The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:01 am 
Trumpeter Models does a nice 1/350 scale kit of HMS Repulse part no (TM05312), and there are plenty of aftermarket items out there to enhance the kit.

I'm sure your grandfather would make a really nice job of her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 pm 
check the pics in 'battleship' by middlebrook and mahoney. possibly there. i did see a pic of the port side but do not have that media any more but believe that is the book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm 
Hello all,
has anyone tried the Flyhawk 1/350 Repulse PE set. I working on it now. Quite an awesome PE set with detailed parts.
I have some questions on the davits of the repulse. Can anyone shed some light on the different davits on the ship and the location of it? I have some confusion on the davits from the flyhawk sets.

Cheers
Chuanren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 am 

do any of you Repulse experts know if the B.Resina kit is closer to the Tamiya or Trumpeter kit in dimensions? I don't see a point in buying another kit, so I'm just going to get one of the two Flyhawk sets and backdate to the late 30's..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:06 pm 

Hi, I am an amateur builder, so not really looking for accuracy. I do not have the Renown 1/700 kit, just the Trumpeter Repulse 1/700. Can anyone tell me if the 2 Trumpeter kits have identical decks?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 am 

anyone got pictures of the inside of Repulse's plane hangers? Ive found pics of Queen Elizabeth's and guess they might look similar. However Burts diagrams seem to show different internal bracing to QE or Renown.

Also any idea as to hanger color? In pics it looks a grey. Same for Repulse ?

Below pics off the net.

Your help as always much appreciated :)

Attachments:
aircraft deck   qe.jpg
aircraft deck qe.jpg [ 76 KiB | Viewed 4290 times ]

Last edited by Allan McBeath on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:49 am 

That's King George V, btw. There are a few on the IWM site and I attached a cropped image of HMS Sheffield. I do not know how correct Burt is in same aspects of his drawings. A comparison between Burt and an official drawing of HMS Hood's armour layout showed Burt's distribution of belt armour segments to be imaginary. But he did give me the idea to add to lines to armour, so no harm done ;)

THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR. © IWM (A 3881)IWM Non Commercial Licence

THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR. © IWM (A 4188)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Last edited by EJFoeth on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 am 

Thanks for that. Not sure how I miss labelled those pics last night.

Your pics much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am 

Propose this gets merged into the appropriate CASF thread.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Done

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:46 pm 

Excellent hanger images there, never seen those before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

Hello,

I have just started my Repulse...any advice on the best (most appropriate) photo etch for 'as sunk' 1941 fit?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 pm 

I really like the GMM set. No DG cable though! Admiralty Modelworks sells a correct rear deck house also.
hth john

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:52 pm 

Maybe Lion Roar set + Eduard set.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 am 

I would agree with John that the AMW deck houses look good and seem about correct. Most of the sets have inaccuracies due to them following the kit too much, particularly around the bridge and rear deck house. There also needs to be modification of the mainmast platform for the vickers machine guns.
The WEM Hood set provides some very useful parts, particularly eyelets to allow for the rigging supports on the funnels and also the awning stations if you want to have those. It also has a DG cable although it's not quite correct. One of the Japanese ones might do the job and I think generic lengths are available. The Flyhawk set wold also be a good starting point as well.

regards,

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 am 

Ady wrote:
Don't know if you guys have already seen it or not but I found a great picture of the Repulse at Haifa in 1938, a time when she looked her best in my opinion. Enjoy.

Adrian
I was looking at this picture as well as some drawings. I am wondering about the port and starboard twin QF 4.5 inch mounts on the rear superstructure behind the aft main gun turret. When were these added? Did she have them when she was sunk? Neither the Tamiya or Trumpeter kits have them. Did they remove them before she was sunk for some reason?

I was wanting to convert either the Trumpeter or Tamiya 1/700 kit into this fit, just wanting to make sure I don't get in over my head as my skill level is moderate and not up the same level as many of the regulars around here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 am 

JasonW wrote:
I am wondering about the port and starboard twin QF 4.5 inch mounts on the rear superstructure behind the aft main gun turret. When were these added? Did she have them when she was sunk? Neither the Tamiya or Trumpeter kits have them. Did they remove them before she was sunk for some reason?

