The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:11 am 

In detail:

The triple mountings used Mk V guns adapted to Mk VIII breech mechanisms. At the time, it was a quick solution to meet Fisher's requirements, allowing for both a high rate of fire (at least, on paper) and director control. Three of these were clustered in a triple mounting Mk IX, but the barrels sticking out the front of the gunhouse were Mk V.

I presume you are interested in the barrels' appearance, yes?

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

RNfanDan wrote:
In detail:

The triple mountings used Mk V guns adapted to Mk VIII breech mechanisms. At the time, it was a quick solution to meet Fisher's requirements, allowing for both a high rate of fire (at least, on paper) and director control. Three of these were clustered in a triple mounting Mk IX, but the barrels sticking out the front of the gunhouse were Mk V.

I presume you are interested in the barrels' appearance, yes?

:thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the clarification. I have been before on Navweaps site and they are not as clear as you are regarding Repulse's 4" gun type but as a RN expert (No kidding) I buy your explanation without any problem :big_grin: . And, of course, I am interested by the barrels' appearance because I would like to know if the forthcoming 1/700 4" brass barrels will be suitable for my future HMS Repulse build.

Thanks in advance

Gilbert :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 pm 

Not quite sure of your meaning, but speaking for myself, I am certainly no "expert", merely a student of my favorite ship's history!

By the way, if you are planning to work in 1:350 scale, be aware of this aftermarket accessory I recently stumbled upon:

Attachment:
1-350 triple guns.JPG
1-350 triple guns.JPG [ 59.32 KiB | Viewed 10039 times ]

Hope this helps? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Thanks but I only buid in 1/700. The Fukuya guns look good anyway.

cheers

Gilbert :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 pm 

Attachment:
fuk350-41.jpg
fuk350-41.jpg [ 36.7 KiB | Viewed 10028 times ]

they also have the main guns available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm 

Both the Trumpeter model and the original plans show a number of benches / seats scattered around the shelter deck, particularly up forward.

Does anyone know if theses were removed in war time or remained in place??

thanks

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 am 

Many of these benches were placed for special events i.e., the Empire Tour with HMS Hood, etc. Most were undoubtedly removed after these periods.

ADDENDUM: It's been nearly two years since I originally posted this, but I am able to confirm that there were at least SOME of these benches still aboard the ship on 10 December, 1941. At least two were known to exist abaft 15" twin B turret, retained there for use by the guncrews (breaks, etc.). Others may well have been aboard, but with the many changes the ship underwent in some areas where benches had previously existed, it seems almost certain that many were removed or relocated, by 1941.

Last edited by RNfanDan on Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:27 pm 

I have some friends who will be visiting HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse in the middle of September. I am putting together a bit of a list of things to get them to look at on Repulse to attempt to clarify some points of interest. While I cannot guarantee that they will be able to find these points (the group is not particularly familiar with the wreck and this will be their first trip there...... and the wreck be quite confusing and disorientating at the best of times!), if anyone has any questions they would like added to the list please let me know. I will need to have this done by later this week.

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 pm 

I am having a devil of a time figuring out exactly what happened to REPULSE's degaussing coil at the bows of the ship. Photos of the ship in 1940 and of the wreck are no help. This famous view seems to suggest the cables were carried up above the prow:

This view seems to confirm this:

But these views from a 1940 gunnery shoot do not show a degaussing coil anywhere in the region of the bows:

Two views of the prow of the wreck show nothing at all (unlike HOOD's coil which is still clearly visible) except for a rope apparently belonging to the divers:

I wonder if the cables were taken inside the hull at the bows for some reason?

Two final queries: (1) can anybody recommend a large scale plan which accurately shows the shapes of the ventilators on the aft superstructure fore and aft of the HADT? and (2) can anybody recommend a large scale plan which shows the correct shape of the structures beneath the aft single-barrel 4-in. HA guns? I am building a 1:300 scale card REPULSE.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm 

Check out Andrew F's build in"works in progress" inside picture post, he shows John Robert's diagram of aft gunhouses. Dan will soon repost his dwg's on page 1 of this section. John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 pm 

Helpful, thank you. Would be even more useful with side views.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 pm 

deleted

Last edited by RNfanDan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 pm 

Hi Dan,

Have you a copy of Middlebrook's book? Plate 6 is photo of the starboard deck house and 4" gun taken from behind and looking forward. The ready use locker at the aft end can be clearly seen. I'd scan it and put it up but I'm rather short of time!

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 pm 

If we ever meet, RNfanDan, drinks are on me!

I could do this by MkI eyeball in the old Airfix REPULSE days, but I wanted something better for larger scales (I am "threatening" to build the Fantom 1:300 scale REP, a paper model). Thank you mightily.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am 

Here are enlargements of the bow and stern portion of an Admiralty portrait photo taken of REP on 5 July 1941. The degaussing coil cable is clearly visible on the hull aft. The angled covering for the cable can be seen leading up from running along the top of the lower armor belt in the bow enlargement, but where it led was not clear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:26 am 

JHS wrote:
Here are enlargements of the bow and stern portion of an Admiralty portrait photo taken of REP on 5 July 1941. The degaussing coil cable is clearly visible on the hull aft. The angled covering for the cable can be seen leading up from running along the top of the lower armor belt in the bow enlargement, but where it led was not clear.

Thank you for the pictures! Here are two more. The last one shows the cable.

Attachment:
Repulse 1940.jpg
Repulse 1940.jpg [ 73.7 KiB | Viewed 10227 times ]

Attachment:
repulse deg2.jpg
repulse deg2.jpg [ 130.76 KiB | Viewed 10019 times ]

Measure twice, cut once. Measuring once could be quicker...

Last edited by mifune on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:14 pm 

I imagine you folks are familiar with this recently released 3D book on Repulse?

A few mistakes therein have been noted by the experts but all in all highly recommended.

Available via Ebay or direct from the publisher (Kagero) and not doubt other stores.

Some more pics of interior of book here.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/kagero-16006-r ... anguage=en

Attachments:
Kagero_16006.jpg
Kagero_16006.jpg [ 43.78 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]

Last edited by KevinD on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm 

I do not have a great deal of confidence in Kagero's output for ships or airplanes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm 

JHS wrote:
I do not have a great deal of confidence in Kagero's output for ships or airplanes.

Have you seen this particular book yet?

I think judging it on what you think of other Kagero books is a bit harsh.

And, with that said, the Kagero IJN 3D books have a very high rating amongst IJN buffs.

Which books in particular do you refer to?

Last edited by KevinD on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:31 pm 

Having been burned by Kagero several times, and already having a number English-language resources on REP by people with demonstrated expertise, I have no interest in buying it. I am as wary of Kageros as I am of the pretty-but-often-worthless Japanese CGI publications. Furthermore, I understand the plans in this publication are recycled copies of 1970s-era Raven-Roberts plans rather than being based on up-to-date research.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next