The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 pm 

Jim Baumann wrote:

Quote:
- apropos starfish-- I made a new one...

I tried to hollow out the resin undersides to give an impression of the metal plates--and it looked ok--but then.... well

Paper and brass slivers just looked sharper!!

I have opened up the spotting top with metal frame windows, added bits here and added bits there, thinned stuff down and chopped other stuff away...

You are braver than I. While I could muddle my way through some of the things you do, I don't have the time or the patience. Kudos to you for all the extras you are doing.

As to the picture. I have no idea what those are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:18 am 

Looks like a nested set of ship's boats- sort of how they used to nest dories on Grand Banks schooners, exept here vertical instead of horizontal.

Nice detail on those turret markings- they weren't mentioned in the instructions, so I didn't add them on mine.

I did 'Brunswick green' on my turret tops and hawse hole sonly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:09 pm 

a bit more progress...

Camel is done.

and the starfish photo mentioned earlier...

The strange boat-rack(?) thing has been made--

I can only see it on photos of Courageous--not Glorious-and only on the starboard side...

Ah well- must get on with building to complete her!

and not get bogged down with obsessing!

Jim Baumann

Attachments:
2009-08-31 095.jpg
2009-08-31 095.jpg [ 39.12 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]
2009-08-31 097.jpg
2009-08-31 097.jpg [ 36.81 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
starfish.jpg
starfish.jpg [ 53.68 KiB | Viewed 2130 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 pm 

If you don't mind alliteration, stupendous starfish!

Not to mention bodacious biplane...

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:11 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Does anyone know what these are--or what hey do--or have better pics...?

see below

Attachment:
Image14.jpg

They look to me like the standard supports to a platform, or the edge of a platform that protrudes from the deck.

If the deck does protrude above them, I'd say that was the answer.

I guess this is of historical interest now?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:13 pm 
Hello everyone.

I seem to have an unhealthy fascination with the RN's slightly oddball vessels - Abercrombie/Roberts, Engadine, Eagle, Rodney/Nelson, Agincourt and particularly Furious when she had the 18" turret.

On that subject, is there a kit out there (or planned) of Furious in that fit, or a conversion pack perhaps?

Any information or ideas you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:30 pm 

Guest wrote:
On that subject, is there a kit out there (or planned) of Furious in that fit, or a conversion pack perhaps?

Admiralty Model Works had announced a Furious in this fit as part of an ambitious release schedule a few years back, but I haven't heard anything recently.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:33 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Martin.

I guess I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the moment - there are plenty of oddball ships ahead of her in my model queue at the moment, so no hurry!

Cheerio,

Nigel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:29 pm 

Gerarddm wrote:
Well, I have just started in on Courageous, and have two questions for fellow builders, or Pavel if he's listening:

A) PE part 27 is a hull paravane I believe, but this part has an attached ladder to it. Yet the drawings and plans show this same paravane without any such ladder extention. Which is correct?

Is it a frame to store the fitting on to? Or is it a ladder to access to paravane? While some where lain on the deck in a frame of sorts, some where fixed onto the ships superstructure.

B) The box top art and the elevations show a vertical strake on the hull port and starboard, lined up with the rear of the tower. This strake looks like it ends in a small deck box. Query: there is no part for this strake, and no mention of it in the plans themselves. So, what is it? Maybe I should just fabricate a pair our of sheet styrene?

Sounds like a gash shute fixed on either side.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:09 pm 

Hi,

In British battleships of WW1, Burt has under Appearance Changes after Jutland while still under construction... Other modifications included:
Steel strips (Etna) and coconut matting to weather decks and other positions as applicable, 9 tons added. Another name for Coconut matting is coir matting.

Here is a poor photo I took of a picture hanging in Edinburgh Castle
Attachment:
Courageous Dry Dock from Edinburgh Castle sm.jpg
Courageous Dry Dock from Edinburgh Castle sm.jpg [ 129.11 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]

Here is the same picture by WW1 artist Charles Pears from the IWM collection
Attachment:
Courageous Dry Dock Charles Pears sm.jpg
Courageous Dry Dock Charles Pears sm.jpg [ 94.08 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]

Note the brown coconut matting next to the mine laying rails. Anyone for Coir Brown decks?
Attachment:
Coir Matting sm.jpg
Coir Matting sm.jpg [ 147.63 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]

Cheers,
George

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:42 pm 

Tackling Furious Carrier ver by loose cannon here. Q regarding the superstructure, is furious's much different to her sisters? The 2 kit parts on top of the conning tower (what I call oreo pieces) looks a little odd to me as they appear wider than from photos and has wrong shaped/number of baffles

Is there any documented difference in this level compared to those of her half sisters Courageous/Glorious? I'm tempted to scratch build based on the dimensions of the admiralty model works kit parts, would that be a good idea?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 am 

Hello Jim; excellent work. Do you have instructions or a program that will print the excellent deflection scales hat you can share?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:51 am 

varifleman wrote:
Hello Jim; excellent work. Do you have instructions or a program that will print the excellent deflection scales hat you can share?

Starfighter Decals did a set of deflection scales at one time. Contact Mark Tutton at Starfighter, he may be able to print for you to buy.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am 

Martin; thanks for the tip; Mark will print them for $10 plus $3 shipping.
MartinJQuinn wrote:
varifleman wrote:

Starfighter Decals did a set of deflection scales at one time. Contact Mark Tutton at Starfighter, he may be able to print for you to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 am 

I converted my Glorious to the 1917 fit:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5042:2017-11-11-10-14-34&catid=112

The search light platforms were modified, as were the masts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm 

For some time now I have been planning the construction of a 1:700 scale model of Furious as completed as a seaplane carrier My first thought was to use one of Admiralty Model Works's kits of the half-sisters, preferably starting with Gglorious, since there is no minelaying gear on the quarterdeck. I was thrown off for quite a time by the difference in beam between Furious and Glorious: 88 feet versus 81 feet, which is 1/8-inch when working in 1:700 scale. I then thought of backdating the Loose Cannon 1918 Furious, since this would have the slightly beamier hull.

While working on this, I noticed that, while Furious had a greater beam and larger displacement, it drew a foot less, and began to wonder why. I was able to access the body plans for Glorious and Furious as designed, and started making measurements. As far as I can tell, the beam on the upper deck of both ships is identical. The difference in beam is entirely below the waterline, where Furious has anti-torpedo bulges that are four feet deeper than those of its half-sisters. This also would broadly explain why Furious draws less water. Unless I am wholly mistaken, this seems to clear the way for using the Admiralty Model Works kit as a basis.