The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: At 'Em Arizona Fans!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 pm 

DavidP wrote:
the angle of the stern in the way it sticks out is too steep as is the bow protruding in as the bow is a rambow so does not curve that way. look at this link & you'll see what I'm talking about. http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... 85-2_a.jpg

I just found that site today! Thank you for highlighting that though, I'm correcting it right now.

On a related note, is there a way to print those plans out to keep them scaled? I will need to use those when I create the superstructure.

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:13 pm 

probably depends on what drawing program(s) you are using if it allow jpeg or pdf import to be printed out. me I just print them out on 8.5"x 14" legal paper & work out the scale of the size between the dimensions of the model I'm working on & the drawing. I've downloaded those drawings from that site & printed them out to correct Revell's 1/429 scale model of the Arizona for my Arizona kitbash thread in this link. viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165105

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 pm 

DavidP wrote:
probably depends on what drawing program(s) you are using if it allow jpeg or pdf import to be printed out. me I just print them out on 8.5"x 14" legal paper & work out the scale of the size between the dimensions of the model I'm working on & the drawing. I've downloaded those drawings from that site & printed them out to correct Revell's 1/429 scale model of the Arizona for my Arizona kitbash thread in this link. viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165105

That's easy enough. Thank you for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 pm 

harristotle:

Also, note that those big, octagonal plates port & starboard of the mainmast (the turbine access panels) were planked, not bare metal, in spite of what most kits and drawings show. Even in the booklet of general plans drawings it appears that they should be exposed, but the fact is that on the drawings they don't actually show all the planking lines, just hatch-in a hint of the planking around the edges of the deck. It saves a lot of drawing clutter, making hatches and other deck fittings easier to see - which in general terms is more important information to show on such drawings than an exact representation of the planking. But for a model representing the subject in-use, it's not what you'd actually see. The planking is not continuous strait across them, but has a "frame" around the perimeter of the hatches, so there is still some visual interest to be had.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:20 pm 

Wow, been a while since I've checked in on this thread. Lots of stuff going on!

Franz,

Thanks for your comments several pages ago on my build. All of my strake/plate work was just educated guessed based on some pictures of AZ and others. I'm happy with how they came out, although they may not be entirely accurate. And to answer your other question, I am still working on my 1/200 AZ, just going very slow and haven't documented much. I intend to get back on it soon. I have to finish it this yeas as my hobby room likely has to go away next year to make way for a nursery.

Sorry to everybody else for the old posts I'm about to drag up lol

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:27 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Yeah, 1935 at the latest.

Here are a couple of stills from film spliced together of the wreck. By this time, turret #3 guns had been turned to the starboard side and then removed. Only the sides of the turret remained. On the far left of this pic you can kind of see what is left of turret #3. If the guns were still there, they would be just out of the pic and they would be pointing towards the camera. Only one of the remaining sides is visible here with half of it in shadow..

Here is the whole view including USS West Virginia.

Not to keep beating the dead horse, but this picture does make Arizonas turret #3 and WeeVees #3&4 look to be similar colors. I know its a created image, but just an observation.

1:200 U.S.S. Arizona
1:350 U.S.S. Chicago SSN-721

Future Projects:
All of them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:46 pm 

SeanF wrote:
harristotle:

Also, note that those big, octagonal plates port & starboard of the mainmast (the turbine access panels) were planked, not bare metal, in spite of what most kits and drawings show. Even in the booklet of general plans drawings it appears that they should be exposed, but the fact is that on the drawings they don't actually show all the planking lines, just hatch-in a hint of the planking around the edges of the deck. It saves a lot of drawing clutter, making hatches and other deck fittings easier to see - which in general terms is more important information to show on such drawings than an exact representation of the planking. But for a model representing the subject in-use, it's not what you'd actually see. The planking is not continuous strait across them, but has a "frame" around the perimeter of the hatches, so there is still some visual interest to be had.

- Sean F.

I was looking at pictures on nav source today and see what you mean about them being flush with the deck. I'll remove that from my drawing. It's amazing how many really phenomenal builds on here that I've referenced have those portions of the deck raised and painted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm 

Here's the latest. Once I'm done with portholes, I'll move on to the detail set.

Attachments:
USS Arizona Hull Day 13 reduced.png
USS Arizona Hull Day 13 reduced.png [ 151.84 KiB | Viewed 3016 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 am 

Hey, that's looking good!

