The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 pm 

Excellent point, Chuck. However, looks closely at pic #s 2 & 4. There appear to be closed over scuttles - it is possible that the Fujimi modeler closed them off. It would make no sense to have 2 hull molds in 1/350.

This also goes to your Takao question on scuttles. The official Aoshima shot has the scuttles closed off but Gernot confirmed that the late war kits have open scuttles. Gotta close 'em off yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:06 pm 

I just ordered the 38' MYCO plans from Pac Front. Like you said, it shouldn't be too different and I do have the Warship Pictorial on the Kongo's as well.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 am 

Hi, I looked unsuccessfully on the web for refs so let me ask here: was the entire secondary battery removed from Kongo? I ask because at Leyte she fired several thousand 6" projectiles, and apparently still had 8 casemated weapons, as did Haruna. So I think that perhaps Fujimi merely have not completed the molds or something?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am 

I doubt it. If Fujimi intends to fit secondary armament, then there should be open holes where the casemates were going to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:40 pm 

Well, I had but a moment to look at my two aforementioned sources. The BB bible actually has as entire page (P.215) devoted to charting the changes in the secondary armaments. But, of course, it's in Japanese, and the column devoted to the 15cm is further divided into 3 subcategories with headings that I can't decipher, so I cross-referenced it against the plan views.

Basically, 1941 versions of Kongo and Haruna had 16 (or is it 14 - great, now I can't remember) 15cm mounts (remember that the forwardmost mount in all 4 ships was removed in the mid 1930s - too wet forward), then the table skips to Feb 1944 - 8 mounts each, Oct, 1-944 - 8 mounts each, then Haruna 1945 with no mounts.

The new Model Art Guide shows a 1942 Kongo with 8 mounts.

I think the modeler just closed off the casemates, along with the scuttles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 am 

Dan K wrote:
Well, I had but a moment to look at my two aforementioned sources. The BB bible actually has as entire page (P.215) devoted to charting the changes in the secondary armaments. But, of course, it's in Japanese, and the column devoted to the 15cm is further divided into 3 subcategories with headings that I can't decipher, so I cross-referenced it against the plan views.

Basically, 1941 versions of Kongo and Haruna had 16 (or is it 14 - great, now I can't remember) 15cm mounts (remember that the forwardmost mount in all 4 ships was removed in the mid 1930s - too wet forward), then the table skips to Feb 1944 - 8 mounts each, Oct, 1-944 - 8 mounts each, then Haruna 1945 with no mounts.

The new Model Art Guide shows a 1942 Kongo with 8 mounts.

I think the modeler just closed off the casemates, along with the scuttles.

Hi Dan,

I agree, Kongo would have had 8 mounts at the time of her sinking. Haruna in 1945, that will make a nice anti-aircraft diorama!

What is the BB Bible you are referring to here? I havne't heard of a book by Ishibashi....

Regards, Gernot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:28 am 

A new, very expensive tome. Easier to have you read this link than explain :-): http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=4917.0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 am 

Thanks Dan, much appreciated. Print run of only 500, hmmmm, maybe difficult to find at Maruzen and Kinokuniya. Regardless, I will give it a try. It helps me everytime I can get a reference that lets me get rid of several other lesser references. Price seems very reasonable, considering the size and content. It's not easy to find academic books under 10000 JPY in softcover, nevermind hard cover bindings made to last. Sounds exquisite!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 am 

If I buy this book, then I will have to forgo Hasagawa's 1/350 Akagi. Decisions, decisions....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:24 am 

Quote:
If I buy this book, then I will have to forgo Hasagawa's 1/350 Akagi. Decisions, decisions....

Scrap the book idea! Now say after me, A_K_A_G_I

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:58 am 

i buy my copy at amazon.jp arrived in italy in two days with courier (more 3700 yen) but .....you have to see the book!
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:19 am 

They srill seem to be available on HLJ and Amazon Japan. I'm pretty sure they increased the print run

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 pm 

I assume the book is in Japanese? Besides the pictures, does the book offer anything for those completely devoid of any Japanese reading skills?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:12 pm 

There are some subtitles on the tables in English. But, yes, mostly Japanese. Most of the tables are fairly self-evident though. I would't discount the the draings - plenty of internal arrangements as well - machinery, armor, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 am 

Check out Dragon's site for pics of the assembled Fujimi Kongo model and kit components. Release is noted as April '08.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:28 pm 

I noticed 6" guns, missing from photos from 2 weeks ago have been added in the latest photos. I also noticed that in the picture of the spures, each half of the hull is molded with only 3 open casemate positions. As it is, such a hull mold would not be adoptable to early war configuration. The fact that pictures from 2 weeks ago shows not a trace of any casemate opening, but those just released show 3, and the fact that more casemate opening would be needed to depict other ships or eras, suggests to me hulls molds have movable/detachable parts to allow it to create different hull/casemate configurations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 am 

They must be following this forum :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:44 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Fujimi’s Kongo sure looks nice pagoda structure and even the funnel grilles are spectacular. Shoot! now I feel as If I was between a sword and a wall :lol_pound: should I save to buy this one or should I wait to see what’s on the horizon this is the question. Al from ST told us to wait and be patient because there are going to be a lot goodies coming up I don’t know what to do now I think I’m going to start to flip coins from now on :lol_spit_1: . I love Kongo I'd love to have her too but before her I’d rather buy Hiei or even Fuso ( which I’m pretty sure it’ll be released eventually ) I’m going to wait I want to see which company either Fujimi or Aoshima breaks the shell of the egg, which one takes the whole thing to another level. Sorry for all this crying guys but I had to do it any comments are appreciate it, you guys might give me better ideas.

I found these pics at Hobby Search for those who haven’t seen it yet:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10068739

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:59 pm 

Wasn't Aoshima also going to release a 1/350 Kongo?

Yeah, I would have preferred a Hiei or Kirishima as well.

Fuso and Yamashiro would be nice, Ise or Hyuga in the semi-battleship configuration would probably sell better, thou.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:14 am 
I see that the new Fujimi 1/350 Kongo (or 'Kongou' as they seem to have taken to spelling it) is now available for pre-order:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10068739

15,675 yen, expected 'mid-April'.

You'll find there some more pics, including fret shots, and additional info:

"The first edition of this model comes with the special features of brass main gun barrels, all 8 of them, and figures of the Imperial Japanese Navy crews, all 350 of them!!"

The "figures of the Imperial Japanese Navy crews" are apparently injected plactic, 70 to a fret (so if you really get all 350, that would be 5 frets, although I only see 2 frets, making 140 figures, in the overall fret shots). I see there are also 3 clear frets. 2, I believe, are mostly seaplanes (you can see an assembled clear seaplane in one of the pics, a Pete, I believe). Brass barrels, but no photo-etch - I assume that will come later, and probably cost a fair bit. Still around $150 plus shipping for a new-tool 1/350 battleship with brass barrels and figures doesn't seem too out of line (although it will probably go for well over $200, perhaps nearer $250 by the time it reaches North American hobby shops). I hope the figures are actually useable - would make a change from 2D etched crew, although painting them will be a challenge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next