The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
Is the Trumpeter Littorio kit merely a re-box of the Trumpeter Vittorio Veneto kit? So any upgrades in Littorio's AA suite after Taranto wouldn't really be shown in the 1941 kit?

I'm asking this question to see whether if the Littorio 1941 kit can be built out of box and painted as 1940 if not a lot of backdating has to be done.

Main differences between twins are directors. You can see, that they are different in the kits.

Vittorio Veneto
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10147777z3/70/3

Littorio
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10155302z3/70/3

In general both are correct but some little modifications as AA armament, bridge's windows and wind deflectors can change in the time.

Which ship do you want? And what date?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am 

Giampiero wrote:
The painting is a historical error

The painting is bizarre and implausible.

Without buoys the two battleships cannot anchor closely. There are not torpedo nets etc.

By the way, Giampiero, Do you know the position of the ensing at anchor in the Regia Marina?

Mainmast, as Royal Navy and Spanish Navy (both at war), or stern (at peace). I think stern ever for the RM.

Last edited by mpgl62 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 am 

mpgl62 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. Muchas Gracias!

I haven't decided yet, but I am mulling/considering either painting my Littorio kit in either March 1942 colours (2nd Sirte battle camo) or maybe even a pre-Taranto 1940 raid paint scheme.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
mpgl62 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. Muchas Gracias!

I have decided yet, but I am mulling/considering either painting my Littorio kit in either March 1942 colours (2nd Sirte battle camo) or maybe even a pre-Taranto 1940 raid paint scheme.

Please check these pictures

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/LITTORIO__19__3__1941__TA___2__m.jpg

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/LITTORIO__19__3__1941__TA___5__m.jpg

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/LITTORIO__19__3__1941__TA___4__m.jpg

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/LITTORIO__19__3__1941__TA___6__m.jpg

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/LITTORIO__19__3__1941__TA___1__m.jpg

Check this site

http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/album-837-1.html

There are more beatiful pictures.

Note, that the extreme windows of admiral's bridge are delete and the bridge seems open. The compass bridge was open later. Also note the wind deflectors.

In this picture Littorio has lost the extreme windows in compass bridge
http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/1333557745.jpg

A unique characteristic of Littorio are the three fascist slogans in the tower ( forward, port and starboard)

Last edited by mpgl62 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 am 

some good fotos (and some error too) in various pages
http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/album-837-27.html
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:49 pm 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

mpgl62 wrote:
Giampiero wrote:
The painting is a historical error

The painting is bizarre and implausible.

Without buoys the two battleships cannot anchor closely. There are not torpedo nets etc.

By the way, Giampiero, Do you know the position of the ensing at anchor in the Regia Marina?

Mainmast, as Royal Navy and Spanish Navy (both at war), or stern (at peace). I think stern ever for the RM.

To bow the follow flag :

http://www.agenziabozzo.it/bandiere_ani ... a_jack.gif

and the ensign the mast tower stern
http://www.improntalaquila.org/wp-conte ... l-1942.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:39 am 

Giampiero wrote:

Thanks Giampiero.

I have a doubt because in this picture just before Punta Stilo "La bandiera di Combattimento" (combat flag) seems that it was in the stern. Some minutes before of weighing anchor.

Maybe was in some cabin under quarterdeck?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:29 am 

This might be the wrong place to post this, but I thought I'd take a shot anyways. Everyone's seen the pic of the Roma wreck's AA gun. Anyone know how much of the ship was found, or any other info?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:16 am 

Hello dear modellers. I'm going to start Trumpeter Roma build, but have some doubts about which book to buy as a reference. Need to decide between next two books: "The Littorio Class: Italy's Last and Largest Battleships 1937-1948" and "Warship Pictorial 37 RM Roma Reference Book". I understand that the first one is normal book with lot of text information and that the second one more like album with photos and drawings, but actually I need more visual references than history of the ship and so on. Could you please reccomend - which one of those two books contain more useful pictures, drawings and so on? Or may be anybody can reccomend anything else?

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:28 am 

I would suggest the first one, but I may be biased as I know one of the authors :heh:
I think both are useful references, with the first one you get a valuable book with a complete oversight of the whole class too and it should be as rich in images as the Warship Pictorial. If you need reference for Roma alone, and you aren't that interested about history and technology, then the Warship Pictorial should suit you fine.
I don't think I can recommed anything else as the only other reference avaiable are the old volumes from the Orizzonte Mare series, which I have; it's a very fine overall reference but it's out of print since the 70's and in Italian only :Mad_6:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 am 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:16 pm 

Hello Giampiero or any other expert here,

I can see your old post below about Littorio's deck stripes during Operation Vigorous in June 1942. I was wondering, what type of camouflage did Littorio have on her sides on superstructure during Vigorous? Was it the same camo she wore during the 2nd Battle of Sirte? Or the other camo she used in 1943 with more wavy stripes?

Giampiero wrote:
Scheme Stripes bow and stern Littorio

The Pe Littorio e Veneto in production

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:17 pm 

I also have more questions, this time about Roma- at her trials/commissioning in 1942, did she sport both the light grey paint scheme with the red and white deck stripes? Or was it just a plain deck? Just wanted to confirm if it's correctly to interpret what I saw in the picture description below.

If she had red stripes with a plain light grey hull, how long did she keep this scheme before she was painted in her final splinter camo paint scheme?

Thanks in advance.

Giampiero wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:15 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:

I can see your old post below about Littorio's deck stripes during Operation Vigorous in June 1942. I was wondering, what type of camouflage did Littorio have on her sides on superstructure during Vigorous? Was it the same camo she wore during the 2nd Battle of Sirte? Or the other camo she used in 1943 with more wavy stripes?

Giampiero wrote:

Hello

I think that she has the "later war" scheme.

It is possible, that stern (and bow) was white according a more clear version of th picture. But the sun is hight and picture has too much contrast.

http://ilterzonano.altervista.org/ilterzonano/Guerre/XX_secolo/2GM/marina_militare/img/Littorio2.jpg

A detail about the bridge. In 1942 she has lost the extreme windows of admiral and compas bridge. Early war, the extremes were enclosed but they were open in 1942 and later. I think without doors or bulkheads.

Last edited by mpgl62 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
I also have more questions, this time about Roma- at her trials/commissioning in 1942, did she sport both the light grey paint scheme with the red and white deck stripes? Or was it just a plain deck? Just wanted to confirm if it's correctly to interpret what I saw in the picture description below.

If she had red stripes with a plain light grey hull, how long did she keep this scheme before she was painted in her final splinter camo paint scheme?

Thanks in advance.

Giampiero wrote:

Acording the book of Bagnasco on late July 42 she has the three colors scheme and presumably the stripes.

In June 14 was the handover to the Navy. She was plain grey. I suppose that the stripes were painte in may 42 when she made tests at sea in civil hands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:37 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Haijun watcher wrote:

Giampiero wrote:

Hello

The camouflage during Operation Vigorous in June 1942. is with strips wavy hull and superstructure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:40 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Haijun watcher wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Giampiero wrote:

I used this design only to draw the scheme stripes .

Ciao Giampiero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:57 pm 

Grazie, Giampero.

Muchas Gracias, Mpgl62.

Thanks for the timely and informative responses! :thumbs_up_1:

Hopefully you'll be able to see my finished Trumpeter Littorio in the gallery soon enough when it's done...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:00 pm 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Haijun :thumbs_up_1: aspect the photo :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:37 pm 

I forgot who or where in this subject thread stated it, but the bollards on the Roma should all be painted black, concluding the ones on the bow where the aerial recognition stripes are?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next