The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 am 

One ship that has always held a special interest for me is USS Maine BB10.
Its sisters Missouri (bb11) and Ohio (bb12) are nearly Identical but with just enough difference to be noticeable if studied.
The hopes are to gather as much visual information as possible for the purpose of a scratch build. There are quite a few photos of this ship on the net, some are fantastic resolution.
Once plans are obtained (Maryland Silver Co.) an online build log will get started in the appropriate section.

I suppose an image might be a good place to start. The image is not entirely accurate but pleasant to view and a good likeness. The artwork is (imho) very well done.

Attachment:
BB10.jpg
BB10.jpg [ 70.24 KiB | Viewed 1394 times ]

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:23 am 

I'm not exactly sure how this thread should unfold,... I've looked through some of the others and it seems there is no specific avenue to take.

Off the top I'd like to say, I'm certainly no expert/self proclaimed expert regarding USS Maine or any ship for that matter. With the disclaimer out of the way I'll put up all that I have gathered so far, and hope others have more info, or see things that I do not.

The first thing I looked for when the research started was distinctions between the ships of class so that photos could be categorized, and the build modified from the plans if needed. Part of the problem encountered were many photos labeled incorrectly. I believe I found constants throughout each ships life span that an accurate identification is possible of nearly all photos.
From a view that has even vague bow detail the three ships of class have distinct differences. Namely, the hawse pipes for the anchor chain and the bow ornament. In bow views where the scrollwork/ornament are absent, the hawse pipes remain constant. Maine & Ohio have similar pipes and not easily distinguished depending on view. At that point I needed another reference. Another constant but also difficult to always judge correctly is the diameter of the funnels, Maine's being slightly larger. Another easy to spot difference was needed.
I was so pleased it presented its self without too much pain. Much like "looking for Waldo" (I was never very good at).
The "steam pipes" (What I call them) that are parallel and attached to the funnels remain the same through Maine and Ohio"s life span. Missouri's change slightly (as best I can tell twice) But only Maine carries a pair on the fore side of the fore funnel. (say that ten times really fast) :)
These are a constant difference between Maine and Ohio from as built - cage mast.

This is USS Maine BB10, note the "steam pipes", bow ornament, hawse pipe shape, location on hull and orientation to each other.
Attachment:
BB10 Maine photo 1.jpg
BB10 Maine photo 1.jpg [ 119.49 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]

This is USS Ohio BB 12.
Attachment:
USS Ohio forum pic 1.jpg
USS Ohio forum pic 1.jpg [ 118.89 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]

And USS Missouri BB 11
Attachment:
BB 11 USS Missouri forum pic 1.jpg
BB 11 USS Missouri forum pic 1.jpg [ 138.18 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]

There seems to be some minor differences with the stern. Views from aft perspective being few, there is no way to say any differences noticed are constant or development changes. I should note as well it appears as though Ohio's funnels are shorter than Maine or Missouri. Still unknown if it is a constant, as well super structure/fire control/mast.

There are quite a few photographs available without hours of search. However there is but a handful showing good on board detail. My thoughts are Ohio and Maine probably have a myriad of small differences. The plan set available from Maryland Silver Co. is for Ohio, so I guess "finding Waldo" will become my new past time. :shipcaptain:

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm 

I've recently received the Samek Missouri and Maine kits (will be backdating them to Great White Fleet fit), and I notice they have the midship deck unplanked. I also see this on their Mississippi and Idaho kits. I've been looking at all the shots on Navsource and can't tell if this is correct or not. I would expect wood planking on such a large area. Does anyone here kow anything definitive about this matter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:15 pm 

Has anyone built the Ironshipwrights USS Ohio (BB12)? I am interested to know the overall quality of the kit.

My grandfather served aboard the USS Maine in WWI. My thought is to convert the Ohio kit to the Maine. Hopefully, I can find enough references to make a reasonably accurate model. The only photos I have are those available on Navsource.org. Any direction to additional photos would be appreciated.

One of the pictures I have is of the 1918 USS Maine football team. My grandfather, Henry Fincher, is the player on the far right of the second row. He is looking off to the left. Image

Thanks,

Don