The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm 

Can I ask respectfully ( I want to buy the Trumpeter HMS Repulse 1/350 next month ) - so I need to ask a question , please

who makes the best aftermarket wood deck for this ship , please ?

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:15 pm 

I like the Woodhunter deck because it has planking on B gun deck. I haven't used it yet. I bought the Admiralty Modelworks rear deckhouse correction set. The kit is not well moulded (fit) wise.
hth jc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 pm 

Thank you !

Yeah , I spotted a few reviews - on the Repulse especially the faults ( open tunnel ) on the rear superstructure -
and the non-existent gun tubs on the rear turret top that Trumpeter decided to fit on to X Gun Turret

the one I can't get over is the single bracket support for each propeller shaft , when each shaft had two supports

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:16 pm 

Check out Andrew F build in the gallery when the kit first came out he points out must of the faults. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
hth jc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

JCRAY wrote:
Check out Andrew F build in the gallery when the kit first came out he points out must of the faults. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
hth jc

You can find a link on the first page (2nd post) in this topic.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 am 

Thank you very much , much appreciated

just an update to say I ended up buying the ArtWox Wooden Deck set ( and also as you get a free anchor chain )

Last edited by 73north on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am 

JCRAY wrote:
I like the Woodhunter deck because it has planking on B gun deck. I haven't used it yet. I bought the Admiralty Modelworks rear deckhouse correction set. The kit is not well moulded (fit) wise.
hth jc

Note to modelers: HMS Repulse had NO WOOD PLANKING fitted to the shelter level abaft main turret B. If a veneer is included in a wooden deck set for this area, and the cost is increased because of this, use your own discretion. I have no stake in the matter of deck veneers whatsoever, so I am completely unfamiliar with their brand variables. I only step in here, to alert those buying a particular veneer set, simply because of its inclusion of that particular component.

FWIW,

--Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

Hi
Can I ask some advice for modelling help ??

I plan to use these 1/350 NEW Shapeways 15 inch Turrets for the Trumpeter HMS Repulse Kit ( made by Micro Master ) - and have a query ?
( 1 ) I plan to use to replace the plastic 15 inch Metal Gun Barrels with metal barrels by Master of Poland -
and use the Trumpeter kit attachments from the old Trumpeter underside of the Turret ( see red arrows - in the photo ) to attach to the Shapeways Turret underside

What is the best way of getting the kit plastic gun barrels ( with Metal Gun Barrels attached at the end ) to be elevated ?

would I be best using the Trumpeter Turret ' Bottom ' front part ( minus the area to the right of the green area marked on the bottom photo )
to keep the Gun Barrels from moving ? - or do I not need them with the Kit Barbette being underneath ??

is there any tips or tricks I need to be aware of ?

for the record - I am VERY impressed with these new Turrets , the extra work to make them fit to the existing Kit Barbettes
will be well worth it , and apologies if the photos are HUGE , its the new photo host , imgur , I am still getting used to it !

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm 

you already have attachments on either side of the gun barrel holes in the turret. are the guns going to be glued elevated or be adjustable?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am 

I planned on them being able to be manually elevated or be able to be fixed at a flat , horizontal angle .
I definitely don't want to glue them to the Turret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 am 

sit a plastic rod that will hold the metal barrels into those attachments then glue 2 pieces of plastic on centerline of each gun port to hold the plastic rod in place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm 

I thought I would share a potentially different idea for using the existing Trumpeter Display Base Stand -
I got the Trumpeter ' Dry Dock ' Display Stand coverted to accept 2 Silver Ship Pedestals for the 1/350 HMS Repulse Model
- the Plastic Kit Display Stand was strengthened underneath with 2 Aluminium Supports to transfer the weight of the completed Model to the ground -
rather than the Kit display stand plastic - and 2 proper steel screws and washers to fix the Model to the stand
maybe of some interest ??
note - Imagevenue ( beware - spam Advertising is you click on the links )
note - the Engineer that did the work on the Pedestals was Calum from Anderson and Wilson of Galashiels , Scotland
https://www.engineerscout.org/company-a ... iels-20802

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Ship-D ... 3446606152?

These are the ones that I bought on Ebay , from the same seller , but there are others on ebay as well ( search 1/350 Pedestals Ship )

Last edited by 73north on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 am 

note - imagevenue hosting used - when you click on image , it is much larger ( sorry for adult advertising on imagevenue - out of my hands )
I tried using imgur , but the image sizes are too small , to really be workable

Very Impressed with the Micro Master - Shapeways Turrets for HMS Repulse -
they really are far nicer and more detailed ( and accurate ) than the Kit Turrets
The Master Model Aftermarket Gun Barrels were used - which needed work done with a slight lip removed at the area
where the barrel is attached to the remaining kit plastic gun barrel
The etch is from the FLYHAWK etch Super-Detail set

Last edited by 73north on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 am 

73north wrote:

note - imagevenue hosting used - when you click on image , it is much larger ( sorry for advertising on imagevenue - out of my hands )
I tried using imgur , but the image sizes are too small , to really be workable

Very Impressed with the Micro Master - Shapeways Turrets for HMS Repulse -
they really are far nicer and more detailed ( and accurate ) than the Kit Turrets
The Master Model Aftermarket Gun Barrels were used - which needed work done with a slight lip removed at the area
where the barrel is attached to the remaining kit plastic gun barrel
The etch is from the FLYHAWK etch Super-Detail set

WOW! Those look spectacular!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 pm 

Hi everyone!
A friend of mine is currently building Trumpeter's HMS Repulse for 1941, battle of Malaya.
We've encountered serious problems trying to define the exact number and types of AA weapons as our sources cotradict each other. Can anyone help please?

