The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:02 pm 
They should be removed and replaced. It can be done, I think. Where the hull was lengthened, if you have that info?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 pm 

ops that was me :)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:19 pm 

Im scared of the scratchbuilding work required for that ! As to where the exactly the hull was extended, sorry I dont know that but I guess somewhere in the bow era. Thats not a problem I repeat as you own to keep the extended hull cause of the general tendency to extend the hull on modernize battleships in the 1930's.

All the Japanese battleships had extended hull by mid 1930's.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 am 

While the addition of clipper bows added to overall length, it was the addition to the stern that was the major component. Akagi gained 39' at the WL, Kaga gained 41', the Nagatos gained 26', Ise/Hyuga gained 25', Fuso/Yamashiro gained 24", and the Kongos gained 61' at the WL. I'm citing Jentschura.

Last edited by Dan K on Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:45 am 

Nice, I didn't know where exactly the hull was extended, thanks for the information Dan :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 pm 

A member of this board has a completed and seascaped 1:700 Amagi up for sale on Ebay. Beautiful work:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:21 pm 

Thx for the heads-up. Most impressive build and seascape. Now, who's work does this remind you of? :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 pm 

Will there ever be a Tosa in plastic?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:51 pm 

Bill Clarke wrote:
Will there ever be a Tosa in plastic?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 am 

The battlecruiser IJN Akagi in 1/700 is out now in a special edition with brass metal barrels for the main guns:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10214641
Enjoy !

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:40 pm 

Hopefully the No. 13 BB (8x18-inch guns) will be after Tosa.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm 

Dear Boys and Girls, have any of you bought this new Model Graphix title? Is it any good please?

http://www.hlj.com/product/mdg23118

Attachment:
Model Grafix Hachi-Hachi modelling.......jpg
Model Grafix Hachi-Hachi modelling.......jpg [ 38.11 KiB | Viewed 3343 times ]

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 pm 

Caravellarella
Posted this on Nagato/Mutsu a few days ago:

Did choose that shipthread as it was the only shipclass actually built.

Recieved my example of The "Hachi-Hachi" Fleet Plan Reconstructing Japanese Superdreadnoughts Between the Wars 1/700. Nice photos, some of the ships has been featured in Navy Yard before.
It includes Nagato, Tosa, Amagi, Kii, 13class, Hiraga design X and a few US ships.
Most of the classes are represented by several different variants including WW2 variants.

If one compares this book with the HachiHachi book of the real ships, it differs in some ways, first it has no quadruple turreted variants, which is sad as there are lots of them in the other book.

On the other hand there are also modernized variants of Amagi class and 13 class.
The Hiraga replacements for Kongo are included.
A five turreted Nagato variant, There are also triple turreted variants (no plans of these in the Hachi Hachi book.

Also in the kit book there are ships which has the secondary arnament in turrets instead of casemates.

Some of the ships are conversions others are scratchbuilt and a few out of the box.
As I do not understand Japanese I have no idea of this triple turreted variants /or with secondary arnaments in turrets existed in reality. I do not know if they are mentioned in the text in the book about the real ships.
The US ships of the same era are also included in limited numbers.

Nevertheless I am using the book as inspiration, for this it is sufficient. Maybe some other member who speaks japanese can provide more information.

New info not in the Nagato thread:

I find lots of inspiration, I recommend it as a basis for modelling. But as my comments above suggests I do not know if for example the triple variants of the ships existed or the ships with secondary arnaments in turrets, but they look good at least.
I am not in the possesion of the relatively new books of Nagato from AJ press so if they were a five turreted variant in the various designplans I do not know.
For a few years ago I did a few prints from the Hiraga archive (from the internet) but there were only double or quadturreted versions, but this was only random selection not any systematical search.
So my books or prints from the Hiraga archives does so far not indicate tripleturreted variants at all.
So if it is artistic freedom I do not know. I like personally the modernized WW2 versions of the ships, as the 1920 versions are sort of the same breed, but it is more individual how the modernized ships look.

But one thing I can say -they look plausible and has both overviews and detailphotos, the buildprocess are not documented in the pictures only the finished models.
I mean there are no photos of an unpinted model where the modifications are shown, if the hulls are lengthened, if for example a Nagatomodel from 1944 has been used to modify the Amagiships superstructure this of course might be in the text. It is reasonable also to assume that the scratchbuilt ships at least partly are made from other ships, turrets, guns, superstructure etc.
No plans to help either.

But for me who does not speak Japanese it is more to look at the sharp pictures and make an educated?guess.

But I am satisfied with the book, the only disappointment was that I expected a few of the Quadrupleturreted variants. They have been seen both on this forum and is frequent among Hiragas archive and the book about the HachiHachifleet. If they had been there it would have been nice.

Maybe some members with more experience and better archives can help more

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

Dear gnorfen, thank you for such a comprehensive reply.

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:24 pm 

This publication has been tempting me, but I've been wary of following through on a purchase as I've felt recently burned by one of Navy Yard/Model Graphix's special publications.

