The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:04 am 
I ordered mine in Japan in October 2015, when there were only CAD drawings on website of WAVE CORPORATION (Japan). Wave Corporation claims to be the designer of the kit. However, I was a little surprised when a received a kit that was obviously produced by Trumpeter. My kit contains the vents and the photo etched screens for the vents. I guess this is the same for the MERIT version of the kit. Together with the Pontos aftermarket fittings, it might be a good basis for conversions. I also own RC HMS Magnificent in 1/96. I would say a conversion based on this kit will be more accurate. However, the work will be substantial.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:39 pm 

Hi folks. I've just got the Hasegawa 1/700 Mikasa (plus etch) and was wondering about the Grey she was painted in. Was it similar to any of the WW2 IJN Greys? Also was there any Linoleum covered decks?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 am 

Pelorus wrote:
Together with the Pontos aftermarket fittings, it might be a good basis for conversions. I also own RC HMS Magnificent in 1/96. I would say a conversion based on this kit will be more accurate. However, the work will be substantial.

Mikasa to Mars? It would require about the same amount of effort as building her from the scratch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:01 am 

Mike W wrote:
Hi folks. I've just got the Hasegawa 1/700 Mikasa (plus etch) and was wondering about the Grey she was painted in. Was it similar to any of the WW2 IJN Greys? Also was there any Linoleum covered decks?

thanks
Mike

Yes and no :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:21 pm 

DariusP wrote:
Mike W wrote:

thanks
Mike

Yes and no :)

Which Grey would be closest to the Grey she was painted in during 1905?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:48 pm 

I'm doing a Mikasa 1904/Battle of Port Arthur. Instructions say dark/medium gray overall (except for wooden decks). Just checking other sources to see if that's correct. And would that be a Kure or Sasebo gray? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 am 

Sorry about the late reply. Sasebo gray.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:34 am 

Thanks! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:56 am 

Another Mikasa question...my model (1/700 Hasegawa) has some parallal lines on the main turret tops. Are these linoleum panels, or armored vents? What color should they be...linoleum brown or ship color? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:36 pm 

This sectional view of the turret suggests they are vents - or at the very least, structurally integrated into the turret top. I don't think I've ever seen it portrayed as a separate colour other than as weathering or highlighting. They are not present on the museum ship today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:07 pm 

So...armored vent louvers. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 pm 

When guns were not in use those louvers were covered with sheet metal or fabric covers to prevent sea water from getting into the turret.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 am 

Hi! I just bought the Full Hull Special Hasegawa 1/700 Mikasa. It calls for a gray paint scheme for Battle of Yellow Sea (1904) and for Tsushima (1905). The other full hull kit I see for sale has Victorian paint scheme with black hull, white superstructures and is 1902 but I dont own it.

Question: can I paint mine 1905 kit in victorian colors from 1902? When did the ship lose its victrorian markings? What are the differences in 1905 ship vs 1902?

I ask because I really like the old paint scheme but want to avoid having a completely wrong ship. Was Mikasa heavily visually modified between the time it wore its victorian paint job and the all grey one in the kit I have?

Being new to Mikasa, I gather that she had fighting tops with on masts (I have those in the kit), the masts looked a little different but can be scratch built (but I think kit has them), and the ship had launches at the back which were understandably removed for battle version (while not on 1905, again kit has those!). I assume the sprues might have some extra parts? Did I miss anything? What are those ventilators everyone talks about? ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am 

You'll find the answers to those questions earlier in the thread as they relate to the 1/350 kit ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am 

Timmy C wrote:
You'll find the answers to those questions earlier in the thread as they relate to the 1/350 kit ;)

Timmy C wrote:
In regards to the black&white scheme, I can see that there were at least 4 arrangements:

black cowls & black masts up to "star fish" (page 12 museum guidebook)
black cowls & black masts all the way to the top (page 4 guidebook, colour drawing page 17 guidebook, and Darius' picture above)
white cowls & black masts up to fighting tops (page 10 guidebook, two of Darius' pictures above)
white masts, unknown cowl colour (page 27 guidebook)

So those are your choices if doing Mikasa pre-war.

