The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59 am 

Jabb
Do not discount the WEM set either. I have both and intend to pick the best bits from the two.
Don't forget, too, that the PE included in the kit are for this particular model. The Artwox deck works really
well, too. Having used the Pontos mast sets on previous projects, they really are works of art and are perfect
if you are going to rig your ship.
Tim.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:05 am 

Eduard has PE sets for the Trumpeter Dreadnought, but for the 1907 version, so some stuff will be different for 1918.

Both WoodHunter and ArtWox have wood decks for the Trumpeter kit. ArtWox for the 1915 version and WoodHunter for 1907.

Master has barrels for both the main battery and the QF guns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:45 pm 

Thanks for assistance.

I'm assuming that the majority of the usual components that the PE parts replace are going to be in identical locations, hatch's, ladders, companionways, etc., shouldn't really move that far from their original positions! (Subject to usual research and investigation)

Artwox have released a specific deck set, AW10128, which I have just ordered (from Australia!) together with the barrel kit.

So - question - what would be the best reference books/materials to select, bear in mind this will be OOB + PE.

It's not going to bother me that an some lay expert reckons that the kit/model is completely wrong because the gigglegap is a scale 3 litres too short, or the angle of the foo-foo valve lies 11 light seconds too far to starboard. I'm pretty certain that sadly, very few people are around who have actually seen HMS Dreadnought!

Let me also say that that lay expert is an absolute necessity in this world, and if he wants to cut the front of his kit off because it IS too short, then he has my FULL admiration.
Honestly, without people like that where would all the previous knowledge of everything we have known now be!

Thanks in advance

Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:03 pm 

Jabberwock wrote:
Thanks for assistance.

I'm assuming that the majority of the usual components that the PE parts replace are going to be in identical locations, hatch's, ladders, companionways, etc., shouldn't really move that far from their original positions! (Subject to usual research and investigation)

Artwox have released a specific deck set, AW10128, which I have just ordered (from Australia!) together with the barrel kit.

So - question - what would be the best reference books/materials to select, bear in mind this will be OOB + PE.

It's not going to bother me that an some lay expert reckons that the kit/model is completely wrong because the gigglegap is a scale 3 litres too short, or the angle of the foo-foo valve lies 11 light seconds too far to starboard. I'm pretty certain that sadly, very few people are around who have actually seen HMS Dreadnought!

Let me also say that that lay expert is an absolute necessity in this world, and if he wants to cut the front of his kit off because it IS too short, then he has my FULL admiration.
Honestly, without people like that where would all the previous knowledge of everything we have known now be!

Thanks in advance

Jabb

Yeah, I think the majority of the difference is in the superstructure, like the area around the searchlight platforms and admirals cabin/walk. Otherwise the railing, coal scuttles, hatches, capstans, etc..should all be the same since Dreadnought wasn't that dramatically refitted before she was paid off and sold to the breakers in 1921.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:04 am 

Regarding the question re. best reference -" Anatomy of the Ship" The Battleship Dreadnought By John Roberts
is a must have. Contains much more info than you will need, but a great read and many photos.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:08 am 

Thanks Timhan, found a bargain on evilbuy!

Kit is here, looks pretty good. Most other stuff on the way. First Trumpeter I've purchased. Impressed by the 'one bag, one sprue' packaging.

Jabb

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:17 am 

Question for the experts.

I have now got the AOTS book, fantastic reference, and the Kagero book is on the way, managed to find a reasonably priced one eventually.

So, HMS Dreadnought in 1918 configuration, the anti-torpedo nets and paraphernalia had, by this time, been removed, as witnessed by many photographs, but the one detail that I cannot determine from either photo's or plans is, was the torpedo net shelf and the hull attachment points for the booms removed as well?

The problem is that the overhang of the shelf is quite small and does not show very well on any plans that I have seen (usually from 1907 anyway) and of course the majority of photographs tend to be from a similar eye-level to the shelf and, are from such a distance, that they do not show the area in sufficient detail. Likewise, the boom attachment points, the Pontos kit includes a highly detailed surround to these and if they were still extant as moulded on the Trumpeter hull, I would very much like to include them in the build.

Comments welcome

Cheers, Jabb

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:26 pm 

Having just broken open my Trumpeter Dreadnought 1918, I see that they've included a fair amount of PE - but there aren't enough railings for the whole ship. In particular, it appears that all of the railings were included EXCEPT for the ones around the main decks.

Which additional railing PE set would be best to address this shortcoming?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:25 am 

Hope someone can help here.

Having viewed a large number of pictures of this iconic warship, I am struggling to find a photo which gives me an idea as to the colour of the blast-bags (bloomers).

I have seen plenty of pics of contemporary ships showing shades at both ends of the spectrum.

Anyone any ideas, white, natural weathered canvas, light grey, medium or dark grey, black? I'm leaning towards natural canvas.