The mountings were prototypes for the 4.5's but held 4" guns rather than 4.5's. After they were installed, Repulse was modified to take the Royal Family on a world tour and the spaces holding the BD (Between Decks) mountings were rebuilt as the Royal quarters. Obviously, these spaces could not be half filled with embedded gun mountings, so the guns were replaced by the singles mounted on the deck above. I am not sure whether the tour actually took place, but the ship was never restored to the previous config.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm 

Your best bet is the Tamiya kit. You just need to replace the pompom mount with the spare 4" triple turret in the kit and remove the 4 engine room vents from the base of the aft gunnery director. Also there were no 20mm AA guns and with this kit you have to drill the holes for the tubs anyway so there's no holes to fill. That just leaves the BD turrets and a replacement float plane to sort out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 pm 

I know this has been asked before but I feel the question has not been thoroughly answered and I want to throw a different slant on it anyway.

I want to make a 1923/24 Repulse in 1/700 (yes, another one, but hopefully much better this time).

I am wondering whether the Tamiya or Trumpeter kit is the best starting point. Since the backdate is fairly dramatic, any issues regarding quality/accuracy of superstructure and AA stuff is irrelevant. What I am interested in is only hull + turrets.

OK so having built the Tamiya Repulse OOB I am very impressed with the kit. The reasons it is not a clear cut decision though are:

1) it's over twice the price, is it worth it given I'm discarding half the superstructure?

2) the upper half of the Trumpeter hull is deeper, which would make a more accurate waterline look compared to her much deeper draught in 1941 (although I still have my doubts about the accuracy of this hull split decision on their part). Any other glaring inaccuracies in the Trumpeter hull I should be aware of?

3) I want to use the ArtWox wood deck, but this is designed for the Trumpeter kit and I am not sure I want to fiddle around trying to adapt it. Would it be possible to adapt the ArtWox deck to the Tamiya kit? Is the real wood deck even worth it?

If I do go for Trumpeter though, I'm pretty sure the turrets need replacing (with the Admiralty Modelworks ones), am I right?

I also assume the Admiralty turrets are identical to the ones in their Glorious kit (which I have). Just from putting the Glorious and the (Tamiya) Repulse side by side and looking at pictures, the Tamiya turrets actually look better than the Admiralty Modelworks :-o !! Can this be or is it just my eyes?

Your input would be appreciated :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 pm 

I cannot help you much with regard to models, themselves---but the turrets for HMS Repulse, Renown, Courageous and Glorious were, historically, nearly indistinguishable as far as their basic form is concerned. The most obvious difference in outward appearance between the twin 15" turrets of RN battleship classes and the above battlecruisers /white elephants, was the lack of "facets" on their rounded sides.

The gun barrels, themselves were essentially the same in appearance, for modeling purposes. HMS Renown's main armament was given increased elevation after 1936, and she sported armor mantlets (sometimes dubbed "eyebrows") along the forward edge of her turrets, above the gun openings. This was not the case for Repulse, so I would avoid any aftermarket turrets offered for Renown --if they are available.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Last edited by RNfanDan on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 pm 

Hi Dan,

Thank you, that is good to know. Since you are not familiar with the kits (and for the sake of discussion anyway) I am attaching a comparison picture. At the top are two reference pictures of A and B turrets on HMS Repulse, below are the HMS Glorious (Admiralty Modelworks) and HMS Repulse (Tamiya) kits in 1/700 with close-up of the turret. Although the Admiralty Modelworks turret is excellently cast, I can't help but feel the turret roof is too "flat". The pictures seem to agree more with the Tamiya depiction of a turret that is lower overall and narrower at the front. Let me know what you think about this.

Attachment:
Comparison.jpg
Comparison.jpg [ 107.61 KiB | Viewed 5175 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next