The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm 

Can I ask respectfully ( I want to buy the Trumpeter HMS Repulse 1/350 next month ) - so I need to ask a question , please

who makes the best aftermarket wood deck for this ship , please ?

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:15 pm 

I like the Woodhunter deck because it has planking on B gun deck. I haven't used it yet. I bought the Admiralty Modelworks rear deckhouse correction set. The kit is not well moulded (fit) wise.
hth jc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 pm 

Thank you !

Yeah , I spotted a few reviews - on the Repulse especially the faults ( open tunnel ) on the rear superstructure -
and the non-existent gun tubs on the rear turret top that Trumpeter decided to fit on to X Gun Turret

the one I can't get over is the single bracket support for each propeller shaft , when each shaft had two supports

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:16 pm 

Check out Andrew F build in the gallery when the kit first came out he points out must of the faults. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
hth jc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

JCRAY wrote:
Check out Andrew F build in the gallery when the kit first came out he points out must of the faults. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
hth jc

You can find a link on the first page (2nd post) in this topic.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 am 

Thank you very much , much appreciated

just an update to say I ended up buying the ArtWox Wooden Deck set ( and also as you get a free anchor chain )

Last edited by 73north on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am 

JCRAY wrote:
I like the Woodhunter deck because it has planking on B gun deck. I haven't used it yet. I bought the Admiralty Modelworks rear deckhouse correction set. The kit is not well moulded (fit) wise.
hth jc

Note to modelers: HMS Repulse had NO WOOD PLANKING fitted to the shelter level abaft main turret B. If a veneer is included in a wooden deck set for this area, and the cost is increased because of this, use your own discretion. I have no stake in the matter of deck veneers whatsoever, so I am completely unfamiliar with their brand variables. I only step in here, to alert those buying a particular veneer set, simply because of its inclusion of that particular component.

FWIW,

--Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

Hi
Can I ask some advice for modelling help ??

I plan to use these 1/350 NEW Shapeways 15 inch Turrets for the Trumpeter HMS Repulse Kit ( made by Micro Master ) - and have a query ?
( 1 ) I plan to use to replace the plastic 15 inch Metal Gun Barrels with metal barrels by Master of Poland -
and use the Trumpeter kit attachments from the old Trumpeter underside of the Turret ( see red arrows - in the photo ) to attach to the Shapeways Turret underside

What is the best way of getting the kit plastic gun barrels ( with Metal Gun Barrels attached at the end ) to be elevated ?

would I be best using the Trumpeter Turret ' Bottom ' front part ( minus the area to the right of the green area marked on the bottom photo )
to keep the Gun Barrels from moving ? - or do I not need them with the Kit Barbette being underneath ??

is there any tips or tricks I need to be aware of ?

for the record - I am VERY impressed with these new Turrets , the extra work to make them fit to the existing Kit Barbettes
will be well worth it , and apologies if the photos are HUGE , its the new photo host , imgur , I am still getting used to it !

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm 

you already have attachments on either side of the gun barrel holes in the turret. are the guns going to be glued elevated or be adjustable?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am 

I planned on them being able to be manually elevated or be able to be fixed at a flat , horizontal angle .
I definitely don't want to glue them to the Turret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 am 

sit a plastic rod that will hold the metal barrels into those attachments then glue 2 pieces of plastic on centerline of each gun port to hold the plastic rod in place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm 

I thought I would share a potentially different idea for using the existing Trumpeter Display Base Stand -
I got the Trumpeter ' Dry Dock ' Display Stand coverted to accept 2 Silver Ship Pedestals for the 1/350 HMS Repulse Model
- the Plastic Kit Display Stand was strengthened underneath with 2 Aluminium Supports to transfer the weight of the completed Model to the ground -
rather than the Kit display stand plastic - and 2 proper steel screws and washers to fix the Model to the stand
maybe of some interest ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Ship-D ... 3446606152?

These are the ones that I bought on Ebay , from the same seller , but there are others on ebay as well ( search 1/350 Pedestals Ship )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21