The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 am 

"The South Dakota pushed the Standard Type concept too far. Standard Type worked so long as one
was constrained in dimensions, displacement and cost, but as soon as
designs went essentially unlimited, something new should have been done.

As a result, the South Dakota is as disappointing as the Colorado is
satisfying."

After reading an article in Battleship vs Battleship forum I see that IJN Tosa and IJN Kii class where superior in armor scheme compared to USS South Dakota, same with IJN Amagi class compared to USS Lexington class.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm 

The Ishibashi book does have illustrations of these classes. They are very large so, and things are a bit busy, so it might be some time before I could scan them.

I did post the Tosa class line drawing on p1 of the thread. Here is the builder's model

Attachments:
Tosa class builders model 1small.jpg
Tosa class builders model 1small.jpg [ 105.71 KiB | Viewed 2843 times ]
Tosa class builders model 2small.jpg
Tosa class builders model 2small.jpg [ 121.87 KiB | Viewed 2843 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 pm 

Im wondering if the builders model still survive. And I notice that each of the main turrets have their own rangefinder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:06 am 

Could the IJN Amagi pagoda be used for a IJN Tosa class battleship ? It seems exactly the same as a IJN Tosa class pagoda, from the pictures of builders model Dan posted.

Edit: I just got informed that the new IJN Amagi from Frujimi in 1/700 is the best selling ship subject at the moment in Japanese market(together with the new IJN Akagi again from Fujimi in 1/700). :cool_2:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am 

Timmy C wrote:
J-Modelworks has posted close-ups of some of the parts of the new Fujimi kit:
http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-224.html

My kit arrived at my office today, via hlj. Continuing great service from the company, and feel somewhat fortunate that the kit made it to me from Japan, given recent events there. HLJ is up and running, and I will say their customer communication over the weekend of the earthquake/tsunami was beyond any expectations. With offices and shipping center rocked by the quake, they reached out to customers very quickly.

Photos at above link are a great reference point, but let me add a few additional remarks. I've never been a big fan of Fujimi when there has been a choice of the same kit from a different WL Series manufacturer. I prefer a lighter toned plastic visually, and have found the Fujimi plastic too dark to easily see details as I assemble and prepare for painting, as well as a bit oily or sheeny in feel. But their recent releases have been so varied and diverse, from liners to freighters to the new pop of the Kaga, and now this. So I've bought a number of Fujimi kits in recent months, and the Amagi seems to represent the company heading boldly to further improvements.

Several things of note here:

First time I've seen Fujimi make a capital ship in a multipiece hull - waterline plate, hull sides (one piece) and three deck pieces - bow and stern decks are seperate pieces, with a very small joint mid-ships, where the decks are narrowest in width. First level deck is a seperate piece, simplifying painting or other deck treatments before the first level is glued in place. Fairly easy approach to painting on the Second level deck as well.

Funnels are cast in one piece each - no glue joints on these pieces, and delicate auxiliary piping already in place. Funnel caps provided in plastic and impressively finely detailed.

Two sprues of clear parts - the floatplanes and all searchlights. The searchlights are full units, meaning that now we are challenged to paint the casing rather than the face... not sure if I'll find this an improvement or not.

It is a kit that may just knock everything else on the workbench aside (several kits have earned that distinction in the last few months, none quite complete!) :heh:

Could not recommend a kit more easily out of the box. We will see if assembly holds any surprises.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 pm 

D-Boy wrote:
We will see if assembly holds any surprises.

Take care with the hexapod Pagoda, dry fit it first then assembly with glue. Just my advice after finnishing 2 of them already.I even recomend replace the large poles with plastic rodes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm 

Dan, in the Ishibashi diagrams of IJN Tosa and IJN Amagi, how the biplane was raised on the number 4# turret ? There is no crane for that purpose.Does the Ishibashi diagrams shows a flying off base on number #4 turret ?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 am 

There is no indication of how the a/c was lifted to the platform. However, I believe it was as depicted for the Nagatos, circa 1927. Another boat boom was attached to the base of the triling starboard leg of the mainmast, facing aft. Pretty much the same length. A/C storage on the 01/shelter/HA deck in front of #4 turret.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 am 

