The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:13 am 

Dan K wrote:
The revised version has all the bits that were originally molded to the deck off and molded separately. Much easier to work with, particularly for painting the main deck. Some AA has been upgraded in terms of fidelity as well.

Yeah, dedicated PE parts are a bit sparse. WEM made a limited edition run of PE for Kirishima; probably very hard to find.

Aoshima's Kongo railings should work as both ships were the closest to each other in terms of appearance among the sisters: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10070299/10/0

It's possible that the Fujimi parts might work as well. Otherwise, you'll need to use generic IJN PE sets.

Thanks Dan.. your information is very helpfull.. :big_grin:
Im reading in the forum that many other modellers prefer Fujimi than Aoshima one.. wondering which one is better... also kind hard to find build log for Aoshima Kirishima..

Dennis
--------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:53 pm 

Well, I have the Aoshima retake version of Kirishima in my stash. I just haven't gotten around to building it yet. :smallsmile:

There is this view of the two posted on ModelShipwrights; keep in mind that the modeler was working with the original version: http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules ... _id=133082

Personally, I favor the Aoshima over the Fujimi because of the latter's casemate shape issue, and I hate Fuujimi's deck planking. Of course, many others have a different opinion about their relative merits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:00 am 

Dan K wrote:
Well, I have the Aoshima retake version of Kirishima in my stash. I just haven't gotten around to building it yet. :smallsmile:

There is this view of the two posted on ModelShipwrights; keep in mind that the modeler was working with the original version: http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules ... _id=133082

Personally, I favor the Aoshima over the Fujimi because of the latter's casemate shape issue, and I hate Fuujimi's deck planking. Of course, many others have a different opinion about their relative merits.

Again.. thanks Dan.. :thumbs_up_1:

Dennis
-----------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 pm 

Those photos of the Kirishima and Kongō still do not show a downward slope of the front of the deck over the compass bridge.

The line of the roof is level, even if the roof slopes up from that line to the forward, port, and Starboard bulkheads of the compartment above the Compass Bridge.

Yet the PE has the forward area of the compass bridge bulkheads sloping down, where the ship has a line that is level with the rest of the port/starboard compass bridge bulkheads.

Edit:

The Gakken plans just reiterate this.

The floor might have sloped down to the edges, from the center, but the edge was a straight line, aft-forward.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 am 
I'm still on the fence about the slope. The last photo posted and highlighted by Greg may indicate that slope.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:20 am 

Dan K wrote:
Yeah, dedicated PE parts are a bit sparse. WEM made a limited edition run of PE for Kirishima; probably very hard to find.

WEMs set was called "Kongo Class Battleship", but seems most geared for Kongo herself. It's still available here. White Ensign's photo-etch range is now part of Rich Harden's Tom's Modelworks Empire.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm 

Guest wrote:
I'm still on the fence about the slope. The last photo posted and highlighted by Greg may indicate that slope.

Dan

What is going on here?

For some reason it will not allow me to comment on this. I think what you are seeing is a trick of perspective, though.

I would comment further, but I seem to get a "Blocked for spamming" whenever I mention anything further.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 am 

MatthewB wrote:
Guest wrote:

Dan

What is going on here?

For some reason it will not allow me to comment on this. I think what you are seeing is a trick of perspective, though.

I would comment further, but I seem to get a "Blocked for spamming" whenever I mention anything further.

MB

Thanks for your info Martin.. i'll go check it out..

Dennis
-------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 pm 

Dan K,

Do you know if the Fujimi new mold 1/700 Kongo 1944 kit has alternate parts that allows an earlier fit, such as a 1941 fit to be built?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:13 am 

Well, it's really a matter of deleting parts, more than anything else. Mostly radar and AA.

This is one of those cases where it may make more sense to buy the '41 kit. It comes with a new main deck that deletes all the extra ammo boxes, splinter shields, and additional equipment that is molded onto a '44 deck. Of course, if you are going to use a wooden deck, then maybe it won't matter as much, since everything should come off anyway. Fujimi did not mold a new hull, so you'll still have to drill out all the covered portholes. HTH.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:46 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Well, it's really a matter of deleting parts, more than anything else. Mostly radar and AA.

This is one of those cases where it may make more sense to buy the '41 kit. It comes with a new main deck that deletes all the extra ammo boxes, splinter shields, and additional equipment that is molded onto a '44 deck. Of course, if you are going to use a wooden deck, then maybe it won't matter as much, since everything should come off anyway. Fujimi did not mold a new hull, so you'll still have to drill out all the covered portholes. HTH.

Thanks Dan. Initially I was tempted to buy a 1/700 new tool Fujimi 1944 Kongo from someone here on this forum, but decided against it after what you said above. A 1941 kit would better suit what I want.

Speaking of the Kongo, do you know if the Hasegawa Easy-model version of the Kongo is 1941-42 or 1944 fit?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:41 pm 

Easy versions are by Fujimi, not Hasegawa, and it's 1944 fit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:00 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Easy versions are by Fujimi, not Hasegawa, and it's 1944 fit.

My mistake. And it doesn't seem like there's an Easy version of the Haruna in any fit, from what I can see in an Ebay search.

Other than Yamato and Musashi and an IJN DD set, most of the Fujimi Easy 1/700 kits I can find seem to be just the class leaders, such as Unryu, Takao, Taiho, Akagi, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:19 pm 

I think the selection a little broader than that, but nothing in your interest zone, from what I can see.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 pm 

Caravellarella wrote:
Dear Boys & Girls is there any way to convert these (any) Kongo class kits their original three-funnel configuration? Is a kit available, or a conversion kit?

Just wondering......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Who knew? - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163565

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 am 

Courtesy of Dan Kaplan, additional gallery entries posted to the first page.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: Re: MORE GALLERY ENTRIES
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:39 pm 

Also courtesy of Dan Kaplan, list of available Kongo-class kits posted to the first page.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 am 

Hi everybody! I create 3d models of battleships. I am looking for detailed drawings of JIN Kirishima (ideally from1942). Can anybody help? Here is a sample of my work - IJN Hiei.

Attachments:
IJNHieiCG.jpg
IJNHieiCG.jpg [ 191.57 KiB | Viewed 2629 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 pm 

Good photos of Kirishima in 1941/1942 are almost non-existent. You must rely on earlier photos; she wasn't changed that much.

The only decent one taken in 1942 that I am aware of is this:

Attachments:
Kirishima and tankers, Indian Ocean March, 1942, via Masayoshi Nagashima small.jpg
Kirishima and tankers, Indian Ocean March, 1942, via Masayoshi Nagashima small.jpg [ 148.07 KiB | Viewed 2603 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 pm 

ArturC wrote:
Hi everybody! I create 3d models of battleships. I am looking for detailed drawings of JIN Kirishima (ideally from1942). Can anybody help? Here is a sample of my work - IJN Hiei.

Nice looking Heie.

What platform do you work in?

I have yet to do any WWII work in 3D, but I've done various character design in Maya, and some straight-line work in a variety of applications (AutoCAD, ViaCAD, Maya, 3ds Max, ...).

I am working on a bridge for an HIJMS Naraga on AutoCAD, for 3D printing (because no one makes an Early-war Nagara that is halfway decent).

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 49  Next