The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:51 pm 

Looks great Kym :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:34 pm 

:woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Superb Kym !!!

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jef :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

Abram,
I remember your astute observation and the plans have definately been ammended. I left those markings on there to remind me of my stupidity.

Dana M Bell,
Thanks for that info. I am still a little confused as it seems that West Virginia and the others of the divisions went through a number of recognition colour changes in 1940. The time period I'm after is the end of April, 1940, right at the completion of Fleet Problem XXI. The closest to that timeframe had the number 48 on turret 2, but things could have changed.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:44 pm 

Looking good so far, Kym! :thumbs_up_1:

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:49 pm 

Great looking work Kym! :thumbs_up_1:

Russ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:02 am 

I'm beginning work on the PitRoad West Virginia in 1/700. I'm planning to do her in her as sunk configuration including colors. I'm searching for some pre-attack shots besides what's readily available on line at the usual sources. I'm also interested in the turret top colors, I've bought into the 5B color for the battle line but I can't remember the turret top for WeeVee. I'm hoping to have her ready for VaB next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:12 am 

Bob,

This was posted in the AZ fans thread. You just need to determine which BatDiv the WeeVee was in:

Buzz1941 wrote:
Here is the text of Kimmel’s order -- it is his first US FLEET letter and is “No. 1 USL-41” dated March 24, 1941.

SUBJECT: Turret Markings for Identification by Own Aircraft

1. This letter replace U.S. Fleet Letter No. 13L-40, which letter is hereby cancelled, since colored tails for aircraft are being eliminated.

2. Battleships and cruisers shall paint the tops of any or all their forward turrets or enclosed mounts with the following colors for identification by their own aircraft. When stripes are involved, they shall be painted parallel to the axis of the guns.

BATTLESHIPS

Battleship Division ONE … Red (solid)
Battleship Division TWO … White (solid)
Battleship Division THREE … Blue (solid)
Battleship Division FOUR … Black (solid)
Battleship Division FIVE … Yellow (solid)

CRUISERS
>snipped to save space<

3. In addition, battleships and cruisers shall paint the top of their after turret or enclosed mount to correspond with the section their aircraft are in. The colors are red, white, blue, black, green and yellow for first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth sections respectively.

H.E. KIMMEL

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: USS Tennessee Book
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 am 

Squadron monthly circular has a new book titled the "USS Tennessee in World War II" by Clifton Simmons. Noted as illustrated with more than 200 photos and detailed drawings for $15.26.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 pm 
I'm building the ISW U.S.S. West Virginia in 1/350. After looking at pics at Navsource and Naval Historical Site, I see that there are some errors with the kit concerning the superstructures various levels. Does anyone have good scale drawings of the superstructure decks? I'll check Floating Drydock to see what they have but i'd hate to buy a whole set of plans for just that part if the kit. Thanks, Jon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:30 am 

you can find a good drawing in the book "warship series #1 west virginia" and in the polish book (1:400 - text in english) "colorado class battleship" ed okreti wojenne famous battleships 2
http://www.okretywojenne.pl/ow/katalog/?aid=8&ctid=52
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... &x=59&y=16
ciao peppe

Post subject: Turret replacement sets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 pm 

Are there any turret replacement sets made for Tennessee Cls. BB for a pre war fit.

]Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 am 

What scale?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 am 

My error it would be 1/700. I found 5"38 double & single mount,replacement s for
Carolina & Iowa class . But nothing earlier.

]Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 pm 

Ok.... cut me some slack :big_grin: I am a NEWSHIPMODELER

After seeing the 1/350th USS Calfornia model aboard the USS New Jersey this week, I've fallen for the ship. Now I realise it's part of a class of BB and their are a few models of it. Yankee modelworks is big money, and I'm always scared of resin until I know the quality.
I am perfectly happy spending less on a model if it's a great model...ie plastic + P/E. I also have discovered just how cool the Arizona was too. Two and a half days of exploring the websites,galleries, reviews, & googling everything.
So my question is this. At $326, is the YM Tennesse model the wise choice for a 1/350 kit of this class BB ? Or just the most $$$
Are their any other (smarter) choices I missing ?
Same goes for the Arizona. Who's making the most stunning version, verses the great version at half the price?
I'm trying to make the informed decision, but I also know their are experts in this hobby that know their subject well. (I know Porsche prototypes :big_grin: ) Any opinion would be helpful.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 pm 

Sad to say, there really aren't any choices in 1/350. Certainly there have been no injection-molded plastic kits of the Big 5 in 1/350. I'm not sure how many Resin versions there are, but naturally they are all $250+, perhaps cheaper on Ebay or other auction sites.

As for Arizona, none of the 350th kits are great. The only injection plastic is the Mini-hobby/Banner kit, which is basically the Revell 1/424ish kit scaled up. Tom's Modelworks also has one in Resin, but costs much more and isn't too much more accurate. More details on the Arizona kits can be found in the "At 'em Arizona Fans" thread.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:46 pm 
Newshipmodeler, you may want to check out Ironshipwrights line of resin kits. they pretty much carry the whole Pearl Harbor battleline and some of the same ships in their late war cinfiguration. Compare ISW to YMW and make your decision or you could always buy a set of plans from The Floating Drydock and scratch build your own. HTH, Jon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:36 am 

Following a link Tracy White posted of AZ elsewhere, I was looking at some Pearl Harbor photos from the LIFE collection. Thought I'd post some of them here.

Nice detail shot of California, being salvaged post 12/7/41 here. Couple of observations:

- The (very dark) color of California's superstructure seems to match that of the ship along her port side, which appears to be also painted Ms1.
- Looks like 3 inch AA guns in the tubs on either side of the fwd superstructure
- The lighter ID color on the top of turret 1 (should be white, IIRC).
- Look how young the sailor in the rear of the boat in the right of the picture is. He looks about 14!

This picture shows the MD alongside the overturned OK. Again, notice how dark MD looks. IIRC, MD had a slightly different forward superstructure than CA, but it seems that her 5D is carried higher up that structure than on CA. You can see her bulges clearly as well.

Another picture shows WV & TN, post attack, here. You can see 3 inch AA guns in the tubs by WV's aft cage mast. Also, I don't know if it's the light, but it appears in this photo that the WeeVee's color is lighter than CA & MD. Look at the gun barrels on turret 3 - the tone almost matches that of the overturned seaplane by turret four. Also, both the funnels and the boat crane that is swung out to port look lighter than 5D. I'm guessing it's just the light (not trying to start a food fight!), but it's interesting - to me - nonetheless.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:55 pm 

Hi Martin:

I can't remember if it was Steelnavy or here that someone said that WV had 5D hull, 5O bridge, funnels, turrets, and light gray upperworks. This picture makes you wonder?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 am 
I have a question,where did you buy that kit?I would like to know becuse i wish to purchase that item,please tell me.thank you for reading this

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:24 pm 
Where didyou buy this model?can you give me a link

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next