The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 am 

Hi, Mike

Thank you for making me aware of these. I should make it clear that I did not forget them, I simply was not aware of them when I first wrote. I have now added both the IHP (thanks also for the link!) and Skytrex models, after briefly reviewing internet-sourced information for each of them.

I deliberately worded my intro to include "...no less than...", just to cover for this sort of thing, as well as accomodating future adjustments (which may occur next with Trumpeter's pending release).

:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
Hi, Mike

Thank you for making me aware of these. I should make it clear that I did not forget them, I simply was not aware of them when I first wrote. I have now added both the IHP (thanks also for the link!) and Skytrex models, after briefly reviewing internet-sourced information for each of them.

I deliberately worded my intro to include "...no less than...", just to cover for this sort of thing, as well as accomodating future adjustments (which may occur next with Trumpeter's pending release).

:wave_1:

No problem. :smallsmile: The morale is that there seem to be more models of these ships than anyone ever noticed and now they are getting more attention from the injection plastic makers. I myself am now looking forward to that Pitroad 1:700 Renown!

Mike Bartel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 am 

Here's another photo of Repulse taken not long after she was launched

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2170/3 ... 175236.jpg

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image too wide, so cannot use image code and have to leave as link.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:59 pm 

Dave Martin wrote:
Here's another photo of Repulse taken not long after she was launched

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2170/3 ... 175236.jpg

That is a great picture.

Speaking of pictures, I've noticed HLJ has a picture of the new Trumpeter Repulse up here. If you click on the picture, it will enlarge, so you can see more details.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:23 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:

Speaking of pictures, I've noticed HLJ has a picture of the new Trumpeter Repulse up here. If you click on the picture, it will enlarge, so you can see more details.

It looks like trumpeter is making noticeable progress towards grasping the concept of the hawse hole. :big_grin:

And yes, 4 inch AA guns. Maybe now someone will make a after-market replacement that I can also use on my 1921 Hood.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:07 pm 

Stevens has listed the Repulse as a May 2009 release.

Here's some more shots of the sisters - again from an ebay post card wins - starting with Repulse just out of refit in 1936:

Attachments:
File comment: Repulse - 1936
HMSRepulse1936.jpg
HMSRepulse1936.jpg [ 73.66 KiB | Viewed 8285 times ]
File comment: Renown
HMSRenownEarly.jpg
HMSRenownEarly.jpg [ 83.93 KiB | Viewed 8231 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

More. First Renown:
Attachment:
Renown_011509a.jpg
Renown_011509a.jpg [ 101.46 KiB | Viewed 8217 times ]
Attachment:
Renown_011509c.jpg
Renown_011509c.jpg [ 139.91 KiB | Viewed 8202 times ]
Attachment:
Renown_011509b.jpg
Renown_011509b.jpg [ 124.75 KiB | Viewed 8210 times ]

And then Repulse:

Attachments:
Repulse_011509.jpg
Repulse_011509.jpg [ 102.89 KiB | Viewed 8272 times ]

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 pm 

Hi guys,

Just an update on the Trumpy/Pit Road 1942 Renown kit. I e-mailed them about the dating of the kit since the sample photos (shown in the thread in the main forum) showed the ship in her 1943 fit.

I got a reply from Pit Road which said that when the sample was being assembled the "1942 parts" were "insufficient" so it was done as 1943. This implies that the kit will give you a choice, which for many I'm sure is great news.

So...no worries about incorrect dating or inappropriate painting instructions for the fit of the kit...... :thumbs_up_1:

We can all just go back to a state of helpless anticipation... :please:

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 am 

In the new Model Art #31 there are a couple of pages of the Renown in her Bismarck chase fit. The kit they used is the new Trumpeter/Pitroad 1/700 Renown. It must be available in Japan, so it is just a matter of time when it will be released abroad.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm 

Some nice photos of Repulse on this site, including some which I haven't seen before.

http://www.toysoutofthepram.com/gallery ... =16&pos=11

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 am 

This is my Tamiya model of the Repulse, this is my first model I have done of a boat of any kind, had to scratch build the rear gun deck and used PE parts for small pieces, quite happy with the outcome considering it was my first ship, starting on a type 42 Destroyer with the experiences I gained from building the Tamiya kit

Attachments:
Repulse%20under%20steam.jpg
Repulse%20under%20steam.jpg [ 42.17 KiB | Viewed 8255 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 pm 

Beautifully done!! :thumbs_up_1:

You realize your next step is to do Renown when she comes out in July and Hood in 1/700 to get your "triple whammy" of the three most beautiful BC's ever.... :big_grin:

Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:17 pm 

Is it correct that Trumpeter have now released their HMS Repulse 1941.

And if so, being new to modeling, any suggestions on 'best' place to buy?

TIA

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:22 pm 

Trumpeter's 1/350 Repulse has indeed been released. However, not all sellers have yet to receive it due to its "newness", so it's hard to say where is the cheapest place. Generally, shops from Asia sell them the cheapest, but require higher shipping costs, whereas North American or European shops sell them with higher base pricing and lower shipping.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 am 

The first online review of Trumpeter's 1/350 Repulse kit has been published on cybermodeler -

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 5312.shtml

No mention is made of any inaccuracies concerning the details of the ship as depicted in 1941.

Also, I am not sure if there is enough included PE to do all of the ship's railings.

I have the kit in my stash but have not done a detailed check.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:58 am 

Well, he alludes to the fact he's not an expert on the class:

Cybermodeler wrote:
While I am no naval combatant expert, from what I can glean from photos and various web sources, the kit appears to be representative of its configuration in its final months of service.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 am 

In case you missed it, I'm more a Hood kind of guy and know very little about Repulse & Renown. However, the overall quality of the kit doesn't really impress me. It is interesting to see they have learned from their Hood experience and didn't add that ridge under the bolts of the turret roof armour. Even though those bolts are recessed on all Mk I 15" turrets and cannot really be seen on 1/350 scale. Did they even bother to look at the photographs? Deck details look so-so. Looks a bit pale compared to the IJN kits issued lately. The Walrus looks nice though.

Beter pics here

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:27 pm 

Dave Martin wrote:
Also, I am not sure if there is enough included PE to do all of the ship's railings.

Dave

Sorry if you know this already, but the kit comes with two of the railing fret.

And I would also like to restate my hatred for their molded-with-shield 20mm.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 pm 

When completed, does anyone know what shade of grey (#1, #2, etc) Renown was wearing? A photo in Robert's Battlecruisers book appear to show a darker color, but I'm not sure if that's really the color or if it's the photos.

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: New Information
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 am 

I am now certain that the ship never carried 20mm "waist" guns (just abaft the catapult) on its upperdeck. After careful examination of photographs and reliable non-photographic evidence to the contrary, the existence of any 20mm guns in waist locations has been disproven. Modelers should omit these from their builds.

On a similar tack, I am now confident that there were precisely 8 single 20mm gun positions fitted, 4 aft and 4 forward.

Dan :smallsmile:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next