and cost, they just put them out on the market and consider it done.

I would wait and watch for builds online. The more information out there the better. Look at the bright side, who has a bench long enough to set this monster of a hull down to work on it?

Hi!

I think too, that manufactures are inaccurate, for producing Aftermarket Sets.

I heard the story, that the Shipyard who had built the HOOD, had found original plans for the Hood, who were missed. They informed Trumpeter, who were still deisgning their 1:200 Hood. But Trumpeter didn´t want these "lost plans"!

So Trumpeter did know, that her upcoming 1:200 Hood would be inaccurate!

During my research on the new 1:200 Yamato I noticed that Trumpeter had used different sources, and mixed them together. It is really strange. Sometimes they followed the 1:10 Yamato, sometimes Skulski (2017), sometimes Gakken, sometimes Model Art, sometimes unknown sources......

It looks really like they had thrown all the different sources in one bucket and everybody could take something out of this bucket.......

but 99,9 percent of the people who are buying this Kit, are NOT Rivetcounter or Nerds. They give a f..k on accuracy.

And then you can say, Trumpeter did a good job.

On the other hand, they had gone for ONE soruce. And the result would be better than the actual Kit.

It isn´t a joke, but there are a few points, where the superold Nichimo Kit is more accurate! And that´s a shame for Trumpeter.

And yes, I think that their "Yamato Team" had a deadline. And at that deadline, the Kit was finished/designed by 80 percent.......

It is interesting that in our FB group no one has started the Kit (it looks like so, because no one had posted photos from currently buildings)! Main reason is, they are waiting for Pontos Upgrade Set.

And I know, that a few guys are checking the inaccuracies too!

IMHO the second "generation" of modellers will get all the important infos, to build an accurate 1:200 Yamato.

Nice detail of the Kit are, that you can build all of Yamato´s configurations. You need only a few extra parts. And it is possible, that we will get a Musashi too. Because their are markers for the linoleum stripes of Musashi too on the Aircraftdeck!

We will see......

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:17 am 

Since my last post got lost a bit in the interesting discussion above, Ill ask once more: is there a good source for Yamato fit in Leyte Gulf regarding weapons deployed and locations on deck, and radars?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:12 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

vds242 wrote:
...On the other hand, they had gone for ONE soruce. And the result would be better than the actual Kit....

Hi Chris,

Which source do you think is most accurate, or most helpful?

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:36 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:
vds242 wrote:
...On the other hand, they had gone for ONE soruce. And the result would be better than the actual Kit....

Hi Chris,

Which source do you think is most accurate, or most helpful?

Hello!

It is not sooo easy, but I had posted earlier that Skulski´s AotS (2017), Model Art No. 745 and photos of the 1/10 Yamato in the Kure Museum are the best sources.

But again, it is important too, that everyone did his own research by analyzing the above sources with original photos.

Many people believe that Skulski´s AotS is the "Yamato Bible". But he made a lot of errors.

And yes, it is good to buy real books instead of thinking, "everything must be for free" (in the Web). This has nothing to do with you. But it´s a typical behaviour for young generations.

One good books with a collections of original photos of Yamato and Musashi is:

"The Battleships Yamato and Musashi: Selected Photos from the Archives of the Kure Maritime Museum"

There are a lot more good books (from Japan), but they are all sold out, and very rare on the second hand market.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:56 pm 
As I've been doing some preliminary work on the kit, I've found that some bits are more like the old edition Skulski book rather than the new edition. Also, some of the base details, like the toe rails on the superstructure, are a mix of old references, fiction(?), and Yamato and Musashi details (which, according to the new edition, are different) For the rest of what's going on with discussion about the kit, I'm coming in late and limited so far, so please excuse any obvious things I'm now mentioning. One thing I am a little happy about is that the kit, with what's in the box and a little work, looks like it can be built as most any period of the Yamato's career. However I'm also looking at a lot of work to charge or at least mitigate some of the worst of the errors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 am 

Books are never sold out in Japan, they are just hard to find, but not impossible. Also search on eBay under IJN Yamato. Some sellers have good prices, but you have to remember that the original price which you might think high is a regular price. Average Yamato books are about 2500yen. You can also shop at used book stores in Japan and pick up the hard to find books.

For those who are looking for books, don't give up. I must have collected about 30 and always looking for more. Skulski's books are still the most detailed, and the two Model Art issues are second best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:58 pm 
Those that have the new Trumpeter 1/200 Yamato or have seen photos of the hull or video of an unboxing on You Tube know that Trumpeter has included a representation of the Japanese Type “O” passive Sonar Array on the bow of the ship.

This is shown as a pattern of raised knobs located port and starboard of the bulbous bow, much like Trumpeter represented the GHG (Gruppenhorchgerät or Group Listening Device) Passive Hydrophone Array on the Bismarck with a pattern of holes. And just like the GHG, the Type “O” was designed only to be used as a passive listening device while the ship was at anchor or moving at very slow speed.

Skulski confirms that Yamato and Musashi both had this feature installed and shows in a compartment diagram the Underwater Hydrophone Room at the very tip of the bow, but I can find no illustration by Skulski to depict an exterior view of the Type “O” Array and have been unable to find any illustration of any type in any of my reference books (I have 20 on the Yamato alone). I have also checked numerous models of various scales (1/10, 1/100, 1/200, 1/250, 1/350 etc.) as well as videos of the Yamato and Musashi wreck sites without success. I contacted the Yamato Museum in Kure regarding this detail (their 1/10 scale model shows no surface detail on the bow to represent it). They responded, stating they have no reference regarding the Type "O" Sonar Array, therefore they did not model any detail on the bow accordingly.

Does anyone have access to any reference that may help clarify this? Failing that, does anyone have any contacts at Trumpeter who may reveal their source for the detail they modeled?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:35 pm 

Here's a good review of the new 1:200 Yamato kit.
https://youtu.be/-eTkwi7w_Is

The price of this kit is all over the place, Lot's of choices between $839USD - $399USD. Remember this kits is so big that shipping cost could cost you a pretty penny. I just depends on how much you want to pay for the box art. Otherwise they are all identical inside.

Last edited by baseballbrat on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:14 pm 

Yesterday I purchased the kit. Price seemed fair and shipping was almost free. After looking at the reviews, the kit looks excellent and Trumpeter did a good job molding the parts. Sprue's are separated into 5 smaller boxes with the hull taking up half of the space. I decided to get this before the price increases. Tamiya has already announced an increase, so I'm guessing Trumpeter is right behind them. Their kits has been going up the past two years, so I'm not waiting. Here in the US the price is higher then if purchased in the Orient. Remember it's the same kit regardless of the box art and manufacture brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm 

Hey Guys,

Here's a real treat for those interested in the new 1:200 Yamato........

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... ctions.pdf

Thanks to Black_sheep on the Kit Maker Forums for providing this PDF through Axels Modellbau Shop.de

All 96 pages!

Enjoy!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:50 am 

Very nice picture:

The battleship Yamato during its sea trials.

Full speed ahead! 最高速で前へ !

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next