The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:18 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
KevinD wrote:
I lifted and cropped two [images] ... that I believe is Repulse (?) taken in 1932 off Hood. Is it Repulse, and I wonder where?

Kevin, that is HMS Renown. Her upper bulge is clearly visible above the waterline. Repulse did not share this "tell". :wave_1:

Thanks Dan, but I couldn't make out the lower set of Renown's scuttles, which I thought was the differentiating point. Didn't realise at that time (1932) that Repulse did not have that 'bulge'. Thanks for correcting me!
:good_job: :shipcaptain:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:44 pm 
Just found this B&W film and have never seen it before - dated 1920. I have seen the color one but this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaR1deHUAms

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:03 pm 

hi guys does anyone know the colour used on her bow metal deck,and her other decks that are not wood covered.i have some WEM enamel colourcoats i purchased long ago but none say 'deck grey' or suchlike.would appreciate any advice.i am building the 1/350 trumpy kit in the scheme she wore when lost.would gladly use acrylic equivalents if available.thanks,john.

completed 1/350
USS NORTH CAROLINA
USS FRANKLIN
HMS REPULSE
IJN AKAGI
IJN YAMATO
IJN KONGO
FN RICHELIEU

nearing completion
1/200 HMS NELSON

started
1/200 USS MISSOURI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:37 am 

Should be AP507A Dark Grey.

Unsure of Acrylic equivalents and what brands are available near you, but we're talking about decks, that get worn and faded quite a bit, so an approximate match would do. It's a dark grey with a slight blue tint. Since aircraft colours are likely to be easier to find, if you're looking for an alternative, something in the "RAF Extra Dark Sea Grey" ballpark would do in my opinion. Xtracrylix have it as XA1005, or you could go Humbrol 123 if stores near you stock it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:31 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

I used the old Snyder & Short colours initially including 507A for the steel decks.

A letter exists from Capt Tennant describing the camouflage on Repulse in which he described the tones as a very dark grey and a grey between Light Grey and Dark Grey which he then likens to some paint mentioned in another document dating back to the late 1930s. I've had a complete hard drive failure on Christmas Eve and lost a large amount of stuff so I can't verify his exact wording right now but I am sure dick can verify for me.

I interpreted that to mean that the lightest tone wasn't 507C but an unofficial shade with characteristics as described - between Light Grey (507C, 45% LRV) and Dark Grey (aka Home Fleet Grey, 10% LRV).

This model thus sat on the shelf of doom for some time but a few weeks ago I decided to just wing it but with the benefit of some numerical data.

The lightest tone on the model is the old, incorrect 507C which is too light at 52% LRV - this is the same shade all other brands copied - FWIW. The tins below are from left to right the corrected 507C at 45% LRV, BS381C-637 Medium Sea Grey at 28% LRV, old Snyder & Short "AP507B Medium Grey" (which you'd think Capt. Tennant would have made reference to instead of describing something as between 507C and HFG if that combination of shade and nomenclature did infact exist) and the corrected (lightened) 507A at 10% LRV. The Snyder & Short 507A measures out at 8% LRV by the way.

I chose Medium Sea Grey for my model. The darker tone is/always was painted in RAF Night (bomber black) as I felt matt black was inappropriate on a model.

Here is how it is currently looking. I think this will be an impossible subject to ever resolve categorically, but I am pleased with my choices here and they do resemble the photographic records nicely whilst not contradicting Capt Tennant's narraritive on his own ship.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:04 am 

James thats a beautiful looking Repulse! :thumbs_up_1: Hurry up now and finish it so you can have a nice reference for us mere mortals trying to make sense of colors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:27 pm 

Dear moy350:
The workmanship on Mr. Duff's model is very apparent and I'm sure it will be a beauty. I like his colors, too. But if you do want to use acrylics--like your post stated--you could do what I did: A mixture of Tamiya XF-80 Royal Navy Grey and Flat White for the light grey, XF-63 German Grey for the dark grey on the hull. However, I was unable to find a suitable acrylic for the decks and used a combination of enamels that I thought looked satisfactory.
By the way, there are several corrections you may want to make to the Trumpeter kit if you really want an "as sunk" model. If so, I would recommend looking closely at some of the nice 1941 Repulses in the gallery.
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am 

thanks guys,i may go with the WEM tins of 507c that i have for the decks.and yes i have looked at the models in the gallery and have already completed some of the mods needed.will post photos soon.
john.

completed 1/350
USS NORTH CAROLINA
USS FRANKLIN
HMS REPULSE
IJN AKAGI
IJN YAMATO
IJN KONGO
FN RICHELIEU

nearing completion
1/200 HMS NELSON

started
1/200 USS MISSOURI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 pm 

I assume that was a typo and you meant 507A :wave_1:

I'd like to point out a couple of other corrections to the Trumpeter kit, that James' otherwise excellent build omits:

1) the sloped edge under the bridge, where it's built up and enclosed, should not be curved, it's straight on the real thing. This can be fixed with a bit of careful filling and sanding.

2) Trumpeter places the waterline in the wrong place (too low), giving the ship the appearance of far too much freeboard, and the boot stripe according to instructions is far too thin. In reality, most of the torpedo bulge and 9" main armoured belt (invisible behind it) is submerged at full load. The black boot stripe should be wide, and it comes up pretty much to the top of the "step" created by the torpedo bulge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:25 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

That's a good shout Vlad. Nothing that can't be put right on mine at this stage. There's no fiddly bits added yet so moving lines is entirely doable :)

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 am 

I'd just like to add from the former Repulse discussion there was talk of the rear turret and back of hangar being painted in a more blue colour toward the end.

