The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:22 pm 

Amagi battlecruiser class kits (updated 10/9/2018)

1/700

2011 Fujimi issued

Amagi, 1923-24
Item #401041, SWM (EX) – 41, projected as-designed configuration, released March, 2011
Item #401089, SWM (EX) – SP8, projected as-designed configuration, DX version with main gun brass barrels released August, 2011
Item #432250, SWM (EX) – 46, EX-1, projected as-designed configuration, Special version with photo etch parts included, released October, 2018

Akagi, 1923-24
Item #401164, SWM (EX) – 41, projected as-designed configuration, released March, 2012
Item #401095, SWM (EX) – SP18, projected as-designed configuration, DX version with main gun brass barrels released March, 2013

Gallery (added 7-5-2018)

Amagi built by Kostas Katseas: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm
Amagi from Won-hui Lee: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Akagi kitbash from Qiao Liang: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So, here's the biggest thing.

We know there were two in build, Kaga and Tosa. Kaga was saved from the scrapyard by the death of the Amagi, and became one of the carriers with the largest capacity in the war.

We know they were a planned improved Nagato, with 5T2 16" L/45 main battery.

What else do we have? Anybody got images, writeups, information? I'm considering a build, myself, so I'm trying to get as informed as possible.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thread renamed to include Amagi due to new Fujimi release

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:25 pm 

Tosa's hull was essentially finished and launched, and some battleship superstructure was in place when order came down to stop construction pending Washington Treaty negotiations. While the treaty negotiations were taking place, she was fitted with a small temporary wooden wheel house on top of her conning tower, plus a small signaling mast, apparently to allow her to have some degree of navigation capability, probably under tow. She was also fitted with a small temporary funnel to allow her to run some of her boilers to preserve the installed equipment through the winter and provide heating to the caretaker crew. When the treaty was finalized, it was decided to expend her as a munition test target. These munition tests directly shaped IJN view of battleship protection that would later be incorporated into the Yamato. She was sunk in Tosa bay (where else) during target practice in 1924.

Tosa class is the only Japanese other battleship design besides the Yamato to exhibit the wavy sheerline that is characteristic of other types of Japanese warships during the interwar period. Tosa class is also the only flush decked Japanese dreadnought type battleship.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:00 pm 

My main wonder is, where was that fifth turret planned to be... And I wonder if there are images out there of the Tosa. I really want to take a look at her.

It's part of my whole love of what-if.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:48 pm 

The fifth turret is situated right abft the single funnel, somwhat like the arrangement in British 13.5" dreadnoughts like the Orion or Iron Duke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm 

There are several photos and plans of Tosa/Kaga as launched and configured. Most are in the Fukui books. Let's see if I can figure how to post the 2 pics I have.

OK, Kaga as launched

Attachments:
Kaga after launching, Kawasaki, Kobe, 11-17-1921.jpg
Kaga after launching, Kawasaki, Kobe, 11-17-1921.jpg [ 121.92 KiB | Viewed 15690 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:06 pm 

Tosa after launching

Attachments:
Tosa as launched.jpg
Tosa as launched.jpg [ 57.34 KiB | Viewed 15714 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:04 pm 

Alright, that answers that, about the turret. I'm actually considering a model of Kaga, as a battleship.

Next question - do we have any producers who manufacture Kaga in her early years, with the double flight deck? That would have the most likely replication of her hull line, that I can think of. I know in the revision stage they lengthened her hull, and that renders the standard Kaga models for the moment lower priority. I know there's one Japanese company that produces a Tosa, of rather mediocre grade (seen images), but it's in resin.

Also - Is there any idea of what the bridge pagoda might have looked like? In my case, I will probably use the Nagato bridge tower. I've heard the stack should be strait, conveniently if I recall, Nagato had one, in addition to her snaked stack.