I see you write there cowls, which ones are you talking about?
Unfortunately all the drawing pics uploads are from hosting services that went dead a while ago.

There is no good summary here anywhere how to build victorian mikasa without reading 9 pages and even there if you dont know what you look for it is a tad hard to follow. I mean building Yellow Sea version and painting it victorian style / is that wrong? My kit has Japan Sea and Yellow Sea battle versions. So masts are same on Yellow Sea as when launched, and boats are provided.

Then there is a question of what people mean by victorian paint scheme. Assume black hull, white superstructures, black funnels with 3 white stripes?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 am 

Yes, Victorian paint scheme refers to the black and white scheme. In short, yes, the Yellow Sea configuration will be accurate for some part of Mikasa's life when she wore the Victorian scheme.

Cowls are the ventilators next to the funnels on the secondary guns deck. They're the ones you add in Step 8 of your kit. Choose option 2 for Yellow Sea and earlier configuration, and Option 1 for Japan Sea.

Hasegawa did a pretty good job in highlighting the decision points throughout the 1/700 kit instructions - every time you see a choice, that's where the major differences are for Yellow Sea/Victorian versus Japan Sea configurations. It seems that they're consistent in making all Option 2 parts apply to the Yellow Sea/Victorian configuration - steps where these options are raised include Steps 2, 5, 8, 13, and 14.

Note also there are some parts with a 1 and a "Only" written above it - the 1 refers to option/configuration 1 as noted in the painting guide sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Yes, Victorian paint scheme refers to the black and white scheme. In short, yes, the Yellow Sea configuration will be accurate for some part of Mikasa's life when she wore the Victorian scheme.

Cowls are the ventilators next to the funnels on the secondary guns deck. They're the ones you add in Step 8 of your kit. Choose option 2 for Yellow Sea and earlier configuration, and Option 1 for Japan Sea.

Hasegawa did a pretty good job in highlighting the decision points throughout the 1/700 kit instructions - every time you see a choice, that's where the major differences are for Yellow Sea/Victorian versus Japan Sea configurations. It seems that they're consistent in making all Option 2 parts apply to the Yellow Sea/Victorian configuration - steps where these options are raised include Steps 2, 5, 8, 13, and 14.

Note also there are some parts with a 1 and a "Only" written above it - the 1 refers to option/configuration 1 as noted in the painting guide sheet.

Aha! SO basically in the Yellow Sea config the ship is totally OK to build as Victorian color. this makes me stupidly happy as FINALLY im gonna grow my collection to something I always wanted. Thank you for the low down.

My only wish was that Mikasa was moddable into sth like HMS Duncan or Canopus or Formidable - alas everywhere it seems its not possible. MIght be easier to buy cash the lower hull myself and buy me a ComBrig kit of some victorian era RN battleship. :S tempting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 am 

More questions on the Victorian colors as you model them in 1/700.

This is Hasegawas 1/350 interpretations that has masts in ochre color after platforms, funnels and hull in black (but gray color in pic, so I assume this scheme might be wrong).

I like this paint scheme - looks good if I replaced gray to black but leave all else unchanged. Any issues? Ochre masts are very cool but I dont see this in your notes so let me know if its OK to do ochre or this is totally wrong historically.

Here is my source: http://www.wtj.com/store/index_paint_gu ... paint.html

Quote:
Predreadnought Ship Colors by Nationality Japan
Peacetime: Black hull, funnels and ventilators with white upperworks and turrets. Masts would be black or have black bases and ochre tops. One to three white I.D. bands around upper 1/3 of funnels.

Attachments:
12996_3.jpg
12996_3.jpg [ 92.78 KiB | Viewed 4740 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 am 

I think the black/white/ochre (buff) color scheme was pretty general throughout most navies in late 19th century/early 20th.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:54 am 

biggles2 wrote:
I think the black/white/ochre (buff) color scheme was pretty general throughout most navies in late 19th century/early 20th.
:wave_1:

So, Japan not exception and OK to paint Mikasa masts ochre?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next