The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Why would most of us here want one? I think most of us are builders and take little joy in merely owning a completed model without having gone through the building process.

Ennui.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 am 

Hasegawa is re-releasing the IJN Mikasa with a figure of Admiral's Akiyama Saneyuki plus a poster of IJN Mikasa, link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10160938

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 pm 

Am in the progress of building the Mikasa 1/350 scale and have the Eduard PE set.
Am building it for the battle in Japanese waters and was wondering on the smoke stake tops, there are the plastic one's that raise up and the eduard ones that fit over the top of the stake, are the eduard ones ok for the Battle against the Russians!!!.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 pm 

Give me couple of days Captain. I have photo of Mikasa which might answer your question but caption needs to be translated to check the date.

EDIT - ok, thanks to our forum member potchip I have translation already!

According to Mikasa's photo dated early February 1905 Eduard's caps are a bit too tall and WAY too square:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:01 pm 

Hi guys, i just picked up a Mikasa kit for a future build, but i was wondering if anyone knew how much work would be involved to convert it to a Majestic Class BB? how much commonality would there be between the ships?

cheers folks :)

"I kicked it."
"Ahh."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm 

Ahh thanks for that DariusP, so its correct but needs to be less square, thanks thats a big help.

The picture tells it all :thumbs_up_1: .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 pm 

Andy, this question has been asked before and the answer is: no commonality at all I am afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am 

Hi dariusP mate.
Have altered the chimney stack, what do you think,is that better.
Done darker to see alteration better.
With more light.
Were there any other big changes for the Japan sea battle, have not found any so far.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:18 pm 

You are almost there Captain. If you can make those caps a bit more curving upwards (convex) you will be there :)

By the looks of the vents around funnels I am guessing that you have "Battle of the Japan Sea" version of the kit? If so than you are set! Just don't use Eduard's fighting tops on masts or splinter shields for 3inch guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 pm 

Great thanks :thumbs_up_1: .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:01 am 

Seems I have changed me mind and want to do the earlier version against the Russians which ended up not so convincing for the Japanese till later.
With the splinter shields for 3in guns etc.
Were the chimney's the same then as I have some on the way,(not happy with the Eduard one,s) :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm 

Wash your mouth with soap Captain! Those are funnels not chimneys :big_grin: As for the earlier version on Mikasa... Funnels' cages were most likely the same BUT vents weren't (http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG40061) and, if you have later version of the kit, you will not have correct vents for the earlier version.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:50 am 

Now have all the Information for both early and later.

The Funnel tops will be changed :wave_1:.

Thanks for your help, its comeing along nicly now. :cool_2: .

This is comeing along with most of the railings,steps etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm 

Hello everybody,
I bought this kit several years ago, and it has been sitting on the top shelf waiting for inspiration for quite a while now. (battle of the japanese sea version)
The big question is what PE kit to use. Eduard, GMM or WEM? (sea masters guns will be ordered.)
I like the fact that the GMM kit is more "cut to size" regarding the railing and so on, but the WEM kit looks good aswell.
The Eduard kit is the cheapest among the lot, so its got that gooing for it, otherwise im mot to sure about the eduard kit
as far as WEM i have only used their 1:200 sovremenny PE kit and that one i liked.

Please help me out here as im lost right now...

// Claes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

Hi Caes.

Well there both good WEM and Eduard, if your doing the Battle of the Japan sea well Eduard can do ether, so thats going for them plus the price.
Only you can decide, have you gone onto the WEM site, that might help your choice.
I think from looking at both etchings that the WEM should have been my choice.

I used the Eduard for my effort but had some other stuff from prev works on Japanease ships to help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 pm 

Hasegawa' set also is good but expensive. There is also a lot of alternatives for brass barrels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:06 pm 

well as it turned out i ordered the GMM set and the masters guns for her. i know that there apparently is an issue with the stands for the dingis but apart from that i just liked the look of it.

hopefully i will be starting the build next month :)

Post subject: 1/700 Mikasa Question
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm 

New to the forum. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light or build thoughts/review on the Seal 1/700 Mikasa. I am awaiting the arrival of my Ebay purchase and am looking forward to seeing how good the kit is (or isn't). Thoughts on detail, accuracy, available detail sets etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Jim Johnston

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:04 pm 

Great quality, and for the accuracy the only problem that I noticed was the small guns dosent look convincing, and you have to pay a lot of care in the instructions. Compered with the 1/350 by Hesgawa model, I think the Seals model is better suited for an early IJN Mikasa rather than a later period(it offers only the early type ventilators).
Fit is great btw(the hull is split in two).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 pm 

Atma wrote:
Compered with the 1/350 by Hesgawa model, I think the Seals model is better suited for an early IJN Mikasa rather than a later period(it offers only the early type ventilators).

Only the Japan Sea Hasegawa model - the Yellow Sea kit comes with the early masts and ventilators.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next