The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 131  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:02 am 

Fitting that we start up this thread again today, 64 years after the loss of such a fine ship and her crew.

Edited:
Here's some of the original items we discussed previously:

* An in-box review of the Banner 1/350th kit I did for another site
* Distant photo of Arizona November 8th, 1941 in drydock.

This photo shows my partially complete superstructure; I attempted to ignore the crap-tacular bulkhead joints by simply covering over the whole thing and re-drilling the portholes. It works well if you cut whole strips of .010" or .020" styrene to the appropriate height and then cut segments as needed (this way all your bulkheads are the same height, so if you're a half mil too high it doesn't matter so much). With the .010" styene be careful how much liquid cement you use as it may cause it to soften and sag into the depressions you're covering up.

The above photo shows the difference between the actual waterline and where Banner/Trumpeter broke the hull into upper and lower pieces; their break was not meant to represent the waterline but was done for ease of molding.

Finally, two photos of Brian O'Conner's "As Sunk" model. Brian's book I believe is finished and due out.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Last edited by Tracy White on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about a list of all the Arizona kits available? Here's a few reviewed on this site:

[url=http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/bb/bb-39/700-hp/bb-39-hp.html]HP Models 1/700 Resin kit
Image[/url]

[url=http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/bb/bb-39/700-mh/bb-39-mh.html]Mini Hobbies 1/700 Plastic kit
Image[/url]

[url=http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/bb/bb-39/700-dr-bd/dragon-az.html] Dragon 1/700 Plastic kit
Image[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:51 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Fitting that we start up this thread again today, 64 years after the loss of such a fine ship and her crew.

Fitting too, that we have a new build to look over.

A fine looking build too! Almost makes me want to break out the old Tom's Modelworks Arizona and get back to work on it.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about a list of all the Arizona's in the gallery?

Roman Detyna

"Bulwark of he Navy" by Andy Elwood

Abram Joslin

Bernd Villhauer

Chris Plum

Charlie Patrick

Digilio Fernández

Joe Cano

Jim Chiu

Jeff Farr

Jim Fosdick

Jeff Herne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

More Az's:
Kelly Quirk

Louis Carabott

Michael Taylor

Paul S Cyr

Joe Rocha

Mark Deakin

Noel Carpio and Ping Malay

Captain Jerry Saucier

Tyler Recznik

Bai Fan

Charlie Patrick

Hanchang Kuo

Kim Kookjin

Dr György Pék

Marty Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:13 pm 

Seeing as I can't edit my last post...

Can someone post pictures of Tom's and GMM's arizona PE frets? I would like to see if the price difference is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:20 am 

Here you go Timmy :thumbs_up_1:

The GMM set

The Toms' set 1

The Toms' set 2

And the WEM set for good measure!

Cheers!! :wave_1:

*Edited by Tracy White* embedding images on other sites is bad form so I'm changing the links to the page the images were found on.. it gives the site owner a chance to sell the sets and make the money to pay for hosting. Additionally, you forgot some

The Flagship models set and the Lion Roar set (couldn't find a good link)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:36 am 

Thanks Sylvain! Looks like I'll be going with the GMM set...it has railings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:00 am 

Hi Timmy,

The Toms set also comes with railings but IMHO I think you will be better off with the GMM set. Instructions are easier to follow and it looks like there is more details to really make the model shine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:33 am 

Hi guys,
I seem to remember there was a main turrets resin replacement set (was it by Tom ?) for teh banner kit, as well as a Lion Roar P/E set that had P/E overlays for the orizzontali split bulkhead between casemates.

I do not seem to find them anymore, around. Do you know what happened of them ?

BTW What was the fix on the main turrets, (if there was one, maybe plastic glue fumes are getting to my memory).

ciao

Luca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:37 am 

Tom's did do a set but they weren't worth it.
Turrets were pulled from their 1921 kit which had a different configuration. They were also smaller than the barbette. White metal barrels were of dubious value; one of mine was short. looked like an incomplete cast. He did replace that when asked though. Neither set (Kit or Tom's) had the correct slope to the TOP of the turrets.

Easiest fix on the turrets is to add the side vents at the rear of the turret, you could do this with some .020" sheet styrene for the sides and some quarter round rod (maybe .040" if they have it... I'm not anywhere I can check.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:43 am 

Jon Ryckert wrote:
Hi, I'm starting to scratchbuild the Arizona in 1/192 scale and what i need to know is what where the types and sizes of the chocks, cleats, bollards , vents, pelorous and anchors used on this ship. Another question, was the practise loader right hand or left hand? Judging by quality, who would be the manufacturer that I should purchase them from? Any help would be appreciated.If you can think of anything I may have forgotten, please feel free to let me know. BTW, the time frame for the ship is Dec,41.

Thankyou, Jon Ryckert

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: DML USS ARIZONA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:06 am 

I have to admit something to you all. When I was asked to do the box art for DML for the ARIZONA I knew they wanted her at anchor on that fateful morning but I refused to do it. I felt it was much more important for someone to paint her more in her glory days instead of her aftermath for that fateful day.

I don't want to sound like a wimp but when I put the final brush stroke on and laid my brush down, I had tears in my eyes. Something very emotional about doing to one piece of art. It hangs in my studio and I will never part with it as I felt I put a part of myself into it.

Anyway just thought I would get that off my chest.

Good for the soul

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:25 am 

Hey Mike, Your artwork are masterpieces!!! And people who can create these beautiful masterpieces must be a good soul.

Keep those masterpiece coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:54 pm 

Hi All,

I just received the Dragon Premium Edition of the USS Arizona from Squadron. From what the box contains, it looks to be a pretty good kit with all the bells and whistles tossed in for good measure. In addition to the PE set with chain they have also included a set of brass main gun barrels. The decals are by Cartograf and look just as nice as the rest of the contents.

Anyone out there have any comments, look out fors, gotchas, or other suggestions? From all the listings in here from the gallery, it would appear to be a fairly popular subject. I have been looking for pictures for references, most of them are either from the early "Birdcage Mast" days or from the aftermath. Any suggestions as to any good reference books available? This will be held in the stash for a while, still in the midst of the IJN harbor project and will be finishing that before I turn to on anything else. Plenty of time for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 am 

Due to the build up for war, photographs of warships were discouraged so we have very few photos of Arizona in the time before Pearl Harbor. What I did was buy Paul Stillwell's "Battleship Arizona," which is the best source out there, and look at her through history and in teh aftermath... you could sort of see the progression of changes and therefor make out what details there were. There is no conciise book with photos of her in the days immediately before the attack, and there is still controversy over things like her paint.

You'd actually do well to set her on the backburner for a bit.... more info will be available from good sources in a bit :)

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:44 am 

Thanks for the input Tracy. I looked through a few places on the front page of the site but didn't see Paul Stillwells' book listed, any clues as to where I might find one of those?

As I said before, this is going to sit in the stash for a while, so it isn't pressing too heavily at the moment. It is an excellent kit of a grand ship and I would like to do a good job on it.

Post subject: Stillwell's book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:12 pm 

treadhead1952 wrote:
Thanks for the input Tracy. I looked through a few places on the front page of the site but didn't see Paul Stillwells' book listed, any clues as to where I might find one of those?

I bought my copy of Stillwell's book on USS Arizona fom Amazon.co.uk just six months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:02 pm 

I found my way to the Naval Institute Press website and located Paul Stillwells' book there, a little spendy, but good references are still good, no matter the cost. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 pm 

Tread....does the new "premium"kit include a hull, or is it just another waterline-only offering?

I've been given conflicting information both ways...

Thanks!

:wave_1:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 131  Next