The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 am 

JH wrote:
Morning!

Been offered a good price for the Trumpy 1/350 Repulse, (£45) is the kit itself a decent foundation to work from?

Not against scratchbuiding!

Cheers

Jens

Yes, the kit is a good starting point. Biggest issues in my opinion, not an exhaustive list:

- the angled plated up section below the bridge has a curved line; this should be straight, can be fixed with careful sanding.

- the hull shape is OK but the location of the waterline is plain wrong. Ignore Trumpeter's instructions, paint the boot stripe high and wide, basically from the kit waterline split to the top of the main armoured belt/torpedo bulge

- aft deckhouse under single 4" mounts is the wrong shape for Dec 1941. The shape is correct for a 1936-39 fit with the twin mounts; easy scratchbuilt fix.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 am 

JH wrote:
Morning!
Been offered a good price for the Trumpy 1/350 Repulse, (£45) is the kit itself a decent foundation to work from?
Not against scratchbuiding! Cheers Jens

I would say £ 45 is a superb cheap price for that kit , note -
the main errors Trumpeter made with the kit are listed in this build log - viewtopic.php?f=60&t=44007

These are mainly , only 1 support strut for the Propellor shaft brackets ( should be 2 ) - easy fix
Aft Hawse pipe hole in stern is too high , it should be lower ( see build log quoted above )
ditch the 20mm Oerlikons - from kit , they are garbage ( Infini do a great set )
as stated - the aft deckhouses were made by the Model Company are from 1936 Refit , and were altered in 1939 -
see my earlier post with the photos showing this -
I also point out that the Flyhawk set is wonderful , but contains too many Oerlikon Tubs ( only 8 needed ) -
The Plastic Gun Tubs on the Aft Turret - and the Stern - were never there - remove them -
you only have only have 2 round , flat platforms for the Oerlikons on the Rear Turret
hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:10 am 

73north stated that only 8 Oerlikon tubs are needed - I beg to differ. I believe that she only ever carried 4 20mm in tubs (abreast the mainmast and abreast the conning tower), plus 2 without tubs on "Y" turret. See posts by myself and RNFanDan dated 5 and 8 April in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
73north stated that only 8 Oerlikon tubs are needed - I beg to differ. I believe that she only ever carried 4 20mm in tubs (abreast the mainmast and abreast the conning tower), plus 2 without tubs on "Y" turret. See posts by myself and RNFanDan dated 5 and 8 April in this thread.

I will add to Mr. Stoneman's post, this important point:

* There were NO Oerlikons present above and abaft "B" main armament 15" turret, as provided for in the kit parts. These are depicted as small outcroppings or sponsons, one each, to starboard and port of the main armored conning tower (supporting the main gunnery director). Recent photographic evidnce disproves their existence (which was speculative, at best). The outcropped bulwarks can be trimmed away and replaced with plasticard or other suitable strip material, to establish their proper contours.

--DJB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:12 pm 

Thanks for all the advice, definitely a decent price and doesn't sound too bad on the modification front.

Regarding PE - are WEM still the way to go, or worth looking at Flyhawk etc?

/Jens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am 

I would say Flyhawk is the best etch set for Repulse , far more extensive and makes a huge difference to the basic kit ( more bang for your buck )

plus its well engineered and easier to use .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:59 pm 

73north wrote:
I would say Flyhawk is the best etch set for Repulse , far more extensive and makes a huge difference to the basic kit ( more bang for your buck ) plus its well engineered and easier to use .

One small error in one of the major Repulse PE sets--I cannot recall which (?)-- is that that two, tall ladderways are provided for the port side of the lower bridge deck, immediately forward of the ship's forefunnel. This is "anatomically incorrect"-- there was only ONE ladderway between the lower bridge and flag/signal deck. Its proper orientation is slightly angled outward and inclined, fore-to-aft. I believe the instructions provided with the PE set specify both ladders to be installed at the rear edge of the lower bridge deck. It's a minor point, but worth mentioning.

Perhaps the extra ladder might be "repurposed" for a later modeling project?

FYI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 pm 

With chronic disorders and age continuing to impose on my health, I'd like to offer prospective HMS Repulse modelers the latest information on the ship's configuration and other details--some of which, have long remained unclear, unnoticed, or otherwise "un-somethinged" :huh:.