Also seeking details of the declination scales painted on 'A' and 'X' turrets in 1917. I have a very indistinct photograph. I 'think' that the numbers went from '1' at the front to '16' at the rear
Attachment:
Cuirasseacute Dreadnought-69.jpg
Cuirasseacute Dreadnought-69.jpg [ 196.63 KiB | Viewed 32880 times ]

And a photo of HMAS Australia
Attachment:
WNBR_12-45_mk10_Australia_top_pic.jpg
WNBR_12-45_mk10_Australia_top_pic.jpg [ 79.06 KiB | Viewed 32880 times ]

Would they have been similar?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Jabb.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm 

I'm building the Trumpeter 1/700 Dreadnought 1915 and have run into a mild issue: the kit configuration calls for 27 of the 12-pounder guns, but the Master Model brass barrel set only comes with 26. Is there any historical excuse to omit one of the 12-pdrs from the kit while retaining the (presumably accurate) historical appearance of the rest of the kit?

For reference, here are the instructions for the kit showing where they have the 12-pdrs placed: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10316148/70/1

4 on the forecastle
8 on the turrets (A turret not fitted with them)
10 in the main secondary gun deck
2 on the conning tower deck
3 at the stern

Edit: as it turns out, John Roberts in AOTS Dreadnought apparently indicates the two A turret 12-pdrs were moved to the stern quarterdeck, where they were joined by two 6-pdr HA guns. The kit includes one different gun for the quarter deck, presumably one of the 6-pdrs. It seems an alternative for me would be to modify one of the kit's 12-pdrs to resemble the 6-pdr - now if only I knew where exactly it was placed...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 pm 

Okay, but which ones are the 12-pdrs and which are the 6-pdrs? Assuming equal distribution, would the 6-pdrs be the centre two, or the outer two? Would also appreciate any source you may have on the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:48 am 

So faced with a choice between the Trumpeter and Zvedza “Dreadnought” kits in 1:350, and assuming one were going to use aftermarket detail sets such as the Pontos deck and White Ensign PE, which would be the better choice? My modeling skills are fair to middling (I mostly do WWI aeroplanes, scratchbuilding about 20% of the detail stuff) and I’d probably be removing a lot of the kit details anyway.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:32 am 

Suvoroff wrote:
Does anyone have a feel for how extensive a conversion would be necessary for a Bellerophon class battleship? Historic as the Dreadnought is, the two heavy masts of the Bellerophon class made a much more impressive profile.

The dimensions are almost identical.

You would need to move the foremast forward of the fore funnel and add a second mast forward of the after funnel.

You would need to produce 4" guns instead of the 12 pounders.

Yours,
James D. Gray

Dear Boys & Girls, have any documented conversions to a Bellerophon class ship in 1/350 surfaced in the interim?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:43 pm 

Would this be the right thread to talk about Bellerophon and St Vincent class battleships? Or should they get their own CASF thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:16 pm 

Does the red or gray anti fouling color debate apply to 1907, or does that begin with the 1920s RN? Also, as I interpret the Dreadnought AOTS book corticene was not used on any external decking, the Admiral’s walk and superstructure upper decks were just painted steel. Am I correct in thinking this? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:11 am 

kurt wrote:
Does the red or gray anti fouling color debate apply to 1907, or does that begin with the 1920s RN? ...

The RN's various anti fouling colours go back to pre-WW1. However in the case of Dreadnought I know from the records that her bottom was coated in a red anti fouling paint during 1912, 1913 and 1914. Although the colour is not recorded for her earlier coatings, exactly the same type of paint from the same maker was used. I therefore strongly suspect that her bottom was red from 1906 onwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:12 pm 

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:12 pm 

dick wrote:
The RN's various anti fouling colours go back to pre-WW1. However in the case of Dreadnought I know from the records that her bottom was coated in a red anti fouling paint during 1912, 1913 and 1914. Although the colour is not recorded for her earlier coatings, exactly the same type of paint from the same maker was used. I therefore strongly suspect that her bottom was red from 1906 onwards.

Thanks for sharing dick, much appreciated as always.

You are likely the best man to ask... So my question is what would her steel deck colours have been as completed in 1906/07?

I assume her vertical sides at that time were in August 1902 - November 1914 Dark grey:
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/royal-navy/products/colourcoats-narn03-august-1902-november-1914-dark-grey-507

Was there a corresponding deck grey colour that was darker than this again? Or have you any general thoughts or comments on RN Steel Deck colours of this era? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am 

Mr. Church wrote:
... So my question is what would her steel deck colours have been as completed in 1906/07?

Sorry, this aspect of pre WW1 goings on is not something I have researched.

Mr. Church wrote:
I assume her vertical sides at that time were in August 1902 - November 1914 Dark grey:
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/royal-navy/products/colourcoats-narn03-august-1902-november-1914-dark-grey-507

I would guess so, but sometime pre WW1 an even darker grey ("507A") was introduced. I have not yet pinned down the exact year it came in but I don't think it was earlier than 1907. It was certainly in use by 1913. Again, not having researched this era properly I would not like to say whether or not this 507A was used for ships' vertical surfaces or for some other purpose.

Mr. Church wrote:
Was there a corresponding deck grey colour that was darker than this again? Or have you any general thoughts or comments on RN Steel Deck colours of this era? Thanks.

Sorry, as above I'm afraid! Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this era will chip in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:42 pm 

Thanks dick. I understand. It is not my primary era of interest either, hence the questions.

I recently (impulse?) bought a Revell / Zvezda tooling 1/350 Dreadnought kit and a detail set and intend to depict her as she appeared in 1906/07.

Still, knowing that the lower hull colour was red is a big help though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next