The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:44 pm 

While I was looking at the above color photo, does it appear the forward superstructure is not on center line but to port?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:17 pm 

I'm pretty sure the superstructure is centered. I think there are two things that make it look otherwise, and both can be confirmed in the subsequent black-and-white overhead shot:
The main thing is that up high you're seeing the crane that's only on the port side - its bulk blends in with the superstructure and makes it look lopsided to port. You're also seeing a splinter shield and extended platform at the midship deck level for open 5" mounts on the port side, whereas the starboard has enclosed mounts and open railings. Though the extra platform should make the port side look broader, I think the angle of the photo causes the darkness of shield and guns to look "bunched up" close to the tower, whereas the starboard side's openness and long continuity of clear wooden decking makes it look more open and spacious.
Now, there may also be some true asymmetrical features up in the tower, with directors and related platforms relevant to particular AA mounts. Again. look at Martin's overhead shot. Wyoming had quite the asymmetrical AA gun layout, and I'd expect training sailors on all those different types of weapons included the guys operating the directors and maintaining & calibrating them, and not just the gunners and loaders (Could be wrong... is classroom and simulator training adequate for AA director operators and maintenance crewmen?)

Sean F.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:57 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Jeff,

This seems to be the only other shot I have from the folder. The rest are photos of Arkansas.

Thanks for checking Martin! That pic has some amazing details at higher rez. Thanks for sharing it.

Do I see 3 colors on her starboard side hull here? Here mid section aft of the funnel all the way to the main mast looks to be a different color than the 5-N on the rest of the hull.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... C_1942.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 pm 

Be careful, I think there are some shadows in play here. Look at the overhead shot Martin posted and see that the "shades" in this area isn't visible. Plus, the overhead shot seems to show places that had been touched up. Also, look at the other quarter stern view with this image on Navsource, this same area looks "lighter" than the aft section of the hull.

Something to note in the overhead image Martin posted, she has a twin 40-mm mount installed alongside the bridge. This is one of the first (maybe the first) such mount installed onboard an USN ship. The first twin 40-mm mounts installed on destroyers was on 1 July 1942, on USS COGHLAN (DD-606). Likely installing this mount was why USS WYOMING was in Norfolk Navy Yard in May-June 1942.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:22 pm 

Yeah, I see what you mean with the overhead shot. In this shot it almost looks like they are still in the process of painting the midsection in question. Looks like they have a scaffolding platform just forward of the accommodation ladder.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013243.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 pm 

Here is Wyoming in Oct.'41. She is wearing MS-12 with 5-S on her hull, 5-O on all masses above the hull, and 5-H on her forward mast fighting top. Also, unpainted teak decks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am 

Another great find. Almost looks like the amidship splinter shields haven't been installed around the AA guns yet.

Anyone have a definitive list of her armament in June '42, other than the six 12" guns?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm 

Looking at that image again, I notice the bank of canvas covered .50’s. Must be the timeline this image was taken-

Attachment:
BF7089F6-7739-497D-BA5D-92D50F706C88.jpeg
BF7089F6-7739-497D-BA5D-92D50F706C88.jpeg [ 137.82 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

When I get home from work, I will go through my books as I want to say one of them had a mention of her armaments.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:12 pm 

Speaking of .50’s
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/vide ... /180289006