I've long hoped to gather these bits and bobs into some form of publication; unfortunately however, it seems that every time I felt I'd reached the "completion" of my decade-long efforts, some new detail or another would be unearthed or otherwise brought to my attention (a number of these details being made possible from others, and my sincere thanks to all --you
know whom you are!). With each late-hour advancement and discovery, I was compelled to make corrections and additions to my "conclusions", some of which I had already disseminated to others in the form of text, graphics, or photographs.

The flow of information has often been glacier-like during my lengthy research on my favorite RN battlecruiser. Much misinformation has been published in the many years since Repulse was lost on 10 December 1941; however, in most cases this could not be avoided--for many reasons. It is NOT my intent to disparage the many excellent technical and historical books, papers, drawings, and other media that have together comprised the knowledge base we enjoy, today. Time and technology have made it possible for the dissemination and exchange of information, photographs, and research opportunities such as never before--particularly with the advent of global networks.

Much of what has changed my ability to conduct research and communicate with my benefactors over the years, is due to the hard work done by others and their willingness to share their findings with me, via the internet. This very website is just one example of the means by which others can contribute to that knowledge base, and I cannot avoid praising the admins and moderators for keeping this forum available to us all. I've taken much more than I've given, certainly, and I hope to contribute even one-tenth as much in return. Perhaps then, my obsession with HMS Repulse will benefit modelers and other researchers who are, or might become, "fans" of this warship. I intend, with the approval of the admins and moderators of MW, to share what I have learned over the years. In doing so, I hope serious modelers will be able to create more accurate replicas and gain a better understanding of the ship.

I'm willing to work with anyone serious about making a better replica than what "the box" contains, to my best ability--but as well, I intend to keep privileged and confidential photographs, documents and certain other research I have acquired, preserved as requested (again, for you whom know who you are!).

Thanks for reading!

--Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
I intend, with the approval of the admins and moderators of MW, to share what I have learned over the years. In doing so, I hope serious modelers will be able to create more accurate replicas and gain a better understanding of the ship.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise, Dan. Please continue. I, for one, appreciate those who are so willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us. If I ever find the time to build either the Tamiya (700) or Trumpeter (350) kits I have of Repulse, I'll be sure to reach out.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 am 

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise, Dan. Please continue. I, for one, appreciate those who are so willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us. If I ever find the time to build either the Tamiya (700) or Trumpeter (350) kits I have of Repulse, I'll be sure to reach out.

Thank you for that, Martin!

As a "teaser", I would like to include some topics I hope will prove worthy of special interest and discussion. Here are two samples:

[*] The intended location of Repulse's two, "missing" Oerlikon mountings; and,

[*] A "new" detail item of possible interest to modelers, involving the starboard (King's staff) aft deck house.

--Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:04 am 

Not sure if this image of HMS Repulse has been posted in this thread before but thought it of interest.

However, a question, what / who is Romola as original caption states; "HMS REPULSE ON CLYDE IN 1916 WITH EREBUS & ROMOLA". I can find pics (one at bottom), etc of HMS Erebus on-line, but not any mention of a Romola.

Second pic below (of HMS Glatton in drydock) showing extended torpedo bulge as on Erebus in full.

And re HMS Erebus; I was very interested to learn - from Wiki - that one of her 15" guns was supposedly mounted on HMS Vanguard, i.e. "She (i.e.Erebus) was scrapped in July 1946. It is believed that one of Erebus' 15-inch guns was used to equip Vanguard, the Royal Navy's last battleship".)

So any help with what / what was Romola?

