The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:47 pm 

There is a dimensioned X section in the Turret and Mount catalogue at HNSA. I know I have seen plan drawings as well somewhere. Good luck! Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 pm 

No, that/those are not what I'd seen. It was a 'very large' sheet of paper that had the turret on there, with a number of sectional drawings of each floor and such (to the best of my memory) as well as dimensional drawings of the 16" projectiles.

It was a large 'blueprint' type sheet of paper that was rolled up when we were finished. (if only I could print my memories.....)

Post subject: Several REsponses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:45 am 

1. Vol. 1 is: https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Battleshi ... 098998043X

2. I just got a coaming plan. The original coaming for the ammo hatches was either 5" or 5 1/2", depending upon the hatch.

3. Detailed plans of the turrets take up a lot of sheets. There are plans of the armor, the backing bulkheads, ordnance, gun girders, bulkheads, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:00 am 

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification on Volume 1. I highly recommend this book. Having spent three years volunteering on USS Iowa I found this book of extreme interest. Not only documenting spaces that I had accessed on the ship but also showing spaces I had not seen. Fabulous reference.

Bill

Post subject: Re: Several REsponses
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:08 pm 

bigjimslade wrote:
1. Vol. 1 is: https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Battleshi ... 098998043X

2. I just got a coaming plan. The original coaming for the ammo hatches was either 5" or 5 1/2", depending upon the hatch.

3. Detailed plans of the turrets take up a lot of sheets. There are plans of the armor, the backing bulkheads, ordnance, gun girders, bulkheads, etc.

I'm definitely interested. Verily so.....

Post subject: Re: Several REsponses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:20 pm 

Sean_the_Nailer wrote:

As the number of places to look dwindles, I fear the many of the plans for the Iowa class (including the turrets) have been lost to history.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:22 am 

Is there a separate CASF for Iowas post 1980s modernisation, or the info is all posted here, mixed with WW2 bits?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 am 

As far as I know this is the thread for all Iowa topics. A number of yeas back I converted my 1:192 Missouri to it's current (last in commission) configuration. Some projects may have a separate project under Works in Progress, or the scratch building areas. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:54 pm 

Hi folks,

Just on the off chance this is of interest to the IOWA-buffs here: I recently painted a picture of IOWA in her late 1980's guise. The work was commissioned as a gift for one of IOWA's former commanding officers - hence the odd mix of consorts to which the skipper had a personal connection, either by having served in or having commanded across his 40-year career..

The work is oil on linen and at the smaller end of the scale for studio originals, at 400 x 200mm.

I hope you will all enjoy seeing it.

.. and with apologies for yet another shameless plug!

Best wishes,

Joseph R

https://josephreindler.com/bb-61-uss-iowa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:45 pm 

I was watching a video on the Battleship New Jersey YouTube channel earlier and it stated that the top of the ready ammo lockers were painted white to reflect heat from the contents and wondered if this was the case when the ship had blue decks? I have photos of Iowa with blue decks and at least some of the 20mm lockers have light coloured tops but I'd assumed that they were the same grey as the superstructure...

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:35 pm 

A whole whack of pages ago, (+100) there was some discussion about the elevated 'rings' that were on the pedestals of the 20mm mounts. And it was shown that they were for the gunners feet, to really get 'elevation' and such.

My point being, was watching a National Geographic show the other night, about 'Hero Ships' and specifically the LST episode. They had a few REALLY good shots of those rings, but they weren't just 'round' they were 'segmented' quite like a bearing retainer ring.

I'm not doing the description much justice, but it truly showed the adaptation of the ring and it's progression through the WWII boats and such. If I was any gooder at this, I'd be able to figure out how to put up a still from that show, but anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:37 pm 

Here's the rings on the museum ship USS Slater
Attachment:
SlaterMuseum_057.JPG
SlaterMuseum_057.JPG [ 2.99 MiB | Viewed 5882 times ]

Attachment:
SlaterMuseum_062.JPG
SlaterMuseum_062.JPG [ 3.58 MiB | Viewed 5882 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 pm 

The 20 MM on the battleships mostly had an elevating wheel which would obviate a need for the foot rings. Never say never, but I don't think the modern BB's had them, whereas I am sure that the LSM' and a lot of the amphibious types did. Not to my knowledge did the ARL's have them. Slater was a DE and was probably less lavishly equipped. And of course I could be wrong!

