The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:33 pm 
Hello Nagato's fan,

I'm new in naval modelling and, by the way, on this forum: I usually build braille scale vehicles, but I'm in love with Nagato for some years and I finally decided to build one in 1/700.
I'm currently trying to find all the info necessary for the build, and find a huge part of it in this thread. I'm however stuck with aa 25 mm guns: I would like to represent Nagato during the battle of Philippine sea, and references are scarce and contradictory about that period. Many website mentionne that 68 were carried on Nagato at that time. I also read this info upper in the thread. it also appears that all single mounts were mounted after june 1944. Does this mean that Nagato already carried triple mounts on turrets, stem, etc during Philippine battle. Or is that 68 number misleading ? My main reference on the subject, AJ Press Nagato and Mutsu books, indicates that "22 aditional 25 mm machine guns" while staying in Singapore in Spring 1944, which give a total of 42 guns (vol. 2, p. 80). Vol 1, p. 42 also indicates that "twin sets of 25 mm anti aircraft guns" were installed in Kure the 31st of May 1943, along with the type 21 radar (is this date correct?). This latter report seems strange the only double mounts are the original ones fitted before the war. maybe a replacement of originals?
I am lost with all this contradictory information and I wonder if some of you may help me to clarify all this?
Aditionnally, I wonder when those bedrolls-like features where installed on the pagoda? Was it a common habits throughout the war?

I will be very gratefull for all information I can get, and will let you informed about my future build!

Best regards,

S. Biollay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 am 

Are you folks filling in the hull grid lines in the Hasegawa 1/350 offerings?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 am 

Hi All,

Congrats everyone on all the great efforts and knowledge shared on this forum.
I am new to this forum and planning to return to ship modelling.
If I am planning to build the 1944 Leyte Gulf version, and I plan to buy a comprehensive 1/350 Detail set (~ $100), can I start with either the 1941 Hasegawa kit or the 1944 Leyte Gulf kit ?

I see from comparisons of the instructions/kit sprues on line, there are only a few small sprues added in the 1944 kit.
Can a comprehensive set make up the difference anyway ? Some sets advertise you can build either version anyway with the detail set.

The reason is I may be able to buy the 1941 kit for quite a bit less than the 1944 kit (perhaps 1/2 the cost of a comprehensive set)

For ~$100, which set is the best investment - Flyhawk, LionRoar or Pontos Nagato sets ?
What else do I need to plan for in addition ? - (Veteran AA guns, decks ?)

Your help is most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Dave C

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

Felix C wrote:
Are you folks filling in the hull grid lines in the Hasegawa 1/350 offerings?

I did. :) Took about 3 hours or so using Mr Surfacer 500.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm 

davec6883 wrote:
For ~$100, which set is the best investment - Flyhawk, LionRoar or Pontos Nagato sets ?
What else do I need to plan for in addition ? - (Veteran AA guns, decks ?)

Hi Dave...to my (limited) knowledge, neither Flyhawk nor Pontos currently have a 1/350 Nagato set on the market. Pontos has one scheduled for the near future I think...if you are willing to wait. Judging from their other sets, its guarenteed to be a contender as first choice though.

Lionroar, Hasegawa and WEM have sets that you can buy now. The Lionroar superset is the most comprehensive (and expensive). the Hasegawa deck set is nice...17 deck pieces.

nagato build with Lionroar set: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=88978

I'd watch for the Pontos set though...but who knows when it will be released?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 pm 

Wished to say well done regarding the work on the hull in the posts above with images.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:27 pm 

An image of a Nagato-class from the private collection of Redditor /u/Gustav55's aunt's father: http://i.imgur.com/iFNvgGK.jpg

Can anyone identify whether it's Mutsu or Nagato?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm 

This is a pre modernization IJN Nagato class(two funnel one). Jugding by the range finders on the main guns, they are the "small ones". And the luck of armour plates on the rooftops. But the most obvious artefact is the 3 anchors(we can see 3 main chains).

