The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:19 am 

There was a trend towards trunked single funnels at the end of WWI. Note the Germans designs for successors to the Derfflinger class battlecruiser and Bayern class battleship all feature engineering layout similar to their predecessors, but with boiler uptake trunked into a single funnel. So I wouldn't be surprised if Amagi class followed the same trend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 am 

On the Hiraga archives there is an IJN Amagi desing with a single large funnel and a slight different arrangements for the searchlights, but maybe that was a modification for the last two pairs of the IJN Amagi class, IJN Atago and IJN Takao.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am 

Some more informations, during IJN Nagato trials the apparent problem of her number 1# funnel shadowing her bridge was evident, also the searchlights in her main pagoda where obscured by the smoke and unable to illuminate the target. A permanent sollution was need it but it was unable to be implemented the already advanced IJN Mutsu and in the two IJN Tosa class battleships and the two(from a 4 tottal) IJN Amagi class under the early stages of construction ,cause the solution of a single large funnel required a slight different re-arrangement of the boilers. So this was able to be implement only in the last two IJN Amagi class battlecuisers, IJN Atago and IJN Takao.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:11 am 
Federico!!! Many thanks for this great find! This is the book I've been waiting for soooo long :) Any chance you might share here some of that great CG? :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:24 am 

Federico wrote:
There is a nice book from Kojinsha about all projected battleships and battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet program, thus including Tosa/Amagi/Kii and No. 13 classes.
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJS81504
It's in japanese of course but it's stuffed with excellent CG renders of all ships and with different design variants (I was particularly impressed by early proposals for No.13 class with quadruple 406 mm turrets!). There are also many good drawings both of the ships and of some equipment like turrets, pagoda masts and rangefinders, mostly in 1/700. I would definitely recommend it to any Amagi/Tosa fan, especially if (like me :smallsmile: ) you're building your long awaited Amagi!

:wave_1:

Hi Federico, does it happen you have the ISBN for ti? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:51 am 

I just recieve a notice from Hobby Link that the book is available :woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:59 am 

Atma wrote:
I just recieve a notice from Hobby Link that the book is available :woo_hoo:

That's odd Atma; I placed an order for a copy yesterday and I have to wait 4 - 6 weeks before they get stock in......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Maybe it's Maybelline..............

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 am 

That time requirement is only hypothetical. most of the time it takes less than two weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:46 am 

Atma wrote:
That time requirement is only hypothetical. most of the time it takes less than two weeks.

Agreed - have always had very good luck with short-cutting the "back-ordered" time at HLJ.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 am 

The book was out of stock and with the tag "4-6 weeks" but it only took half week to receive the notification that my ordered item was in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:14 pm 

Atma wrote:
The book was out of stock and with the tag "4-6 weeks" but it only took half week to receive the notification that my ordered item was in stock.

In that case Atma; I cannot wait to receive my copy just to see how far-out my scratchbuilt Amagi model really is......

Terry (Caravellarella)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:12 am 
Mine is underway as well! I've order on the 20th :), so it took only 4 days.

CHeers,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:56 am 

This one seems interesting, too: does anyone have further info?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B8%9D%E5%9B%BD%E6%B5%B7%E8%BB%8D%E3%81%AE%E7%A4%8E-%E5%85%AB%E5%85%AB%E8%89%A6%E9%9A%8A%E8%A8%88%E7%94%BB-%E6%AD%B4%E5%8F%B2%E7%BE%A4%E5%83%8F%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA-%E5%AD%A6%E7%A0%94%E3%83%91%E3%83%96%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0/dp/4056063745

PS: Merry Crhistmas!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:40 pm 

This one Stefano, is for the Imeprial Japanese battleships operations during the last 2 years of war(1944 and 1945).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 pm 

Atma wrote:
On the Hiraga archives there is an IJN Amagi desing with a single large funnel and a slight different arrangements for the searchlights, but maybe that was a modification for the last two pairs of the IJN Amagi class, IJN Atago and IJN Takao.

Scrap that, after some more research that was a IJN Kii class design and not an IJN Amagi, surprisingly those two classes where almost identical.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 am 

WOW. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:
I just recieved my copy of "Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet", this book is amazing, great pictures for early IJN Nagato class and IJN Tosa class underconstruction.
This book is perhaps the best reference for early IJN Nagato class before the turned funnel. Great comparison for IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato differences.
Great diagrams for the main turrets, Pagodas, funnels and main masts for all the Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet.
All the Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet from IJN Nagato to the Number 13 class with their double turrets 41 cm and 46 cm even the monstrous quadruple 41 cm turrets with all the possible variations(From 3 turrets to 6 turrets and 2 funnels to a single large "fused" funnel).
In the book there is one class I never heard before, Number 11 class with the name IJN Suruga and IJN Oumi(Omi).
Highly recommended book :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 am 

Atma wrote:
WOW. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:
I just recieved my copy of "Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet", this book is amazing, great pictures for early IJN Nagato class and IJN Tosa class underconstruction.
This book is perhaps the best reference for early IJN Nagato class before the turned funnel. Great comparison for IJN Mutsu and IJN Nagato differences.
Great diagrams for the main turrets, Pagodas, funnels and main masts for all the Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet.
All the Battleships and Battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet from IJN Nagato to the Number 13 class with their double turrets 41 cm and 46 cm even the monstrous quadruple 41 cm turrets with all the possible variations(From 3 turrets to 6 turrets and 2 funnels to a single large "fused" funnel).
In the book there is one class I never heard before, Number 11 class with the name IJN Suruga and IJN Oumi(Omi).
Highly recommended book :thumbs_up_1:

Lucky you Atma, they won't send my ordered copy as they're out of stock again :(

Terry (Caravellarella)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 am 

Caravellarella wrote:
Lucky you Atma, they won't send my ordered copy as they're out of stock again :(

Terry (Caravellarella)

Well it doesn't matter if it is out of stock, they will probably restock in a few days if you ordered. When I order it my self it was also out of stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 am 

I will post later some pictures scanned from the book, especially the Number 11 class(IJN Suruga class).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 am 

Stefano wrote:
Federico wrote:
There is a nice book from Kojinsha about all projected battleships and battlecruisers of the 8-8 fleet program, thus including Tosa/Amagi/Kii and No. 13 classes.
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJS81504
It's in japanese of course but it's stuffed with excellent CG renders of all ships and with different design variants (I was particularly impressed by early proposals for No.13 class with quadruple 406 mm turrets!). There are also many good drawings both of the ships and of some equipment like turrets, pagoda masts and rangefinders, mostly in 1/700. I would definitely recommend it to any Amagi/Tosa fan, especially if (like me :smallsmile: ) you're building your long awaited Amagi!

Hi Federico, does it happen you have the ISBN for ti? Thanks!

Hi all,

sorry for the long silence but I was a bit busy during Christmas holidays.. I'm happy that this book is meeting with so much interest! Stefano, I'll check the ISBN tonight at home but as you can see from the others' posts the easiest thing in my opinion is to order it via HLJ.
I'm sorry I can't post pictures, I don't have a scanner at home but I see that Atma is probably going to post some..
This book is excellent for drawings etc. but it's a pity we can't read the text because there are basically no publications in english about the 8-8 fleet, apart some mentions in the usual Breyer's Battleships/Battlecruisers and some others.. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next