Also does anyone have information of Vickers 4-barreled machine guns on a platform of the main mast of the ship? Were they fitted there, and if yes, does anyone have photos? IWM did not help, unfortunately

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:21 pm 

Image Image Image
Image Image

These photos show the information

The ship had 3 x Octuple 2pdr Pom-Pom mountings , 4 x Quadruple 0.5 inch Vickers AA guns , 8 x single 20mm Oerlikons
( RN Fan Dan says it could be only 6 sets , but the Historical record and British Battleships by Raven and Roberts of 1976 states she had 8 )
I recommend Big Blue Boy for the Pom-Pom sets , Tetra for the 0.5 inch AA guns and Infini for the Oerlikons
I don't have photos - but the artwork is accurate that I provide ( you need to extend the mainmast platform as seen here on the kit )
also tell you friend - NO GUN TUBS on the After ( rear ) Main Gun Turret
regards
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:53 pm 

The locations of the 8 (or 6?) single 20mm Oerlikons have been the subject of debate.

There are clear photos showing two on "Y" turret; as David says they were not in "tubs", but stood on circular stepped platforms. The well-known photo of her leaving Singapore shows two abaft the deckhouses abreast the mainmast* - these were in circular splinter shields. Various drawings show another pair for'd of these deckhouses, and aft of the catapult, but I'm not aware of any photographic evidence that these were in fact fitted. Another pair were forward; some references state that these were on the Conning Tower Deck level abreast the conning tower; others say they were at Foc'sle Deck level or at Shelter Deck level! The aforesaid Singapore photo shows an object at Shelter Deck level there; the copy I have is blurred, and it's difficult to make out what it is, but it looks like another circular splinter shield with an Oerlikon shield above it.

A report by a survivor (http://www.navweaps.com/index_inro/INRO_Repulse.php) lists only six Oerlikons; the author was in the after HA.DCT during the action, and states "...men who had started to congregate near No.5 Oerlikon, having come on deck through the door leading into the Captain's lobby ...", which implies that this gun was one of the ones abaft the deckhouses abreast the mainmast (probably to starboard). As on officer involved in her gunnery system, one assumes he would have known the number of guns fitted.

As David's illustration shows, the second pair of quadruple 0.5" Vickers mountings were on the extended platform partway up the mainmast, either side of the 4" LA.DCT.

* Note that these deckhouses were asymmetric, replacing the original deckhouses for the now-removed twin 4" BD mountings; atop these new deckhouses were single 4" HA guns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:43 pm 

At this time, I can confidently place the number of 20mm Oerlikon mountings the ship carried aboard on December 10, 1941, at SIX. Indisputably, four have been photographed and/or otherwise reliably documented; these were all located aft of the aircraft hangar & catapult, two of them being mounted atop turret "Y".

Less well-documented, but evident in at least one photograph taken of the ship on December 8, 1941 (as Mr. Stoneman explained previously), was another pair of Oerlikon mountings, located on the shelter deck abaft turret "B". I strongly believe these forward weapons were fitted, not only by the evidence seen in the Johore Strait image, but from other visual evidence I have been privileged to view, during my many years of study and research on this ship. There is little doubt that Repulse was intended to receive a total of eight such weapons, but I am equally certain she never received all 8 of them before she was sunk off Malaya.

<><><>
I can also state --definitively--that not all photographs taken of Repulse throughout 1941, have been published. A number of privately-held images have been found (I have been privileged to view these, myself) have only been brought forth, fairly recently. At least one of these images reveals an important detail: The absence of any Oerlikon mounting adjacent to the armored conning tower, "stuffed" between the tower and its adjacent bulwark/blast deflector--as incorporated into at least one current, popular plastic model assembly kit. In any event, even if all 8 Oerlikons had been fitted, there were NONE to be seen at the forward end of the conning tower deck.

Strangely enough, only sparse information about the ship's forward AA weapons seems to have survived Repulse's loss. Although she had boarded a significant foreign press crew for at least part of Repulse's voyage in the far east, I don't believe any photographs they captured of the ship's forward areas have survived or been recovered. My best recollection found to date, albeit very brief and of little value to my research, was by (IIRC?) her senior forward air-defense officer. This was available on the internet some years ago, but the accounting was of little value in addressing the matter. Perhaps it may still be found, for those so interested? As another "aside", I did listen to an IWM interview with a Repulse survivor, in which he reported a number of Lewis guns had been present on the forward ADP (the uppermost platform on her foretop). Again however, not of any value to the Oerlikon mountings question.

For these reasons alone, the presence of all 8 scheduled Oerlikons listed on Admiralty armament returns for Repulse actually being aboard-ship, are doubtful. Perhaps soon, new evidence will surface that will put the question to rest (six-- or eight?), one way or the other, and establish the exact positions of the #1 and #2 Oerlikons.

Cheers, modelers!

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:23 am 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5uiwy7ifpjrp ... P.png?dl=0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 am 

Morning!

Been offered a good price for the Trumpy 1/350 Repulse, (£45) is the kit itself a decent foundation to work from?

Not against scratchbuiding!

Cheers

Jens

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next