The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 pm 

a year or two ago there was a guy called maxigeppo2 building a 1/200 roma, anybody know if he,s still around or where his build ended up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:49 pm 

i have a question on the bridge windows on the 3 vittorio veneto class ships,i thought roma was the only one to have none sloping windows.i have more than 1 pics of vittorio veneto showing straight windows.did she ever suffer damage that would have caused a rebuild of part of her bridge or are these pics wrong.this is the page pics are from http://www.modelli-navali.it/MM-Italian ... o1940.html these are the pics i am talking about.ImageImageImageImage middle pics show straight windows,top and bottom show slanted,the web page shows all pics are of vittorio veneto.the only one that all pics show slanting windows is the littorio???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 am 

first foto is vv, the second and third is roma, the last is littorio
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 am 

thanks peppe, i guess somehow a few of the pics got put in the wrong spot.it would be easy to do,you have to look very close to spot differances.
i was also looking at the boat handling cranes and cannot figure out how they swing,can,t see any swing moters or any rigging that could be used to swing the boom.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 pm 

i came across a model of roma, its in italian but it shows roma with red and white stripes on both bow and stern,was she ever in this confiquration.http://www.regianaveroma.org/NewFramehome.htm go to archivio then modellisme then first post. it looks like the guns fire also.cool looking model.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:16 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

russclark wrote:
i came across a model of roma, its in italian but it shows roma with red and white stripes on both bow and stern,was she ever in this confiquration.http://www.regianaveroma.org/NewFramehome.htm go to archivio then modellisme then first post. it looks like the guns fire also.cool looking model.

No, the stern stripes did not last after 1942. She retained the bow stripes only, in 1943. On the same site if you go to "archivio" and click on the other posts you will see other models of her without the quarterdeck stripes.

Cheers

Gilbert

Sources :
- Regia Marina, Italian Battleships of WW2, a pictorial history by Erminio Bagnasco and Mark Grossman
- Le Navi da battaglia classe "Littorio" 1937-1948 by Erminio Bagnasco and Augusto de Toro
- La mimetizzazione delle navi italiane 1940-1945

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am 

Gilbert wrote:
russclark wrote:

No, the stern stripes did not last after 1942. She retained the bow stripes only, in 1943. On the same site if you go to "archivio" and click on the other posts you will see other models of her without the quarterdeck stripes.

Cheers

Gilbert

Sources :
- Regia Marina, Italian Battleships of WW2, a pictorial history by Erminio Bagnasco and Mark Grossman
- Le Navi da battaglia classe "Littorio" 1937-1948 by Erminio Bagnasco and Augusto de Toro
- La mimetizzazione delle navi italiane 1940-1945
thanks for the info gilbert,do you know if roma ever had the stripes without the camouflage paint,i have very little info on her.have a book coming but it will not be in english but has lots of pics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:29 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi Russ,

I would recommend you to buy the book "Le Navi da Bataglia Classe 'Littorio' 1937-1948" by Erminio Bagnasco and Augusto de Toro. It's written in Italian but even if you can't read Italian, the book has a lot of very good pictures and drawings for all ships.
To answer your question, I think it is most unlikely Roma could have had the white and red stripes and no camo because, painting of both was done usually at the same time.
Besides, you have to consider the fact that Roma had her camo immediately after her commissioning in july 1942. Her uniform grey painting was there only during her trials period. All photos showing her in light grey don't show her deck but, in the book mentioned above, there is a beautiful model of her in 1/100 painted in light grey and without any red and white stripes.

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm 

hello gilbert ,i orderd the book your talking about and it arrived today,very nice :smallsmile: , if only i was italian. i am trying to find out all i can about hull plating on roma , was it riveted or welded on or a combination of both.any input apprecciated, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57 am 

help ,i cannot seem to find a clear pic of the red&white stripes on the bow of roma,does anyone know if thay stop at the paravane launchers or go back as far as the brakewater behind the first turrant. some show one way some the other.thanks :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 pm 

russclark wrote:
help ,i cannot seem to find a clear pic of the red&white stripes on the bow of roma,does anyone know if thay stop at the paravane launchers or go back as far as the brakewater behind the first turrant. some show one way some the other.thanks :smallsmile:

help needed ,been trying to fiqure out strips on roma,now i;m realy confused heres a pic showing stripes going back behind turrent 2 .someone must have an opinion on them,any imput at all would be helpfull. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi Russ,

I did not know this picture but there is no doubt they are stripes indeed :big_grin:

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:16 am 

Those are shadows cast by sailors and stanchions.
Look carefully at those "stripes" and the other shadows and notice that they start at the sailors' feet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Roberto wrote:
Those are shadows cast by sailors and stanchions.
Look carefully at those "stripes" and the other shadows and notice that they start at the sailors' feet.

Yes, you can see the sailors shadows on the red diagonal stripe but you can see a white diagonal stripe around the 152mm turret and a red diagonal stripe where the sailors stand. Moreover, the whole bottom of the picture appears white-ish due to damage on the film.

Gilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 am 

thanks guys,it seems to me the stripes on roma never stoped at the paravane launchers as did her 2 sisters.they either went back to the breakwater or farther. heres one more pic of the stripes stoping at the breakwater. if i model her after trials i will have to flip a coin as to where the stripes end, i will not pursue this subject anymore . heres one more pic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 am 

I will have to agreed that the forms are stripes and not shadows. Few things men build are not horizontal and vertical. If the shadow across the deck came from anything other than an angled crane arm, it would fall across the deck at the same angle as the man's shadow.

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 pm 

hi it's me again , i have three sets of plans all three show the catapult and aircraft crane on roma the same length as v.v and littorio. but in ermino bagansco,s book there is a drawing of all three on page 208 2nd pullout. that shows romas crane and catapult to be longer, a fare bit longer the crane upright seems to be the same length but the boom is longer. the book might tell but a cannot read italian .can anyone verify this,thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

russclark wrote:
hi it's me again , i have three sets of plans all three show the catapult and aircraft crane on roma the same length as v.v and littorio. but in ermino bagansco,s book there is a drawing of all three on page 208 2nd pullout. that shows romas crane and catapult to be longer, a fare bit longer the crane upright seems to be the same length but the boom is longer. the book might tell but a cannot read italian .can anyone verify this,thanks

Hi Russ,

I give you confirmation that aircraft catapult lenght is the same on the three ships. The difference you mention on page 208 2nd pullout is due to a slightly bigger scale used for Roma's profile.
If you go to page 128, first pullout, you will notice both catapults on Roma and Littorio are the same.

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:19 am 

Gilbert wrote:
russclark wrote:

Hi Russ,

I give you confirmation that aircraft catapult lenght is the same on the three ships. The difference you mention on page 208 2nd pullout is due to a slightly bigger scale used for Roma's profile.
If you go to page 128, first pullout, you will notice both catapults on Roma and Littorio are the same.

cheers

Gilbert
thanks gilbert i should have checked closer,every bodys drawings are a little differant and photos are very hard to fiqure out scale. thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm 

Can anybody guide me towards a good set of plans for the Roma. I have (2) 1/700 Delphis kits (one has some partially broken parts), and I want to combine both (along with PE) to build the best possible Roma I can. Any size plans will do, as long as they'll ship to the US. :thumbs_up_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 35  Next