The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
ArizonaBB39 wrote:
So who is going to contact Navsource and the Navy History page to tell them? :heh:

My vote is that Dick J should get the honors. After all, he was the one that raised the red flag in the first place.

Done on Navsource. NHHC always takes longer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 pm 

Awesome! Thanks Dick! Now, I would really like to know where Colorado actually was for that whole month she was supposed to be in this yard when these photos were taken. Also, this must have been Mary's initial application of MS-1 so it looks as though 5-D was being applied to ships as late as August. We also know that Utah was next to get MS-1 applied.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:51 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Done on Navsource. NHHC always takes longer.

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:38 pm 

Steve wrote:
Kit contents photos are posted on Trumpeter's site. Indications are bridge structure is different and boat deck has different splinter shield configuration compared to Tennessee model photos posted on Hobby Search. A better comparison can be made once this kit is available.

The California kit is on the way and delivery (from PF) is expected by mid next week. I will compare the contents to the Tennessee posted on Hobby Search.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:35 pm 

Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:
Kit contents photos are posted on Trumpeter's site. Indications are bridge structure is different and boat deck has different splinter shield configuration compared to Tennessee model photos posted on Hobby Search. A better comparison can be made once this kit is available.

The California kit is on the way and delivery (from PF) is expected by mid next week. I will compare the contents to the Tennessee posted on Hobby Search.

The kit arrived today and my initial impressions are as follows:

1. The contents continue to duplicate the other kits except for the single sprue that includes the boat deck and superstructure parts. These are significantly different than the Tennessee kit posted over on HS. The bridge mounted 3" AA are included, the Tennessee kit does not show these. The splinter shielding for the 5" mounts is smooth sided and continuous for the after three 5" mounts.

2. The large range finder is mounted on "B" turret.

3. The fore and after decks are the same as those in the Maryland kit.

4. The large radar (CAXM?) appears to be correctly positioned on the fore bridge.

5. The 5" splinter shielding in the kit is incorrect for PH. It should be outside braced. The Tennessee had smooth sided shielding (which is correctly shown on the Hobby Search model photos).

It appears this is a very good kit representing her at Pearl Harbor.

Steve G.

Last edited by Steve on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 am 

For those of you with the Pit Road Tennessee kit, is it just like the other Trumpeter kits as far as being water lined and including a lower hull and water line plate? Just curious before I order one. I just pre-ordered my California from Free Time Hobbies too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 am 

The Pit-Road kit is the same as the Trumpeter, so yes. But just to confirm, here's Hobby Search's scan of the parts: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10343291

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:21 am 

Timmy C wrote:
The Pit-Road kit is the same as the Trumpeter, so yes. But just to confirm, here's Hobby Search's scan of the parts: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10343291

Thanks Timmy, I can never seem to find Hobby Search's website when I want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:11 am 

This is supposed to be a picture of USS Maryland taken early 1941 showing a 1.1"/75 caliber AA gun. The Trumpeter model of 1/700 USS Maryland has a single 3″/50 caliber guns(?) on both sides, as you can see in the two red circles in the picture below.

Whats is going on here... maybe the picture is mislabeled as USS Maryland ?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am 

It's a Trumpeter kit. The quad 1.1" is correct.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:03 pm 

Tracy White wrote:

Tracy

All four Trumpeter kits of these ships in 1941 (as at PH I assume) have 3"AA in the quarterdeck mounts. There appears to be an option for 5" for the Tennessee but the instructions are in Japanese and this is not clear to me.

In addition to the Maryland did any of the other 3 carry 1.1"AA in the quarterdeck location?

The bridge mounts in the kits are mixed:

The Maryland has 1.1"
The California has 3"
The West Virginia probably has 3" (the kit has 5" parts indicated which must be an error).
The Tennessee (Pit Road version as on Hobby Search) has no bridge mounted 3" or 1.1" AA.

The Maryland kit is the only one with parts for 1.1" (and only for 2).

Do you have advice for these locations and is the Tennessee correct in not having any?

Steve G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm 

Steve wrote:
Tracy White wrote:

Tracy

All four Trumpeter kits of these ships in 1941 (as at PH I assume) have 3"AA in the quarterdeck mounts. There appears to be an option for 5" for the Tennessee but the instructions are in Japanese and this is not clear to me.