Vlad thank you for mentioning the waterline, that's one bit I have done correctly on my model, had to look at a lot of photos to get the right level and right thickness of bootstrip. Now have to lighten the red to match the colourcoats colour from the standard Tamiya Hull Red...

James thank you for all your information on paints. I ordered some of the colourcoats sent to Australia via Creative models and have *almost* got the correct colour matches with the local Tamiya acrylics, which can be bought in my town. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some of the new information that has come to light in this and the Ark Royal thread: can you confirm that the AP507A, AP507B and AP507C in that shipment to Oz are the correct colours to match?

And: did AP507A change after 1940? - I remember you mentioning something about the paint shifting from oil based to acrylic and so there was an earlier 'darker' 507A and a later, 'lighter' 507A which I think you are using here.
Lastly thank you for the information about Captain Tennant's description of the light grey being darker than 507C on Repulse's camo - I will adjust that on my model.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 pm 

Vlad wrote:
I'd like to point out a couple of other corrections to the Trumpeter kit, that James' otherwise excellent build omits:

2) Trumpeter places the waterline in the wrong place (too low), giving the ship the appearance of far too much freeboard, and the boot stripe according to instructions is far too thin. In reality, most of the torpedo bulge and 9" main armoured belt (invisible behind it) is submerged at full load. The black boot stripe should be wide, and it comes up pretty much to the top of the "step" created by the torpedo bulge.

W/R/T the Trumpeter hull, it has been moulded with a 90º "ledge" which stands out from the armor belt. The armor belt's upper edge, beautifully beveled in the moulding, is reasonably correct. However, the aforementioned "ledge" occupies what should in fact be a flush, smooth vertical continuance of that belt all the way down to the waterline. In other words, the top edge of the bulge did not rise above the 6" armor belt's lower terminus, nor did its upper edge form a right angle. To help visualize this, one may compare this feature with some USN battlewagons (ex: the New Mexico class), which featured upper "blisters" of that appearance. Those battleships' ledge-topped blisters may have "inspired" the Trumpeter error, but it is one of the more egregious issues a modeler with an eye toward configurational authenticity must deal with--especially if intending to build the kit as a full-hull replica. In most other respects, the hull is very respectable in contour and form. The error may be more easily addressed by choosing a "waterline" display format (with a robust, "busy" seascape) to mitigate it.
--DJB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 pm 

Guy's I'm looking to your knowledge here, I've just ordered the Trumpeter 1/350 Repulse but would like to build her in her 1940 Home fleet appearance. I've read through this long thread but noticed most questions / answers were related to time of sinking or pre war.
So what changes need to be made for 1940 and what reference would you recommend (already looking for a copy of Ensign 8 ), also has the Lion Roar upgrade set been corrected as mentioned earlier in this thread and how do I tell an old set from a corrected set if they exist?

Would I be correct with the following?
No saluting guns
No 20mm Oerlikons
No Radar
But what else?

Oh I'm reading the book HMS Renown so looking forward to the 1/350 Renown kit that was announced, Renown has always been my favorite capital ship.

In the design office -
HMS Ariadne Conversion of WEM kit

Last edited by Littorio on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 pm 

https://www.world-war.co.uk/bb/renown_class.php3
https://www.world-war.co.uk/bb/repulse.php3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 am 

Quote:
Would I be correct with the following?
No saluting guns
No 20mm Oerlikons
No Radar
But what else?

Oh I'm reading the book HMS Renown so looking forward to the 1/350 Renown kit that was announced, Renown has always been my favorite capital ship.

Littorio, please check your e-mail. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 am 

Requested author's reply via e-mail, still have not received. For anyone interested in a 1940 HMS Repulse, "Littorio" 's post is generally correct as to the details listed (i.e., no Hotchkiss saluting guns, no radar complement no Oerlikon (20mm) AA, etc.), but there are a few others (referring to the actual ship, NOT the Trumpeter model).

Right off the bat, in no particular order :
    *Seaplane = Fairey Swordfish
    *4-inch triple mounting still fitted at #3 position (no octuple pompom fitted yet)
    *Mainmast ensign gaff re-positioned to top of starfish platform
    *Spare seaplane floats stowed in chocks on roof of boat workshop
    *Foremast upperworks still painted in light grey for a brief period after yard refit

There are significant errors in the Trumpeter 1/350 Repulse that require attention, unrelated to the historical period 1936-1941.

--Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 am 

Would anyone be able and willing to share good close photos and/or drawings of the shelter deck area of HMS Renown in 1934-35? I'm after as much detail as possible of the catapult and hangar arrangement, and basically everything else in the space around and between. Specifically, I can't work out where the port 4" AA gun is, if it's even still there.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 am 
Hi Jack / All

We are planning on our next Sovereign shipment with ALL new and out of stock paints being included. This will be a June shipment, and taking pre orders now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 am 

Hi all,

New to this forum as I just started building a Tamiya 1/700 Repulse :thumbs_up_1:
I wanted to ask if anyone built this particular model with the Flyhawk upgrade set (FH700122), as I am just starting out to do that - I fear that I'm may be missing a page of instructions for the PE upgrade set (have 4 pages), and upon studying the instructions and the PE, there seems to be several parts without any instructions on where they go (mostly the deck railings). Not a big deal as I could figure this out without the instructions, but wanted to know just in case there I was missing a page and I could find a PDF or similar online...
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:56 am 

If nobody answers,because is not a common set then why You don't try to contact them at flyhawkmodelxc@vip.163.com

Two times I got some problem they have answered me within 5 working days,their customer service is still quite good and English is not an issue anymore.

3.- Don't build it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next