Thats interesting to add one more boom in the starboard leg of the mainmast.But still number 4# turret seem to far for the boom to be accessible.
Dan, I was thinking like that there was a small crane like the one in IJN Kongo class in early 1930's, if you have the "Warship Pictorial Number 13:IJN Kongo Class battleships" from Classis Warship Publishing at page 15 and 43 there is a nice piture of it. In picture 59(A picture of IJN Haruna at 1931) the derrick is in "lowered" position.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm 

I think a collapsible crane would be part of one of the refits she would likely have undertaken over time. However, in the as built configuration, in the mid 1920s, this crane does not yet exist. It has to be a boom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 pm 

Hi all!

I am presently mainly into Japanese ships between the 1880s and 1905, but I could not resist to buy an Amagi kit (which is now on the way to my Swiss "harbour" :woo_hoo: ).

Great wealth of information in this thread! Thanks, guys!

What's the present position for what to do concerning the main turrets (in as-built configuration)?

Thanks and cheers,

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm 

Hello Peter Rathgeb. There is no problem with IJN Amagi's turrets, its accurate for the 1920's 40cm turret that Imperial Japanese Navy used.Later, from early '30's, the turrets recieved some upgrades, more armor and increased elevetaion.
So IJN Amagi's turret is correct for this time period that Fujimi's IJN Amagi is released, that means early-mid 1920.
Just IJN Amagi's turrets is a bit simplistic wich is easy to correct actually.Some rigging etc.
:)

Edit:By the way, Fujimi's IJN Amagi has amazing barrels, in details and accuracy (like the rest of Fujimi's Battleships:)

Last edited by Atma on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 pm 

Thank you, Atma.

That's good to hear. Do you know if the Fujimi photoetch set for the Amagi has also some details for the turrets?

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: By the way, and OT for this thread, is there an "as-built" version available for the Nagato or Mutsu? Or can it be made with a relatively simple conversion?

Thanks and cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm 

No there is no add on details for the turrets in the Fujimi PE set.
For the IJN Nagato class turrets, you will need to do a lot of "shaving" to remove the extra armour. And somehow to recude the opening of the eyebrows cause the early type turrets had lower elvetion. If you want to use early turrets for a IJN Nagato class you have two options:Use the one in the IJN Amagi(just add some small generic PE ladders for the missing detail), or the more expensive resin ones, from an old 1925 IJN Nagato that Pit-Road had released some years ago, hard to find kit and expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:07 pm 

Many thanks again, Atma!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:35 pm 

By the way, Peter Rathgeb you said you enjoy building Japanese warships between the 1880s and 1905, where I can find a IJN Katori class battleship ?
And pay some attention in the construction of IJN Amagi's Pagoda, dry fit it first then use glue. The rest of the ship has awesome fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 am 

Atma, I am afraid that there are no kits of the Katori or Kashima battleships. Generally, there is not much around from this period. Modelkrak from Poland had a couple of kits of Japanese ships of the Sino-Japanese and Russo-Japanese Wars time, but they are not very great, much to research and add by yourself. Seals Models (a.k.a. Interallied or Foresight) have some, and they look good. Maybe the Katori class battleships are a candidate for one of the next Seals Models kits? But there are still too many ships of this period not or badly represented. (By the way, I'm talking about 1/700. In 1/350 there are a few ships as well).

Thanks for the tip with the pagoda, I'm looking forward to receiving the kit.

Cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:11 pm 

Mike from IHP gave me a nice idea, to make an IJN Kii class from a IJN Amagi kit. So I decide to build my fifth IJN Amagi as a IJN Kii class, cause IJN Kii class was almost similar to IJN Amagi - actually it was a IJN Tosa class battleship with IJN Amagi's speed-. Anyone can provide me/post here with accurate drwanings of IJN Amagi and IJN Kii class (Dan ?).
Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am 

If I can get some time to scan the Ishibashi book, I will. Very hectic at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 am 

Thanks in advance, Dan :thumbs_up_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next