The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: At 'Em Arizona Fans!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:11 am 

Yep. That's the one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:42 pm 

It looks like a shrouded over-board discharge device to prevent soilage of the ship's side. Maybe for liquids of waste food?! Just an educated guess.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 am 

It could be a vent stack of some type. I'm not sure what type of gas it would be venting. Maybe a check of the plans showing what spaces are underneath it may give an idea of it's purpose.

Just a thought.

Franz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:39 am 

I'll be sure and do that Franz. If nothing shows up and can't verify what it is, I think I won't worry about it.
Thanks for all your replies or as we say here in the South, thanks ya'll.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:48 pm 

Larry,
Another look at the veggie locker base. Not sure what is going there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:48 pm 

Hey Jeff,
That's a great picture of the veggie locker, but unfortunately it must be prior to 1936. It does show that the pipe I was questioning wasn't there at that time.

Thanks.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:52 pm 

I'm lost can someone put an arrow or circle the area in question?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm 

prowannab wrote:
I'm lost can someone put an arrow or circle the area in question?

See my August 26 post above.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:55 am 

You have to be careful when comparing pictures of the ship from different time periods. The photo referenced at Navsource showing the stack was taken in Puget Sound Navy Yard in 1941. The arial photo was taken by a Navy derigible while president Hoover was on board in 1931. In one of those few instances where people were taking photos of each other from different locations I've uploaded a photo from the ship looking up at the derigible. Note the area in question (circled)does not have the stack which was added later.

This is why it's important to decide on what era or year you want to model. otherwise it's like hitting a moving target.

Hope this helps.

p.s.
The photo had to be cropped to meet the size limit so the dirigible is just visible in the top left of the picture.

Franz

Attachments:
File comment: photo from Arizona While President Hoover as on board in 1931
PresidentHooverOnArizonaIn1931cropped.png
PresidentHooverOnArizonaIn1931cropped.png [ 387.77 KiB | Viewed 1458 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:17 am 

Now that I look at the photo more closely I believe it is a blimp (no rigid internal structure).

Franz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am 

Franz,
I am scratch building the Arizona as she appeared in Dec '41, which is why I am asking the question about the pipe in the 1941 photo.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:19 am 

Larry,
I kind of figured that you were based on the photo you referenced. Now to really confuse things. I saw a lot of what looked like electrical conduits running up the tripod masts in earlier photos, but in post Pearl Harbor photos I did not see them. In your case I uploaded the best post Pearl Harbor photos I had showing the area in question and they do not show that pipe with cap at all. The cut off main post for the tripod mast is still there as are the remnants of the antenna wire trunks on the side. One photo is within days of the attack and the color photo is from the 50's. I always defer to these photos as they reflect how the ship actually looked on December 7th 1941. I'm betting the pipe was removed between the photo you referenced and those taken at Pearl after the attack.

Franz

Attachments:
File comment: Color Photo taken in 1950's
BB39_1950sColorImageCropped.jpg
BB39_1950sColorImageCropped.jpg [ 216.81 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]
File comment: Taken Within Days of the Attack
Screen_Shot_2018-06-05_at_9.29.01_PMCropped.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018-06-05_at_9.29.01_PMCropped.jpg [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 am 

The b&W photo may be a few years later, I'm not posative. I know the one in color is from the 50's. The point is that in both photos the antenna trunks on the side and the remnant of the tripod mast pole are still there. Why would they have just removed the one stack next to the tripod mast pole and leave all the others? That would have meant cutting it off below the water which they did not do with the others. The photo that had the stack was taken during a yard period. The stack may have been put in place temporarily for work going on within the ship. I remember similar things taking place on the WWII vintage light cruiser I served on during the mid 70's.

I stick by my assertion that it was removed at some point prior to the attack on December 7th.

Respectfully

Franz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:54 am 

To clarify I've posted an enhanced cropped picture of the area in question from the photo taken in January of 1941. The stack being discussed is clearly next to the main tripod pole and the antenna trunks can clearly be seen along the side. That stack doesn't even clear the boat deck so in my opinion they would not have even bothered cutting it during the salvage if it was still there on December 7th.

Note I used IrfanView64 to sharpen the image

Franz

Attachments:
File comment: Cropped view of photo taken in January of 1941
CloseUpOfArizonaJanuary1941.png
CloseUpOfArizonaJanuary1941.png [ 214.32 KiB | Viewed 1634 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:06 pm 

My final bit of proof that the pipe with cap is no longer there on December 7th. The photo shows the area in question within the yellow circle. The pipe in the 41 photo is circular. In this attached photo one side of that should have reflected light just like the main tripod mast pole. You can clearly see the corner as it is sharply demarked by the light area and the shaded area. You can even barely make out the two antenna posts. If that stack had still been there that completely shaded area in the circle would have shown something from the light hitting on the side.

The same situation in the second photo. Something should have shown up if it was present.
Franz

Attachments:
File comment: Photo prior to salvage taking place after the attack.
AfterAttackSternTripodMast.png
AfterAttackSternTripodMast.png [ 96.87 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]
File comment: On Side view prior to salvage.
ViewOfIntactTripodMastPostAttack.png
ViewOfIntactTripodMastPostAttack.png [ 42.6 KiB | Viewed 1613 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm 

lgmccauley wrote:
Hey Jeff,
That's a great picture of the veggie locker, but unfortunately it must be prior to 1936. It does show that the pipe I was questioning wasn't there at that time.

Thanks.

Larry

Sorry Larry, I wasn't commenting on the pipe you questioned. I'm still looking for evidence of the veggie locker winged bulkheads extending down to the deck that you asked about awhile back. This photo shows what appears to be the port side bulkhead on the backside extending down to the deck with a locker up against it.

Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm 

No problem Jeff. It's still a great picture.
I think I agree with Franz that the pipe was only temporary while she was in the yard.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:15 am 

Larry wrote:
Quote:
I think I agree with Franz that the pipe was only temporary while she was in the yard.

I will dispute that comment on the basis that the pipe in question looks very much like an air exhaust vent pipe from spaces below on BB-38. Whether it's an HVAC exhaust or not is debatable. However, a similar pipe on PENNSYLVANIA in her 1931 C&R plan shows up on the port side of the spud locker. Here is a clip of the plan showing the pipe on BB-38:
Attachment:
Main Deck Exh Sys 103.JPG
Main Deck Exh Sys 103.JPG [ 28.26 KiB | Viewed 1572 times ]

This set of drawings does not include a below decks plan for the after section of the 1st deck below the main deck so there is no telling what or where this pipe comes from or what Exhaust system #103 may have been. My guess would be that this is the same pipe as the one in question on this thread on ARIZONA. The pipe does not show up at all in any of the BB-39 plans that I've seen (BoGP).

Don't know if this helps or confuses, but it appears that both ships had a capped exhaust pipe relative to the spud locker in their post-30s rebuild.

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 am 

The vent you are talking about on BB-38 appears to be for spaces below. The one in question looks more like it's coming out of the upper part of the veggie locker wall, not from the deck below and like David says, it's in a different position.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:28 pm 

Question for Jeff Sharp: I plan on using your excellent build log as a template for my build. You referenced a Navy Promotional video that was done aboard the Arizona soon after her January 1941 refit. I was hoping you could provide information on how I might obtain a copy of this video.

Thanks.

Franz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 126  Next