TIA

Attachments:
HMS-REPULSE-ON-CLYDE-IN-1916-WITH-HMS-EREBUS-&-ROMOLA.jpg
HMS-REPULSE-ON-CLYDE-IN-1916-WITH-HMS-EREBUS-&-ROMOLA.jpg [ 281.63 KiB | Viewed 11087 times ]
HMS_Glatton_in_drydock_IWM_SP_2083.jpg
HMS_Glatton_in_drydock_IWM_SP_2083.jpg [ 372.91 KiB | Viewed 11087 times ]
HMS_Erebus_I02.jpg
HMS_Erebus_I02.jpg [ 353.79 KiB | Viewed 11087 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:45 am 

HMS ROMOLA (named after the heroine of a book by George Eliot) was an Admiralty "R" class destroyer. There is a photo at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a_1916.jpg

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 am 
tjstoneman wrote:
HMS ROMOLA (named after the heroine of a book by George Eliot) was an Admiralty "R" class destroyer. There is a photo at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a_1916.jpg

Thanks. Not sure what happened to me but did a couple of searches inc Wiki and got nothing! Odd.

So which one in pic is she, the DD fore or aft next to Repulse? I am 'assumig' aft from the caption with photo?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:10 pm 

According to my best information, Romola is the destroyer nearest Repulse's bow, with Rowena astern of her sister.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
According to my best information, Romola is the destroyer nearest Repulse's bow, with Rowena astern of her sister.

Thanks, Dan, makes sense after all. (Yes that was my post, not sure why I showed up as 'guest' as am supposed to be 'automatically' logged in, or so the box I ticked long ago states i would be.)

Anyway, re my question; having just made it back home - when I made my post - after a long flight and some hard work prior, I guess I am still not quite 'with it' yet. Not sure why I asked the stupid question that I did alluding to how the caption was written inferring Romola would be the aft DD, because of cause it makes sense that it is the nearest DD to the viewer, as after all Erebus is the big fell over to the right, not another DD. So pardon my dumb question, I guess I'll just go stand in the corner for a while! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:51 am 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Badge- ... SwroZayG8l

This is a new item , I have never seen before , a nice Metal Badge for the Battle Cruiser HMS Repulse for 1/350 or 1/700 model display

perhaps of some interest ??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:44 am 

Just thought I'd post this comparison photo of Renown (top, photo taken supposedly just pre-war) and Repulse taken (supposedly) in mid to late 30's. Enjoy.

Attachments:
Renown-and-Repulse-late-30s.jpg
Renown-and-Repulse-late-30s.jpg [ 74.91 KiB | Viewed 10661 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 am 

Hey, I hope I am not jumping the gun on another poster here, but for those that haven't been to his site suggest you do so ASAP! http://ontheslipway.com/

Exceptionally clear (naval) photos! Great work EJ!!!

I lifted and cropped two from there that I believe is Repulse (?) taken in 1932 off Hood. Is it Repulse, and I wonder where?

Hope you don't mind me posting here EJ, if so I apologise, (and that I am not infringing on any copyright)?

EDIT: Forgot to insert link to his site (even though I already had it 'copied' and ready to paste in)! :huh: :Mad_6:

Attachments:
Gallery_07_01.jpg
Gallery_07_01.jpg [ 23.57 KiB | Viewed 10584 times ]
Gallery_07_01 CROP.jpg
Gallery_07_01 CROP.jpg [ 180.62 KiB | Viewed 10584 times ]
Gallery_07_02.jpg
Gallery_07_02.jpg [ 15.71 KiB | Viewed 10584 times ]
Gallery_07_02 CROP.jpg
Gallery_07_02 CROP.jpg [ 155.33 KiB | Viewed 10584 times ]

Last edited by KevinD on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 am 

KevinD wrote:
Exceptionally clear (naval) photos! Great work EJ!!!

Thanks!

KevinD wrote:
Hope you don't mind me posting here EJ, if so I apologise, (and that I am not infringing on any copyright)?

I've realized that once you put up an image it may end up anywhere. I learned that when I uploaded this image without a link to my website and now it is everywhere; you can even buy it at the image thievery and extortion website Alamy. May a power cable unplug and burn down their buildings. Some people edit out the URLt which is really loathsome but what can you do... /endrant

So as long as the URL is still visible I'm fine; the point was getting them out in the open. Plus, some are from Wright & Logan Photographic Collection (some say so on the back) and I do not know the copyright situation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:31 am 

KevinD wrote:
I lifted and cropped two [images] ... that I believe is Repulse (?) taken in 1932 off Hood. Is it Repulse, and I wonder where?

Kevin, that is HMS Renown. Her upper bulge is clearly visible above the waterline. Repulse did not share this "tell". :wave_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next