The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Repulse Aircraft
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm 

Just thought I'd post a quickie regarding Repulse's floatplanes. The ship recommissioned in 1936 after her modernization, carrying Blackburn Shark floatplanes.

A 1939-dated photograph exists, in which the ship carries Fairey Swordfish floatplanes. As she was was also delivered Blackburn-built Swordfish floatplanes in February 1941 (replacements?) manned by FAA 700 squadron Hatston, she appears to have carried Walrus aircraft only late 1941. However I am unable to confirm, either photographically or by other records at this time, when this change-over occurred.

:wave_1:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 am 

Avery Boyer wrote:
Can't wait for the Trumpeter 1/350 version! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

First "glimpse" of the new 1:350 Trumpeter Repulse is a CGI displayed at (I believe) the Nürnberg Toy event. Apparently no plastic at this time, but if that CGI is an accurate reflection of the kit's mouldings, it appears modelers will be saddled with yet another kit featuring an amalgam of different time periods and incorrect details.

If I am right, it looks like an excellent candidate for "corrective surgery" or an aftermarket replacement parts kit. Stay tuned....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 pm 

About that ship being the Tiger according to Jane's the Tiger had a midships turret. Only the R class Battle cruisers and the much later K G V,s had two forward and one aft turrets. So I would presume it is an R class Battle cruiser.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 pm 

Picture (from the NNT website) of the new NNT 1/700 1916 Renown...(due to the image size, I can only post it as a link).

http://www.nntmodell.com/shop/images/komplett.jpg

Now, who's going to be the first North American outlet to carry it?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:01 am 

I'd be interested to hear John from WEM's comments on the Trumpeter CGI rendering, since Trumpeter are working from WEM's original resin Master.

Let us hope that the CGI is just that - a mock-up and not the final version.

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:10 am 

Over on the Armorama site's ship modeling page was news of some new releases from Admiralty Model Works. Amongst the items was this:

Ultimate HMS Repulse 1941 set # 700/505
An ultimate set for the 1/700 Tamiya HMS Repulse kit. Contains 15" Turrets with Brass barrel's, set of 4" triple mounts, ships open boats, life rafts, flag decals and 2 correct deck houses for 1941 which replace part # 29 and 45 in the Tamiya Kit. Price TBD.

I may just buy the 1/700 kit after all...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:38 pm 

i will prop order this set from WEM but as i allready have assemble the main turrets i was wondering if i can use the brass barrels in some other projects i have .The kits are WEM Queen Elizabeth WW1 fit, WEM Warspite and the recently acquired WSW Royal Oak.All come with resin barrels which in all honesty is probably the only real weak point if i was to point any that is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:52 pm 

WEM Crew:

A hearty well done on your HMS Repulse set. I just received it and am very impressed. The relief etching is nice and the pre-cut lengths of railing is most welcomed. You have done it again!

Thank you and keep 'em coming.

(Thinking out loud):

Now if Admiralty Modelworks produces the upgrade parts set together with this outstanding PE set, this kit will be a real show stopper!

This truly is a great time to be a ship modeler. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:47 am 

Any hope of ever seeing this new PE set in 1/600 for us that build the Frog model? The 1/600 PE set is quite nice but the new 1/700 looks better with more details and relief etching. With all the new Repulse kits I think I'm in for a very looooooong wait :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 am 

The brass barrels will fit on any 1/700 British battleships carrying 15" guns. You might have to adjust the lenght of barrels actually going inside the turrets but that's mostly what we do anyway when we use brass barrels :big_grin: But once you've seen the turrets from Admirality modelworks you will probably ditch the Tamiya one. They are extremely well cast and detailed!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:23 pm 

Hi Sylvain,

Given the fact that we can't even get the Frog kit any longer--probably not.

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the info John. I expected that you wouldn't produce a new 1/600 fret but I took a chance :big_grin:

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 pm 
I am building the Tamiya Repulse, but i want to paint it in overall light gray instead of the black camouflage.
To all you Repulse experts, is it possible to build the kit as supplied in the overall grey scheme or do I have to remove the 8 x 20mm oerlikon mounts to make it correct? I have Raven and Roberts, but they don't mention when the black was applied over the light grey. Thanks for any responses.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 am 

In order to build Repulse in the color scheme you want you would have to remove all 20mm gun tubs and replace the aft pom pom with another triple 4" mount. You would also need to remove the HA 4" mount on the extension wings on the aft structure and replace with prototype twin 4" BD mounts. For those mounts its possible to use the 4.5" mounts from WEM and adapt them to your need (thats what I'll be doing on my 1/600 Repulse).

Hope that helps a bit. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 am 

In case you didn't notice it in the "what's new" update for May 23rd, check out Vincent c.f. Lau's awesome 1/700 Repulse, which was scratchbuilt!

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:56 pm 
Hi to all Repulse fans,

I would like to let you all know that there is an upgrade set coming for the Tamiya 1/700 kit. This will correct some errors for the 1941 as sunk fit. The set will include new deckhouses to correct this as well as funnnels, main 15" turrets, with Brass Barrels, 4" Triple secondery's and boats, and a Decal set.

If you wish to be placed on the pre order list, send an e-mail to Admiraltymodels@aol.com with Repulse Upgrade Set in the subject line.

I will also see if this set can be done for the 1/350 scale kit coming out.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm 

Scan of Repulse, from a period postcard:

Attachments:
Repulse0001.jpg
Repulse0001.jpg [ 71.66 KiB | Viewed 9095 times ]

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:36 am 

Ah, ye-e-e-s!

That was taken when the ship was quite new, still carrying her searchlights on small funnel platforms, and with both rows of scuttles amidships.

Note the ample freeboard aft, something that all three of Britain's last battlecruisers gradually lost over time as they took on ever-increasing weight.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
There have been no less than eight commercially-produced models of HMS Repulse released to date:

RESIN:
*WSW/B-Resina 1/700
*H-P 1/700

STYRENE-INJECTION
*Airfix/MPC/Frog 1/600
*Tamiya 1/700

CAST METAL:
*Superior 1/1200
*Navis/Neptune 1/1250

CARDSTOCK:
*GreMir 1/200
*Fantom 1/300
:wave_1:

You forgot the very first 1:700 Repulse, which came from IHP back in 1994. It was IHP's first complete kit and got good reviews for the time. I worked hard to make the patterns and make the kit a reality. It would be nice to be remembered for that, if you know what I mean. A review of IHP's Repulse is on this website.

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:55 pm 

Mike@IHP wrote:
You forgot the very first 1:700 Repulse, which came from IHP back in 1994. It was IHP's first complete kit and got good reviews for the time. I worked hard to make the patterns and make the kit a reality. It would be nice to be remembered for that, if you know what I mean. A review of IHP's Repulse is on this website.

Mike Bartel
IHP

You also forgot the very nicely done 1:700 metal models from Skytrex of both ships (1941 Repulse, 1943 Renown).

Mike Bartel
IHP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next