Those plates (or lack thereof) are sure to raise questions... model kits and drawings have included them for so long that almost everyone (except us sticklers) "know" they're supposed to be there. In fact, the Trumpeter 1/200 scale kit has the deck planking scribed over them, but also includes plates to glue on top of them - so modelers can have it either way!

Also, good on you for having the casemates open, not presented as rotating cylinders like most kits have done.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:26 am 

Hondaman117,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going even slower than you on my build. I'm still practicing how to make molds of good portholes to replace the elongated ones. I've done a few iterations and still trying to get a better result. I just need to practice a bit more.

Franz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:28 pm 

Here is a picture showing how the aircraft crane on the stern was used to raise the middle of the stern awning up a bit higher.

Pete

Attachments:
File comment: Crane Holding up awning.
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 5.57.46 PM_zpsklxk5zmq.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 5.57.46 PM_zpsklxk5zmq.png [ 349.17 KiB | Viewed 2949 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm 

SeanF wrote:
Hey, that's looking good!

Those plates (or lack thereof) are sure to raise questions... model kits and drawings have included them for so long that almost everyone (except us sticklers) "know" they're supposed to be there. In fact, the Trumpeter 1/200 scale kit has the deck planking scribed over them, but also includes plates to glue on top of them - so modelers can have it either way!

Also, good on you for having the casemates open, not presented as rotating cylinders like most kits have done.

- Sean F.

Sean, thank you! I'm happy to have the argument with people with photo reference lol I'm going for accuracy.

Ideally I'd have made little gun emplacements inside the casemates for wire to go into for gun barrels, but its just too small in there. Off the top of my head I think there's like 1.5mm clearance. I have holes designed in the back of the walls that will orient brass wire to the bow and stern as would have been normal running condition from what I understand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 pm 

Franz, you stated on the previous page "still looks like canvas was along the rails under the stern awning even though I can't find any post pictures showing it. It could have been blown off by the blast." well that picture of yours proofs that the rail canvas was never there as that stern awning is still there. remember that the main blast was upwards not outwards plus the 2 tripods & stack would have protected the canvas from the blast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 pm 

David,

You could very well be right, but I've seen shredded parts of the awning in post attack pictures.

If you give me an alternative to what I'm seeing I'd be more inclined to believe nothing was there.

If you look closely at the photo in question on page 112 none of the other awnings showing up in the photo have almost the same light color as the Arizona's stern awning below it running around the edge were the railing should be. You can clearly see the edge of the stern awning with a dark sliver just below it and then the same light color as the stern awning runing in the same pattern as the edge of the awning were the rails should be.

If there was nothing there it should all be darker below the edge of the awning.

Just what I'm seeing.

Franz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 am 

what would the purpose be for the rail canvas be as it would help trap the heat under the stern yawning defeating the whole purpose of creating a cool area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am 

Not sure if the interest in Paul Stillwell's book has died down, but if anyone is interested I came across it, for under $60 at:

The Book Depository : https://www.bookdepository.com/Battlesh ... 741&sr=1-2

Thrift Books: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/battleshi ... q=19748292

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm 

David,

Having served on Com 7th Fleet (USS Oklahoma City) for two years, putting the canvas along the rails would have been primarily for aesthetic purposes.

Flagships always wanted to put their best foot forward. To a lesser extent it would have kept blown spray to a minimum on windy days.

I think that's why the ladder going to the quarterdeck had canvas along the rails.

Franz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 pm 

FRAMSailor wrote:
Not sure if the interest in Paul Stillwell's book has died down, but if anyone is interested I came across it, for under $60 at:

The Book Depository : https://www.bookdepository.com/Battlesh ... 741&sr=1-2

Thrift Books: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/battleshi ... q=19748292

I just snagged one off of amazon for $53.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:21 pm 

Does anyone have any information on the 1.1 aft director platform? Did it have a railing or was there a splinter screen around it? There are very few 1941 pictures available and those that I have looked at, the platform is hidden behind the gun tub. The pictures I have seen of the Trumpeter model (Jeff's) they look like about 24" thick disks. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm 

lgmccauley wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the 1.1 aft director platform? Did it have a railing or was there a splinter screen around it? There are very few 1941 pictures available and those that I have looked at, the platform is hidden behind the gun tub. The pictures I have seen of the Trumpeter model (Jeff's) they look like about 24" thick disks. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Larry

No railing or splinter shield; the installation wasn't complete yet. Just a disk on top of a pole that looks way too thin.

- Sean F.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 131  Next