The "whodidz" always make for a good discussion.Cheers: Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:52 am 

An interesting question re. the 20mm mounts on IOWA class BBs - I've looked over my IOWA and NEW JERSEY photos and have found a couple variations of the mount base on NEW JERSEY. As for IOWA, I haven't been able to determine anything other than the std. round pedestal base WITHOUT any "foot" rings. However, in the case of NEW JERSEY, I have found 2 variations of the 20mm base:
1) in 1945 at PSNSY she had at least a couple mounts (fwd. bow) that had foot rings on the base:
Attachment:
016294 - cropped.jpg
016294 - cropped.jpg [ 185.68 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

2)In addition, she also had a double ring base mount on some of her 20mm mounts located aft of Turret 3:
Attachment:
BB-62 Turret 3  Reclining Tests 06-24-45 #3101-45 - Cropped.jpg
BB-62 Turret 3 Reclining Tests 06-24-45 #3101-45 - Cropped.jpg [ 199.16 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

3) There also appears to be the std. round base ring located on the port/stbd. side amidships, also from 1945:
Attachment:
3099-45 Puget Sound - Cropped.jpg
3099-45 Puget Sound - Cropped.jpg [ 159.05 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

As for the lighter colored 20mm R/S locker tops, what photos I have of IOWA (1943 sea trials) do show either a light gray or possibly white coating applied.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:52 am 

BB62vet wrote:
As for the lighter colored 20mm R/S locker tops, what photos I have of IOWA (1943 sea trials) do show either a light gray or possibly white coating applied.

Thanks Hank, in your second photo there (I appreciate that it is the NJ rather than Iowa), the tops of the lockers do slightly lighter than the grey sides, possibly suggesting white rather than grey, although that could be a trick of the light.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 am 

John,

Anything color-wise on WWII USN ships - I would defer to Tracy White or Rick E. Davis - they have been working on the various color schemes for these ships and probably know them as well as anyone. My only comment is that it "appears" that the R/S locker tops are lighter than the sides - doesn't mean it's so!!! :thinking:

Some color photos of pre-war battleships show the fwd turrets as white, when in actuality they are haze or light gray - sunlight can distort what we see!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:15 am 

Good info Hank:

As a photographer specializing in Black and White work, what we see in the print is a value of reflectance. The Kodak neutral Grey card is 18% reflectance, which is close in value to many of the WWII USN paints, but when the card angled at the sun in various directions will give a very different value in a print. This is of course what allows us to visualize 3D objects in a 2D image. Shading! Of course being in a brighter situation, we are presented with high values which contribute as much to the effect as shading. During the era either ortho or pan chromatic films were used, which has a big effect on sea, clouds and especially anything that is red or blue. Actual warship closeups are not greatly effected by this in most cases except where strong blue values might be present.

To express an opinion? The top of the ready boxes are probably the same paint as their sides.

Cheers: Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:17 pm 

Thanks for the extra input Tom, I think I'll just keep the tops the same colour as the sides.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:20 pm 

I've left a lot of my 20 mm ready boxes the same color as the sides. Sometimes definite info is available, and according to my reading of the WWII USN painting instructions, all the horizontal surfaces should be deck gray appropriate to the scheme. However one guesses ships often had a long round tuit list in a war zone and small details weren't high in priority. Also in there, undersides of overhangs were to be painted white to lessen shadows.

Good luck with your project! Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:32 pm 

If I may, I'm asking for anyone whom has, knows where, or can take..... 3 pictures (preferably from the New Jersey) pilothouse.

One standing behind the helm,

One standing starboard-aft looking "forward port",

One standing port-aft looking "forward starboard".

I hope I have relayed my request accurately, as I have a few ideas of doing something 'a bit different' than what I'm aware-of, anyways.... with my model. This would be Post-80's re-fit. Please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 239  Next