Purchased "The World of Unfamiliar Ships …….. Model Graphix 2013, ISBN 978-4-499-23100-8, only to find that each build featured is drawn from back issues of Navy Yard. So I'm wary of investing $40 in this instance to repeat that experience, since I have all back issues of Navy Yard.

So thanks for posting this extensive set of comments. You say that "some" photos are from back issues of Navy Yard... is it possible to be more exact about that? Are you seeing any examples that have not been included in Navy Yard?

And can you give us a citation of the "Hachi hachi book of the real ships" ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:08 am 

D-Boy:

I have found Atago 1944 (Amagi class) in Navy Yard 17 and Hiraga class X (Kongo Replacement) in Navy Yard 16.
The pictures are mostly the same but are in many cases in different sizes. These are the only issues of Navy Yard I have so I do not know if they are more duplicates. I have put this issues in the list below. Feel free to make completions if you ór others know more duplicates.

The english title of the real ships book are
The battleships and Battlecruisers of the Hachi-Hachi fleet , by Kojinsha
See here:
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJS81504/Nav
I do not how to post a link but I attached the adress as of today.
This book is highly recommended, with its large amount of plans in 1:700 scale both on double/quadrupleturreted versions, several colour pages of the ships as how they would have looked.
Also plans of details.
This book has been mentioned before by others and myself.

Can you specify what you would like to know about this book

Back to the book about finished ships in 1:700
It is some general pages with info and pictures about the real ships also
Following 1:700 ships are covered, about 2-4 pages each in general, :
Nagato 1920 (Conv Aoshima)
Nagato 1933 (Aoshima)
Nagato 1944 (Aoshima)
Mutsu variation plan (5 turreted) Conv Aoshima
Mutsu 1937 (Fujimi)
Mutsu 1941 (Fujimi)
Tosa (Fullscratch)
Amagi (Fujimi)
Takao (early vers, combined funnel) Conv Amagi Fujimi
Akagi 1941, Bent forefunnel as Nagato and second funnel still there Otherwise pagoda structure etc, Conv Fujimi
Atago 1944 (single funnel as Nagato of similar year) Conv Fujimi (Navy Yard 17)
Kii 1920s twin raked funnels, secondary turrets 4 twin each side as in KGV in different levels Conv Fujimi
Suruga 1920s 4xtriple turrets, 4 twin secondary turrets each side, same level, Single funnel listed under Kiiclass, Conv Fujimi
13 class Takachiho 1920s Early4xtriple turrets 16 inch casemated sec turrets Full scratch
13 class Fuji 1920s 8x18 twin turrets sec casemates Full scratch
13 class Shirane 1941 8x18 Twins, sec in casemates and modern pagodastructure, aircraft facilities Full scratch
This last ship I like a lot, strangely the IHP kit seems not have been used for the 13 class ships. At least the hull would help a lot.
Hiraga Design X 2x3 2x2 16 inch guns Full scratch (Navy Yard 16)

A little about US counterparts (2 pages each):
USS Maryland (Pit Road)
USS South Dakota 4x3 triple Turrets (IHP resin kit)
USS Lexington as battlecruiser 3 pages Full scratch
There are some pictures of other models of the same era so the book contains more info than this , but this is the main subjects. Also other info between the models. 96 numbered pages so it is about the same size as the Navy Yard, or actually a few pages less than my two issues of NY.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 am 

gnorfen wrote:
D-Boy:

I have found Atago 1944 (Amagi class) in Navy Yard 17 and Hiraga class X (Kongo Replacement) in Navy Yard 16.
The pictures are mostly the same but are in many cases in different sizes. These are the only issues of Navy Yard I have so I do not know if they are more duplicates. I have put this issues in the list below. Feel free to make completions if you ór others know more duplicates.

There are some pictures of other models of the same era so the book contains more info than this , but this is the main subjects. Also other info between the models. 96 numbered pages so it is about the same size as the Navy Yard, or actually a few pages less than my two issues of NY.

This is very helpful. I will go through my issues of Navy Yard and make a comparison with the comprehensive list you've made here. Very helpful!

And welcome to the board, as well!

D-Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 am 

Digging up an ancient thread...

Did Fujimi cancel their rumored 1/700 Tosa?

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:06 am 
Or is it know wether it is shedualed to be 2015, 2016 or onwards?

Kind regards,
Henk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:47 am 

Attachment:
File comment: I don't know is it correct or not
11312600_1065982656762544_1387252286899901725_o.jpg
11312600_1065982656762544_1387252286899901725_o.jpg [ 21.69 KiB | Viewed 2731 times ]
Atma wrote:
My WWII version of IJN Amagi is also something like that, cannibalising Fujimi's IJN Nagato/IJN Mutsu and IJN Ise parts.
Bridge from IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu and turrets.
Funnel and AA cradles from IJN Ise.

This is a picture of the Amagi in 1944 configuration from facebook. I think it is from a video game:

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Last edited by Aop Aur on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next