The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 am 

Colours on that drawing are not accurate, only the pattern is. Dark colour is grigio scuro (medium grey) everywhere, light colour is giallo verde, a kind of light green, on the hull, and grigio cinerino chiaro, the standard light grey, on everything above decks. Decks themselves were lead grey.
I have no clue about the closest Tamiya paints, never used them for my RM projects. Same for Eduard's railings, but the second set has only inclined railings so it won't be of much use.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:24 pm 

Haijun watcher wrote:
just some dude wrote:

At the time of her loss, Roma had stripes on her bow, and only on her bow. The other two ships in the class no longer had any stripes at this time.

Okay. then why does Joe Simon's 1943 Vittorio Veneto have bow stripes?

Model Ships gallery link: Joe Simon's 1943 Vittorio Veneto

I just saw this. The splinter scheme I painted on the Vittorio was present from spring 1942 through fall 1943. I have three pictures of Vittorio's foredeck with the splinter scheme, one from June 42, one from November 1942 and spring 43. The bow stripes were there at least until November 42 so that is the timeframe I painted her in. The bow stripes overlapped the splinter scheme by at least 7 months. That was my justification, but I could have left them off and said it was April 43. It looked better to me with the stripes so take your pick on that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

Secondo wrote:
Colours on that drawing are not accurate, only the pattern is. Dark colour is grigio scuro (medium grey) everywhere, light colour is giallo verde, a kind of light green, on the hull, and grigio cinerino chiaro, the standard light grey, on everything above decks. Decks themselves were lead grey.
I have no clue about the closest Tamiya paints, never used them for my RM projects. Same for Eduard's railings, but the second set has only inclined railings so it won't be of much use.

Secondo,

Could one use Verde Scuro instead of Giallo Verde? Verde Scuro is one of the colours available at this Lifecolor set, which I discovered is apparently available at a local model store here in Vancouver.

Grigio Scuro and Grigio Cinerio Chiaro are also available with that set, as you can see in the link.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:39 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

For hull Humbrol 140 and Humbrol 90

Ciao
Giampiero

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 am 

Giampiero wrote:
For hull Humbrol 140 and Humbrol 90

Ciao
Giampiero

Grazie! Thanks!

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:20 pm 

quote="Giampiero"]For hull Humbrol 140 and Humbrol 90

Ciao
Giampiero[/quote]

That color(90) is not a little green?

Regards

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 pm 

It's more or less correct for the giallo verde, only used for "fishbone" schemes. The conversion table on "Italian Navy Camouflage 1940 - 1945" says it should be 3 parts Humbrol 90 and 1 part Humbrol 148, or Tamiya M8

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:53 pm 

Secondo wrote:
It's more or less correct for the giallo verde, only used for "fishbone" schemes. The conversion table on "Italian Navy Camouflage 1940 - 1945" says it should be 3 parts Humbrol 90 and 1 part Humbrol 148, or Tamiya M8

Ok, I was wrong. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:00 pm 

Hi,

Some Youtube videos related to Vittorio Veneto Class:

Il varo della supecorazzata Littorio

http://youtu.be/IM0JNPWK2LM

'Littorio' class Battelship in harbour, circa 1941

http://youtu.be/e3N58B1ZVx4

Best Regards,

Ricardo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm 

Gents,

Until what point/date in 1941 did Littorio retain the Tamiya XF-19/Sky Grey paint scheme pictured below in the Trumpeter Littorio 1941 kit's colour guide? Or is the colour guide wrong to begin with?

Most diagrams of her from 1941 seem to already show her in the 2nd scheme pictured below, which she wore at the 1st Battle of Sirte.

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 pm 

Assume Trumpeter's colour guide is wrong, for no RM ship ever had a red hull :heh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm 

Secondo wrote:
Assume Trumpeter's colour guide is wrong, for no RM ship ever had a red hull :heh:

Well my question focused on what date the Littorio changed from the light grey scheme to the dark grey and light green camouflage used at Sirte.

Did she even wear that overall light grey plain scheme on the hull, depicted in the Littorio Trumpeter kit paint guide, at all in 1941? Or is that more for earlier years?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

According to Regia Marina, Italian Battleships of World War Two, by Bagnasco and Grossman, Littorio and Fiume were the first major units of the Italian fleet to be camouflaged, in March 1941. So it would appear that at least all of the major units of the Italian Navy began 1941 in light gray. In case anyone is wondering about Veneto, she was camouflaged sometime during the summer of 1941. In spring of 1942 both Littorio and Veneto switched to their second camo scheme (light gray/dark gray).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:39 pm 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Haijun watcher wrote:
Gents,

Until what point/date in 1941 did Littorio retain the Tamiya XF-19/Sky Grey paint scheme pictured below in the Trumpeter Littorio 1941 kit's colour guide? Or is the colour guide wrong to begin with?

Most diagrams of her from 1941 seem to already show her in the 2nd scheme pictured below, which she wore at the 1st Battle of Sirte.

The Littorio Grey paint scheme from 1940 - to night of Taranto 11–12 November 1940 when it was damaged,

Marzo 1941 first scheme camouflage

Ciao
Giampiero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am 

Giampiero wrote:
The Littorio Grey paint scheme from 1940 - to night of Taranto 11–12 November 1940 when it was damaged,

Marzo 1941 first scheme camouflage

Ciao
Giampiero

Grazie and Thanks, Giampiero.

Still I am confused. If Littorio was in plain grey camouflage in 1940, then how come this painting below by a British artist Ivan Berryman shows Littorio and Vittorio Veneto as having a different camouflage in November 1940?

This painting below is supposed to depict both ships at Taranto, being attacked by British Royal Air Force Lockheed Hudson bombers, before the famous Taranto air raid by British carrier aircraft.

So this painter was wrong in depicting the ships this way?

*photo courtesy of Cranston Fine Arts site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:24 am 

Below is a link to a photograph of the Littorio showing her just after the attack on Taranto. Do you see any camouflage?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nave_ ... aranto.jpg

So the painting that you posted is incorrect.

By now, I think you should notice a trend here. Illustrations, whether they come from model companies, model builders, professional artists, books, guys on the internet, whatever, are not necessarily accurate. If you want to know what a ship actually looked like, stick to photographs of the real thing as much as possible. (Of course, even with photos there is the possibility that the photograph has been misidentified, or misdated, or ...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

The painting is a historical error

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 pm 

The artist wasn't there...
It's just a pretty picture NOT historical as most artist are not there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:56 pm 

Is the Trumpeter Littorio kit merely a re-box of the Trumpeter Vittorio Veneto kit? So any upgrades in Littorio's AA suite after Taranto wouldn't really be shown in the 1941 kit?

I'm asking this question to see whether if the Littorio 1941 kit can be built out of box and painted as 1940 if not a lot of backdating has to be done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 am 

If you go to the Hobby Search Plastic Model Store website, you can see photos of the sprues and instructions so that you can determine if the kits are identical. Of course, whether or not the kits themselves are accurate is another question.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155302

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10147777

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next