Yes, I have every intent of cannibalizing a 1/700 Nagato for the majority of my parts necessity in this endeavour. The rest will probably be a Pit-road set of equipment. Does anybody know how many of the 16" turrets they put in those?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm 

Tosa's pagoda mast would have been a 6 legged hexapod very similar to those on the Nagato. Nagato was completed with 2 straight, vertical stacks. The S shaped bent forestack was a later modification to keep the pagoda mast clear of smoke. Tosa's original design featured a single straight stack, located at the same place where Nagato's original forestack was. But in Tosa's case it was not completely vertical even in the initial design. Instead is leaned back at about 10 degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:44 pm 

Tosa class plan drawing

Attachments:
Tosa, Line Drawings.jpg
Tosa, Line Drawings.jpg [ 162.72 KiB | Viewed 15960 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm 

Tosa overhead after launch

Attachments:
Tosa Overhead looking forward.jpg
Tosa Overhead looking forward.jpg [ 227.04 KiB | Viewed 15681 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm 

Dear Boys & Girls, I have a partially built 1/350 scratchbuilt model of an Amagi class battlecruiser. I made this model from plasticard about 14 years ago, but I never finished it. From what I can remember, I had made everything except the main twin 16" turrets, their barrels, the AA guns, the searchlights and the ship's boats. It was an exercise in no cost (except for time) modelmaking, so I wonder if any of you out there can recommend some low-cost components to help me finish the model?

Should I post some pictures of the model here, is anyone is interested? The hull is waterline, about 29" long or 720mm long. Even though I had never finished the model, it had got me 2 jobs and 2 offered jobs as a full time professional modelmaker in the past 11 years.

By the way, the deck line isn't as wavy as the Tosa/Kaga, but there is a definite rise in sheer abreast the fore-funnel......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:18 pm 

Between the new Hasegawa, Veteran, and other accessory sets, there should be more than enough to finish off your Amagi!

Here are some of the Hasegawa sets:
http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGQG18
http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGQG19

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:47 am 

Sauragnmon wrote:
Alright, that answers that, about the turret. I'm actually considering a model of Kaga, as a battleship.

Next question - do we have any producers who manufacture Kaga in her early years, with the double flight deck? That would have the most likely replication of her hull line, that I can think of. I know in the revision stage they lengthened her hull, and that renders the standard Kaga models for the moment lower priority.

Hi! Pitroad makes a 2-deck Kaga, but it is resin and very pricey---something like 18500 JPY. As you note, the hull was lengthened. Those changes are clearly described in the new Namiki Shobo book on IJN battleships and battlecruisers (presumably where Dan K <hi!> sourced his lovely drawing from).

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:34 am 

IMHO, the 16" turrets from the 1/350 Hasegawa Nagato/Mutsu would be appropriate to finish Amagi. Maybe Hasegawa customer service will accomodate you for extra turret. And yes, please post the pics.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 am 

Probably not for the Amagi in the original configuration. The 16" turrets from Hasagawa reflects the major modernization done in the mid 1930s to the turret sides, faceplate and roof to accommodate the increase in elevation. The original 8-8 turrets looked quite different with more roundly curving sides, lower face plate, and smoother roof, an much smaller range finder bulge.

There were also some sources that claim Amagi was destined to receive 50 caliber 16" guns, not the 45 caliber weapons in the Nagato and Tosa.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 am 

But they can certainly be reworked, no?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:03 pm 

Dan K wrote:
But they can certainly be reworked, no?

Not easily. You will have to lower the turret roof, get rid of the existing steps between the overlapping roof plates and scribe a new one at a different location, round out the turret side wall since during the modernazation the Japanese made the turret slightly narrower by making the side wall straighter. You will also have to rework the gun barrel embrasure because in the original turret the embrasure is a hole completely inside the turret face plate, post modification it became a slot in the turret face plate that opens on the top. It would probably be easier to scratch build the turret than to modify the Hasagawa turrets to accurately reflect original 8-8 turret.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm 

You're right. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:10 pm 

Well, I never knew that about the original turrets - thanks for the info, Chuck, you're a wealth of information as always.

I actually started work on my own Amagi, 1/700 scale - Mirage Ocean's kit (Thanks Gernot!) - but I don't face the turret design problem, as I'm What-Iffing the model into service, as if Japan had actually built them. I figure that should provide a significant difference overall.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 pm 

Some images of my incomplete/abortive 1/350 scratchbuilt Amagi......
Attachment:
Amagi 021.JPG
Amagi 021.JPG [ 139.37 KiB | Viewed 15619 times ]

Attachment:
Amagi 004.JPG
Amagi 004.JPG [ 140.29 KiB | Viewed 15605 times ]

Attachment:
Amagi 005.JPG
Amagi 005.JPG [ 147.83 KiB | Viewed 15602 times ]

I've just taken these pictures just now, but I'm no photographer. Jim Baumann took some pictures of this model several years ago......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next