In addition to the Maryland did any of the other 3 carry 1.1"AA in the quarterdeck location?

The bridge mounts in the kits are mixed:

The Maryland has 1.1"
The California has 3"
The West Virginia probably has 3" (the kit has 5" parts indicated which must be an error).
The Tennessee (Pit Road version as on Hobby Search) has no bridge mounted 3" or 1.1" AA.

The Maryland kit is the only one with parts for 1.1" (and only for 2).

Do you have advice for these locations and is the Tennessee correct in not having any?

Steve G

All covered (including the Maryland's aft pair of 1.1 quads) just a page or two ago on this thread:
TN, CA, and WV: 3" in 4 locations
MD: 1.1" in 4 locations
As observed above, the TN kit lacks tubs in the forward superstructure; you'll need to add them.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:25 pm 

If you get one of the Five Star photo etch sets for Maryland or West Virginia it provides a direct brass replacement for the gun tubs in the superstructure to include the deck and splinter shields. I used that in my West Virginia build so I have the kit parts extra now to put on my Tennessee (if I don't use a brass replacement again, depends on what photo etch becomes available).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:44 am 

My Trumpeter 1/700 Tennessee is on order today based on PF posting the kit is now available. Trumpeter may have corrected for the missing bridge mounted 3" AA as the Pit Road version was corrected for the missing after deck 3" AA mounts. Will post info once kit arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 am 

Steve wrote:
My Trumpeter 1/700 Tennessee is on order today based on PF posting the kit is now available. Trumpeter may have corrected for the missing bridge mounted 3" AA as the Pit Road version was corrected for the missing after deck 3" AA mounts. Will post info once kit arrives.

The kit arrived yesterday and in true Trumpeter style the bridge 3" mounts and the after deck 3" are not shown in the instructions. However, the parts for the after deck mounts are included on common sprues H and V1. Step 8 does show the assembly of the bridge mounts but the parts (L35 & L37) are not included (superstructure sprue L is specific to the California).

Other observations include:

1. The deck parts are the same as for the California (actually Maryland parts).

2. Sprue J replaces Sprue L and is ship specific for the bridge and superstructure. All other sprues are the same as in the California kit.

While not a complete representation of the ship as at PH it can be modified by adding the 3" mounts provided the basic bridge platform does not need to be completely reworked. If anyone has details for this please post.

Steve G.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm 

I am looking into doing Maryland and Oklahoma at Pearl, post attack.
For Maryland I understand she was in 5-D with lt gray tops, turrets were T1 black, T2 black, T3 5D, and T4 in True Blue.
And she carried 4 x 1.1" mounts. A question I have is where were her hits located at, and did she have her floatplane on board (did they survive the attack if on board)?
Did she also have .50 MG, if so, where?

Thank you for any help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 pm 

DanCinSD wrote:
For Maryland I understand she was in 5-D with lt gray tops, turrets were T1 black, T2 black, T3 5D, and T4 in True Blue.
And she carried 4 x 1.1" mounts. A question I have is where were her hits located at, and did she have her floatplane on board (did they survive the attack if on board)?

Thank you for any help.

As for the colors and AA positions...I'm not sure.

For her damage..probably the best source is Maryland's after-action report filed on 15 December

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/shi ... Pearl.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:12 pm 

DanCinSD wrote:

Thank you for any help.

Your colors are correct. As far as I know she only had 4 .50s on the main mast on top of the fighting top. From pictures of during and after the attack I'm only seeing the main float for a float plane on turret 3, no actual aircraft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:17 pm 

DanCinSD wrote:
A question I have is where were her hits located at, and did she have her floatplane on board

Her action report doesn't mention damage to any of the Kingfishers while specifically mentioning one of the launches, so I suspect it was just the float and not the entire plane "Seven Seconds to Infamy" has a side view of her with hits. This is available in the December 1997 issue of the US Naval Institute's "Proceedings" magazine.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm 

There is a late '41 photo... which of course I can't find now... where you can see the top of both turrets 3 and 4, and they look to be the same color. It was enough to convince me that she had both aft turrets painted True Blue (at least in September 1941, or thereabouts).

- Sean F.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next