The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:31 am 

In case anyone missed it in the Upcoming Releases thread, Trumpeter will be releasing a 1/700 1907 Dreadnought later this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 am 

Is anyone building 1/700 Trumpeter Dreadnought? I'm almost finished and would like to compare notes with other modellers. The plastic seems to be the best that Trumpeter has molded yet, but the instructions are vague in places, and I find the PE brass is a little thick for 1/700 scale, and the smaller parts are difficult to fold correctly - especially the boat cradles on their platforms. Also, Trumpeter has given 12 searchlights, when according to instructions, 13 are needed, and there are a few other bits not used which leads me to believe there will be another Dreadnought in later fit. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
which leads me to believe there will be another Dreadnought in later fit. :wave_1:

Makes sense, since they're having three versions in 1/350.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Makes sense, since they're having three versions in 1/350.

Timmy, I know they have 1907 and 1915 in the bigger scale; what is the third you refer to?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm 

1918. Not released yet, but announced on Stevens' for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:20 pm 

Cheers Tim.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:27 pm 

Is there any word on the a wood deck for the 1/700 kit?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:41 pm 

Actually the plastic deck is well done with no disruptive joints. I airbrushed mine with Tamiya Wood Deck Tan, black oil wash, then lightly coloring individual planks with Crayola colored pencils - NOT CRAYONS! ( browns, tans, and white) for subtle tonal variations. Almost looks as nice a real wooden deck. Next time I will lighten the deck tan with a bit of white. PS; I also found the white colored pencil handy for selective highlighting. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:07 pm 

I got my kit yesterday, and I think I agree with you. It is way too nice to cover up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:49 am 

krgf15 wrote:
I got my kit yesterday, and I think I agree with you. It is way too nice to cover up.

When you come to folding the PE boat cradles on those skinny frames, I found it better to fold them before removing from the PE fret. The brass stock is thick and folding such little pieces is difficult. This minimizes distorting the platforms/frames. Although I was impressed with the molding and fit of the plastic parts, I found the brass too thick in gauge for 1/700 scale. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:32 pm 

Noted. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:58 am 

There's also some sort of discrepancy about 'floating boats' on the aft port superstructure in the instructions. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm 

If going 1/350 which one is preferred Trumpeter or Zvezda?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 am 

Location: Cologne / Germany, sometimes Poznan/ Poland and Chessington/ UK
Hi all,

Question about colour of the turret platform floors of the early fitting after commissioned (around 1907 / 1908)...

I know and see that most, but not all paint them in a darker grey, as well instruction tells this. But because I don't trust instruction since the crap Zvezda did with Varyag painting instruction so far and because some paint here this reddish brown linoleum colour completely or in the corner wings only, I become unsure what is now correct.
One reason I was told in the past why not reddish brown linoleum is nonsense ... high visibility against aircraft! Well, what serious aircraft threat in 1907? ;-)

So, was it really (and completely) dark grey / do good sources and books tell this ... or could it be that reddish brown linoleum was laid completely instead or in the corners wings?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:35 pm 

Felix C wrote:
If going 1/350 which one is preferred Trumpeter or Zvezda?

I have the Zvezda kit. Looks nice in the box. Haven't really done a deep dive into accuracy. I have read in other places that the barbettes on the Trumpeter kit are the wrong height, but I can't remember if that was too tall or too short.

Here are some builds of the Zvezda kit:

By Robert Apfelzweig: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-ra/

By Vladimir Makarychev: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-vm/

By Frank Aplin: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ght350-fa/

By Alain Personnic: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-ap/

By Symeon C. Konstantinopoulos : http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-sk/

By Phil Reeder: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-pr/

And here's a build up of the Trumpeter kit by Eleven Wong: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... ht-350-ew/

If you scroll through the WIP and Completed Model forums, there were a few other fellows building the Zvezda kit at one time.

HTH...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:25 pm 

Trumpeter's barbettes are too short. I noticed this when I compared it to the Zvezda, and they're quite noticeable, in my opinion, and it was the second thing that jumped out at me. (The first being the superior detail of the Trumpeter. It sent me checking the photos to see what was going on, and while I don't have any measurements for you, you can tell by eye that Zvezda is much more accurate. Kind of a shame, cause everything else looks good. Also, a head-scratcher, as Trumpeters turrets can't rotate, they will get hung up on the various deck fittings - so should have been caught in design, you'd have thought. From sprue shots, it doesn't seem they addressed it in any of the later kits and the same error also seems to carry over to the 700 scale kits. I'd think it'd be quite noticeable if you used a wooden deck, as the profile of the barbette would shrink even more.

That said, it appears Trumpeter got the reinforcing armor plate on the wing turrets right - the barbettes should be flat and parallel will the hull, along the ship's side, while Zvezda just has the barbette as a ring. Again, checking my photos I haven't seen any evidence of the Zvezda complete ring configuration, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has noticed or mentioned this error. If it was an initial configuration, and the extra plating was added later, I can't say, but haven't seen any pictures matching the Zvezda barbette. That said, all in all, the Trumpeter is the superior kit in detail and sharpness. Also enjoy the plastic much better, and of course, they have 3 different eras kitted.

Manfred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 pm 

I'm working on Trumpys 1/350 Dreadnought and the Barbettes seem too short. If I scale it from the 1/100 drawings in Roberts, it comes to 48" or 1/8" in scale. In photos it seems about waist height or around 32 or 34 inches in comparison to crew. So that would come close to 3/32" high. So assuming it was a government job I wouldn't be too far off if I split the difference at 5/64". Am I way off, or in the ballpark?

Kurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:31 pm 

Just ordered this - TRU05330 - Trumpeter 1:350 - HMS Dreadnought 1918.

Any detail sets available?

Any detail sets planned?

Cheers all

Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:38 am 

There have been many posts about the lack of detail sets for the Trumpeter 350 kit.
The only available detail sets are for the Zevezda kit, from Pontos and WEM.
Trying to build the Trump. kit using both and am sure, with a lot of patience and
inginuity, this can be achieved.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:07 am 

Thanks Tim, looks like the Pontos set then - just 'lerrrrrve' the brass mast sets they do!

I suppose looking at it logically, both Trump & Kve will have put most of the details in plastic, its just a case of identifying which PE parts to fit, the positions SHOULD be the same if the kits are reasonably true to prototype!

Have sourced deck set from Artwox as I like their product.

Got a Bismarck to finish first so no desperation to purchase PE set yet, who knows, may be one in the pipe-line???

Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next