The era in the red circle(s) in IJN Nagato was enclosed. In IJN Mutsu was protected only with canvas, like the one in the picture, so Im 80% sure is IJN Mutsu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:51 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum (haven't found any topic to greet you as a newbie...) :wave_1:

I'm planning to build full-hull Nagato in 1/700. I must choose between Aoshima's and Fujimi's kits, so I have two questions regarding those two:
1) Does Fujimi's full hull also depict Nagato in its 1941-43 version?
2) Which kit is better when it comes to hull details, like degaussing cable or "eyebrows" over portholes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:05 am 

Fivi_1241 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum (haven't found any topic to greet you as a newbie...) :wave_1:

I'm planning to build full-hull Nagato in 1/700. I must choose between Aoshima's and Fujimi's kits, so I have two questions regarding those two:
1) Does Fujimi's full hull also depict Nagato in its 1941-43 version?
2) Which kit is better when it comes to hull details, like degaussing cable or "eyebrows" over portholes?

Hello and welcome !
Fujimi's model is a 1941-1943 period. As for details the Fujimi in my opinion is better, got a better details and fitting but also is a bit more complicated and expensive compared to Aoshima one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 am 

Fujimi's 1/500 IJN Nagato 1941 is out, it has a new price, check it out:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10255252

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:31 am 

Question for the regulars at this thread:

Was the Nagato depicted Aoshima's 1927 Nagato kit exactly the same as Mutsu in the same period?

Just wondering if one could use this kit to make Mutsu in the same time period.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 am 

If you look further back in the thread, I have posted some of the main difference between IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato.
In general, the bow era was slight different and the main bridge had small crucial differences.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37 pm 

I've looked around and haven't found an answer. What is, for lack of more accurate term, the vertical 'plank' attached to the port side stern? I'm building the 1:700 scale Fujimi Nagato and not sure what it is or what it's for.

Thanks

Timm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 pm 

This is an emergency rudder. Found only late war.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 pm 

Atma wrote:
If you look further back in the thread, I have posted some of the main difference between IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato.
In general, the bow era was slight different and the main bridge had small crucial differences.

Thank you Atma for your feedback, as always.

Still does Fujimi have a 1928 version or any trunked funnel version of the Nagato?

Just saw Aoshima's 1928 Nagato model at a local model store, but am wary of buying if it has similar, multiple imperfections to ones that plague its other BB kits, as you said.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 pm 

Only Aoshima makes an interwar Nagato.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm 

CCGSailor wrote:

Just saw Aoshima's 1928 Nagato model at a local model store, but am wary of buying if it has similar, multiple imperfections to ones that plague its other BB kits, as you said.

The 1928 IJN Nagato(and the 1933 version) is far better than the rest of Aoshima's Imperial Battleships. You should invest in this nice model.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 pm 

Atma wrote:

So essentially, it's nearly impossible to make an interwar Mutsu, since I cannot just use parts from the 1/700 Aoshima 1928 or 1933 Nagato with parts from a later era Fujimi Mutsu?

The idea came to me of combining the Fujimi Mutsu's hull with Aoshima's 1928 or 1933 Nagato to deal with the bow area differences, as you said. However, I am still not sure what were the particular bridge differences between the two sisters in either 1928 or 33.

Oh well...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:01 am 

There is two kind of interwar IJN Mutsu, one up till 1933 and the other after 1935. Using the Aoshima's IJN Nagato 1933 or the 1928 you can make one but if requires scratch building the bow and altering some small details in the bridge/pagoda. As for the 1935 version you can use any IJN Mutsu from Aoshima and Fujimi and just remove the AA platform on the funnel, plus the rest of light AA guns.
As for the Fujimi hull is IMPOSSIBLE to be used on a 1928 or 1933 simple cause after 1935 the IJN Mutsu(and IJN Nagato) had a total new bow and also an enlarged hull. Fujimi hull is only usable when you depict IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato from 1935 +

CCGSailor wrote:
However, I am still not sure what were the particular bridge differences between the two sisters in either 1928 or 33.

Oh well...

I have posted all the difference between IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato from page 21 onwards, in this thread. If you want any clarifications feel free to ask. I have done great research on IJN Nagato, IJN Myoko and IJN Ise class warships cause the are my favourite IJN vessels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next